tell me what you think about the new project - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > tell me what you think about the new project

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #76
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

the metal has crysillized and cracked so much its more like a honey comb, it's also warpped so there's really no saveing it I'd have to braze the entire thing.

cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #77
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

sorry no update work has me too busy
Unread 12-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #78
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

santa let slip that there was a manifold on it's way today
Unread 12-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #79
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Santa is good that way! Congrats on the manifold.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #80
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

Got a goody in the mail, new fuel fill hose. Now if I can get some time it might make it onto the jeep.

dcp45710.jpg

happy holidays folks
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #81
blackhawk51
1976 CJ5 

Love the jeep, you got a heck of a deal! I look forward to reading more on thiis rebuild.
blackhawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #82
hagan39
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
today I was able to get a few things done,

the SS DIRTY CRUD was out again I drained flushed and filled the trany and transfer case, and tinkered with the bumpers some.

the old trany fluid

Attachment 168209

the old t-case fluid

Attachment 168210

the way I've been filling things

Attachment 168211

rust free metal, tack welded (boy am I out of practice)

Attachment 168212

and a little gift from the wife

Attachment 168213

I know bad pic. it says "cj dog toy/still playing in the mud"
Great idea on refilling those t-cases... will remember for future use.
hagan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #83
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

update

I got around to installing the new fill hose and shocker it's the wrong one.

pc240002.jpg

pc240003.jpg

pc240004.jpg

as you can see the hole for the breather tube is on the wrong side and it's too long, I know I can cut it to fit but there isn't anything I can do about the breather hole.
Unread 12-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #84
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

the Christmas fix

I finally got time to work on the jeep today, so I did a little fab work on the swing out tire Carrier. I know that some of you need your jeep fix so I also took pictures.

the end result of the time I had to work the shovel and pick are just for demo.

pc250001.jpg

I installed spacers to keep the jack from slapping around

pc250003.jpg

and welded in a tube to keep the jack from falling all the way through and take the weight off the lock pins that will keep it from being stolen.

pc250002.jpg

thats all for now hope that satisfies the craving.
now time for a drink and some grub, merry Christmas every one
Unread 12-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #85
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

update

got a little more welding done today before I ran out of wire

upper receptacle for tire carrier

pc260006.jpg

second set of vertical tool storage

pc260004.jpg

and I got started on the support frame for the gas cans but that is were I ran out of wire

pc260005.jpg

any one think I might be putting too much weight on this, the spindle is rated for 3000 pounds but I'm not sure about the frame it's going onto.
Unread 12-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #86
Jp78cj5
1978 CJ5 

I just replaced the original rolled plate angles that my bumper bolted to ( 78CJ5). Fabed new angle brackets out of 3/8 angle. I have a swing out that carries 2 gas cans spare tire (MT's 34" baha claw) high lift and a trail rack. Hit the beach last month A full load plus a bumper box for all the gear and when I hit pavement again my bumper, swing arm, trail rack and bumper box was angled away from the Jeep. When I tore the bumper down, I found the original bent plate angles had rolled diagonally. New actual angles work great. It looks like you are having fun.
Jp78cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #87
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
any one think I might be putting too much weight on this, the spindle is rated for 3000 pounds but I'm not sure about the frame it's going onto.
cj, I think as long as the stop/latch plate on the opposite site incorporates a solid support to prevent movement, the spindle setup will be fine.

Have you done any beef-up work to the crossmember and frame horns to support the extra weight?

Great improvements on the standard swing arm. I really like how all the trail fix-it items are included. Looking forward to the completed project

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #88
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Designing and building is fun and rewarding. Making your project as functional as possible and still keep it efficient is sometimes tough to do. Hard for me to do as I frequently over-build stuff. The weight won't be a factor as long as you prepare for it. Think of a worst-case scenario... rack full of tools, carrier is maxxed on weight, you drop your rear tire off in a hole and WHAM!! All that weight. If you plan for it you will be fine. I am thinking that the tool holders, although functional, are going to allow for a lot of rattling. How are you going to secure your tools once they are loaded up?

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #89
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

The plan was to beef up or lose the rear cross member and run a set of long arms down the frame to try and disperse the weight, still working out the kinks.

as for securing the tools I planned on using locking hitch pins like what you hold the receivers in with, they make some that are small enough that the holes in the tool handles wouldn't be a problem.

please keep the feedback and ideas coming thanks
Unread 12-28-2010, 01:24 AM   #90
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

update

I got a little something in the mail today, new exhaust manifold, I was so exited I forgot to take a picture of it before I installed it.

pc270016.jpg

pc270014.jpg

pc270015.jpg

here is the old one that was shot

pc270017.jpg

I took it out for a test drive, I meant to just go around the block but I was enjoying myself so much and marveling at the new exhaust I just kept on going.

When I was far from any were, it ran out of gas.

No big deal I have a gas can write?

Pour in gas, ....no go.

OK, don't panic yet, you left in shorts and a t-shirt to go around the block, it's dark and getting cold, you have a dead vehicle, in the middle of nowhere, and your cell phone is nice and safe sitting on the work bench at home.

I know, I know.

so grab screwdriver and faster than nascar pull fuel lines to check for flow or blocked filter, nothing.

work my way back all the way to the pump at the tank, still nothing.

so as a last ditch effort I put the pump into my gas can to manually prime it and then reinstalled it, victory!

strait to gas station and then home.

I still can't believe what a difference the exhaust made it really feels almost like a new motor, good times.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.