Temp sending unit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Temp sending unit

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
roblbobx22
1980 CJ5 

Temp sending unit

Hi,

I recently acquired a '80 CJ5. The original temp gauge doesn't work and the PO installed an aftermarket gauge. I have a new sending unit on the way but as I was looking for the old sending unit location, I found it under the t-stat housing but it doesn't look like the one I ordered. I'm new to CJ's so don't know which is right. Here are some pics.

roblbobx22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I've seen some mounted there when a replacement engine was put into the jeep. Normally the Temperature sensor is on the top of the head in the rear

Here is what it looks like when mounted in the front.

You can see your PO made some considerable Modification to attach the mechanical sensor.
Not sure how well it works.

Looks like you might have to remove the thermostat housing to remove the elbow.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
roblbobx22
1980 CJ5 

The mechanical gauge doesn't work and I want to switch it back to the original gauge. What size wire and what kind of connection do I need to go back to the original gauge?
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

16 gauge wire is fine. Soldered ring lugs are best if the sensor and gauge will accept them.
davbytrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

That will work but I don't remember thr nut size on the gauge and sensor. Usually they are just push on connectors.

The original wire (Purple) may still be in there. probably back near the firewall. Just extend the wire to reach the front of the block. Don't let it touch the exhaust manifold though.
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
roblbobx22
1980 CJ5 

I found the original wire on the back of the gauge but haven't traced it past the firewall. If I use a ring lug, is there some kind of boot to protect the connection? Thanks for the help guys.
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Here are some:
http://www.electricalhub.com/battery...inal-insulator

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.