Temp headlight solution - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 09-21-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Bluefire35

Temp headlight solution

So I have a headlight issue I'm not getting any power to the headlights because their is a short somewhere but I'm delaying taking it to the shop so they can find it and temporary solution to get them running like a battery to the headlights then disconnecting it when ever I'm not using it

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Headlights only or headlights and tail lights also? You can pull the plug on the dimmer switch and supply power to the right or left terminal in the plug and power either the low or high beams if the break is before the dimmer switch. If the both high/dim work when you supply power to the different sides of the plug then check for power at the center prong when the headlight switch on the dash is pulled out. If you do have power there then you most likely only have a bad dimmer switch.

Also, you have an open in the circuit, not a short. You may have had a short that caused an open, but if the lights are not working, you have an open.
John Strenk likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 27 Old 09-21-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Bluefire35

Just headlights and I made a jumper cable from the headlights to the parking lights and they would drain my battery even if they were on for only a couple of mins

post #4 of 27 Old 09-21-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Bluefire35

Thanks I'll try that

post #5 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Bluefire35

So I bought a dimmer switch and now one headlight goes on the other one doesn't thanks better one than none

post #6 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 09:10 PM
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefire35 View Post
So I bought a dimmer switch and now one headlight goes on the other one doesn't thanks better one than none

If you only have the one light lite are you sure both bulbs are good? Best solution would be a 30 amp relay with a self reseting circuit breaker, one for the high beam and one for the low beam. Hook the wire from your dimmer switch to the switch side of the relay. Run 12 gauge wire from a battery source to the power in side of the circuit breaker, then to the power in side of the relay. From the relay run 12 or 14 gauge wire to both headlights, there are heavier headlight connectors available also.

By doing this you will have more power to the headlights, making them brighter. And, less amperage draw through the dimmer switch making last longer also!

I own a Harley and a JEEP, still some people can't figure out why I'm broke!
post #7 of 27 Old 09-24-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Bluefire35

Alright cool thanks

post #8 of 27 Old 09-25-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Bluefire35

I got the headlights working it was just a bad connection but I can't switch from high to low beams it's Just low beams and if I click the dimmer they just turned off

post #9 of 27 Old 09-25-2017, 06:16 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
I got the headlights working it was just a bad connection but I can't switch from high to low beams it's Just low beams and if I click the dimmer they just turned off

Was there a plug on the dimmer switch or individual wires?

Cause it could be one of three things.

1 Wired wrong
2 Bad switch
3 Bad plug.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 27 Old 09-25-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Bluefire35

Plug but I'll check the connection again and it's brand new

post #11 of 27 Old 09-26-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Bluefire35

A wire in the plug was disconnected they both when on high and low the only thing is when I was driving it the headlights along with the tail lights would go off and on by them self so maybe it's just haughted atleast their both on

post #12 of 27 Old 09-26-2017, 08:59 PM
1985 CJ7 

Not haunted but getting "OVERLOADED". When they overload, the wires heat up and short out the switch. You need the upgrade harness. I am actually going through this as I type. I finally got every part needed and putting it slowly together. I should, if time allows, have it done by this weekend. I can't wait and its been LONG over due. Get the "headlight harness upgrade" or make one. Good luck!
post #13 of 27 Old 09-26-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Bluefire35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 258 View Post
Not haunted but getting "OVERLOADED". When they overload, the wires heat up and short out the switch. You need the upgrade harness. I am actually going through this as I type. I finally got every part needed and putting it slowly together. I should, if time allows, have it done by this weekend. I can't wait and its been LONG over due. Get the "headlight harness upgrade" or make one. Good luck!
Yea that's what it sounds like do you suggest any ones in particular and is it easy to do

post #14 of 27 Old 09-26-2017, 09:43 PM
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Yea that's what it sounds like do you suggest any ones in particular and is it easy to do

The GOOD one's recommended on here are high in cost. I was going to get this one for half that cost (http://www.rallylights.com/hl282-sms...d-systems.html) but just in a few days time, it went up about $35. So, I decided to make my own for about $45-$55.

Below is a BASIC rendering I made to give me an idea of the wire (12 GA) lengths. The 60" will take you from the headlight plug ABOVE or BELOW the radiator and across then UP or DOWN to the other plug depending on your desires. Once you decide, you can make your final cuts. The details to wiring can be grabbed off several good posts on here. I am in the process of soldering and crimping one end of my wires right now. Then will cut to final lengths I choose.

You can choose any color wire for your own needs. All you need is roughly 10 feet of each color. If time is an issue, buy the one above but they are not cheap if you are on a tight budget. The deal is you will learn so much about your Jeep if you make one yourself; plus you can use high end parts. Your choice but you need this UPGRADE. Good Luck!

P.S. My rendering is BASIC - simply for visualization.
Attached Images

Bluefire35 likes this.
post #15 of 27 Old 09-27-2017, 06:18 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

This thread may help you with the headlight harness/relay upgrade.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/je...ation-2130225/

Matt
258 and Bluefire35 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.