tell me what you think about the new project - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > tell me what you think about the new project

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 11-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #16
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Looks great, keep us posted w/ updates!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #17
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

the plans are to replace the tie rod, fab some good bumpers with a swing out tire carrier on back to get all that weight of the back of the body. rebuild the rear drive shaft, replace the coolant reservoir. u-pol raptor the inside black and the outside clear color matched to the bug next to it, then on component at a time replace every seal on the jeep.
dcp34872.jpg   dcp34877.jpg   dcp34889.jpg   dcp25402.jpg  
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #18
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

by the way this is the car I traded to get the jeep and tool box/ 93 honda del sol with custom body work
dcp26984.jpg  
Unread 11-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #19
adman02
1979 CJ7 

Sorry to hijack, but my drive shaft looks the same as yours. How bad/dangerous is a DS in this condition? I suspect mine is due to my 4 in lift. What;s the best way to fix this and prevent it in the future?
adman02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #20
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

my ds has probably been that way for a while and what has happened is dirt gets into the slip joint and it wares really bad, that makes it loose and sloppy, which then allows it to spin out of balance, which causes vibration and extra were on u-joints and yokes. if not replaced or rebuilt it will ultimately fail when going down the road, if it brakes at the back it will just spin around tearing up the entire back of the jeep(think big hammer spinning like weed eater) if it breaks up front it will also spin around and destroy everything in reach but just for fun if it hits the ground while you are still moving forward the entire jeep gets shot into the air (think pole vault at 55mpr. been know to total vehicles and kill people) hope that explains it I personally plan on replacing it not rebuilding it once the slip joint is worn the metal is gone and it will never be rite.
Unread 11-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #21
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

didn't get much time to wok on the jeep today so I didn't get allot done, but here it is.

replaced coolant overflow bottle

dcp34912.jpg

replaced heater hoses

dcp34913.jpg

changed oil

flushed coolant(look how pretty green it is)

dcp34914.jpg

tightened valve cover

replaced the belt

replaced the air filter

just got the engine compartment up to date on allot of maintenance

I'll be back at it tomarrow
Unread 11-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #22
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

It's not taking you long to dive into this one.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #23
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I can see a guy selling his Jeep... but his tools?? Wow....

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #24
jeepcj258
1980 CJ5 

I like the 5!
jeepcj258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #25
73jeep
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I can see a guy selling his Jeep... but his tools?? Wow....
For a honda de sol.........
73jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #26
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

yesterday I decided to check the brakes and I'm glad I did. The po did the lift but didn't replace the brake lines with the longer ones I found that they were cracked and leaking from being over extended here's the old one

dcp34921.jpg

I spent most of the day finding replacements the only place that had them was napa but they wanted 35.99 for one at the stock length and would have to order the longer ones. then I found a shop called parker that fabbed them while I waited, and the total bill was only 37.00

dcp34922.jpg
Unread 11-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #27
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

today all I got done was ordering the new rear drive shaft. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.
Unread 11-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #28
benullman
1981 CJ7 

you mentioned replacing all the seals. Thats a hell of an undertaking. I planned on it and figured I could do it in 2 weeks. replacing every seal/gasket in my motor except the head. I am down to the oil pan and valve cover getting paint and put back on this weekend. Then reassemble PS pump and put the pulleys on. Replace the manifolds and put a newly rebuilt weber on.

I can try and provide a list of all the gaskets I used for mine if you would like.

Ben
Unread 12-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #29
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

you could replace all the seal except for the rear main in about 45 minutes not talking about axles and transmission
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:00 AM   #30
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
you could replace all the seal except for the rear main in about 45 minutes not talking about axles and transmission
Id LOVE to se that. Granted I painted everything and I did it section by section it will still take you atleast a weekend.

Ben

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.