temp gauge troubleshoot - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > temp gauge troubleshoot

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 09-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
broncridingirl
1981 CJ5 

They are both the two post type. I can see a little resistor (I think thats what it is at least) on the back of each gauge. I can't find the link to the instructions that I downloaded, but they don't really say much and actually have a diagram of the OEM type gauges on it anyway. These new gauges do have I and S marked however, I just didn't look for that as I was putting them in. The Fuel gauge has two posts, one is S, the other I think is marked I (didn't actually look for marks on this one once it was installed cause it is working). There is a jumper that goes from the I on the fuel to the I on the temp gauge. This is what I had hooked up incorrectly, originally hooked to the S post on the temp gauge. When it was hooked up that way, the temp gauge never did anything, stayed pegged on Cold. Once I got it switched, with a bad temp sender, it pegged hot when turned on. Now that I have a good temp sender in, it still pegs hot when turned on. So now it is unplugged so I don't fry something more than I already have, and gauge is pegged cold, unhooked.
Hope this helps explain. I'll try to take a picture of the back of the speedo when I get home tonight.
Thank you!!!

broncridingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 03:51 AM   #17
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

OK the two post gauges are different as you know.
There will not be any flashing lights as the resistor is the only regulator in the gauge.
The only way to find out which is wrong is to put some resistors on the gauge and see if the gauge moves properly with the right resistance. Or get an Ohm meter and measure the resistance of the sending unit at the plug that attaches to the gauge, just to make sure there are no shorts in the wire.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #18
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Thanks a lot John, I know you're the man when it comes to the gauges
Once I get some time I'll get back into 'er again and post results.
turbogus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #19
broncridingirl
1981 CJ5 

finally tested the gauge with resistors, and it pretty much pegs hot with any amount of resistance... so I guess I probably fried it when I had it hooked up wrong. The resistance across the gauge is still right at 26, which is the same as what the fuel gauge is showing (and it works).
broncridingirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.