Temp/Fuel Gauges - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Temp/Fuel Gauges

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
adman02
1979 CJ7 

Temp/Fuel Gauges

I've been trying to figure out why my gauges aren't working. I've worked through John Strenk's gauges write-up, but I'm not sure what the results tell me. Here are my numbers:

Fuel
S to Grnd - 36.4 ohms
S to I - 21.6 ohms
S to A - 21.4 ohms
I to A - .6 ohms
I to Grnd - 15.6 ohms
A to Grnd - 15.2 ohms

Temp
S to A - 6 ohms

Fuel sender
64 ohms (tank is pretty low right now)

Am I right in concluding that my fuel sender is fine, but my fuel and temp gauges are toast?

adman02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
samini
1984 CJ7 

I got readings close to the same when going through my brand new gauges, went through all the trouble shooting as described be strenk and finally found out that the little dimples (grounds for the gauges) on the speedometer housing were not quite grounding. I discovered this because I scrapped them with a screwdriver and cleaned them up with a wire brush and viola! it all worked. Try that! and hopefully it works.
Unread 04-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
adman02
1979 CJ7 

Are the dimples you're talking about located inside the speedo cluster? I haven't taken mine apart, but did pull the unit out and clean up the outside with a brass brush. Then I ran a dedicated ground to the cluster. No change. Gauges still unresponsive.
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
brian613
1977 CJ5 

the fuel gauge grounds through the speedo cluster by touching the speedo case. if the back of the fuel gauge is gunked up it wont ground. id put more fuel in the tank then take the speedo cluster apart remove the fuel gauge and clean the back of the gauge (in between the bolts) and then clean the inside of the speedo cluster where the fuel gauge touches
brian613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
adman02
1979 CJ7 

Tore everything down, cleaned it (again) and put it back together again. Found a short in the system and diagnosed a bad temp sender. Rechecked my numbers and they now read:

Fuel
S to Grnd - 72.4 ohms
S to I - 21.5 ohms
S to A - 21.2 ohms
I to A - .4 ohms
I to Grnd - 51.1 ohms
A to Grnd - 51.1 ohms

Temp
S to A - 21.2 ohms

Put five gallons of gas in my 15 gallon tank, but the fuel gauge barely climbs to E. Now I'm thinking my fuel sender is bad. Any thoughts?
Unread 04-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
samini
1984 CJ7 

Where was your short in the system? Did you do the Stenk diagnostics on the sender?
Unread 04-27-2010, 04:33 AM   #7
adman02
1979 CJ7 

Short was in one of two places
  1. Wire strands in the fuse box left over from a PO's "repair" job
  2. Missing bulb in the speedo cluster (wire that goes to the base of the bulb I think may have been shorting the circuit)

Haven't done the Strenk sender diagnostics because I can't reach the top of the fuel tank (no body lift on my jeep).

I have run dedicated grounds, so I'm pretty certain the system is grounded well. The sender is the only thing I haven't checked.
Unread 04-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If your gauge "barely climbs to E" then it is functioning but not accurate. I had my gauges out a while back and I remember there are mechanical adjustments you can make. One or both of the gauges has a slot for a small screwdriver so you can move the needle to where you think it should be. If you don't see an adjustment you can always pull the needle off and move it a bit to be accurate. It may take several tries to get it right. I would start with 1/2 tank or a full tank of gas and go from there.
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
adman02
1979 CJ7 

Dropped the tank today to replace the sender and found out why the old one wasn't working...the float was half full of fuel. Sort of surprised as the float was brass and I couldn't really see any holes in it.

The new sender has a spongey foam float, so little risk of it filling with gas.
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #10
pazur
1981 CJ7 

I don't like I to A .6 ohms. There should be no resistance when there is no current supplied to I. You may have sticked or nearly sticked contacts in the "voltage" regulator. correct me if I am wrong.
pazur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.