Tearing into and cleaning up a Dana 300 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tearing into and cleaning up a Dana 300

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 07-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Tearing into and cleaning up a Dana 300

I have a Dana 300 that I got along with a T18 I have another thread about. I started looking at the 300 today to see what needs to be done with it. With it in neutral, I couldn't get anything to turn so I figured the shafts were frozen. Once I removed the input shaft support along with the input shaft and gears, everything started to spin. I found the input shaft to be the only frozen part in there.
I removed the snap ring and tried to pull the shaft out of the support but it won't budge. The rear output shaft gear was the one that was pretty rusted looking, but again its mostly just dirt and gunk. It has very little pitting on just a few teeth, but I was able to clean most of it off.

And after a few minutes with the bench grinder-

The top of the case also has some of this surface rust/ gunk in it, so I'm wondering if this thing got some water in through the front input and it sat upside down. The top of the case looks like this-

The only other gear with gunk on it was this one and it cleaned up nice-

So I put the input support/ shaft in an oil bath and I'll let it sit for awhile. I was thinking I would try Evapo-Rust and just pour it into the top of the case and let it clean that up.

I have a question about the gears and shifting. I want to make sure its going through all of the gears correctly because I can't get it to shift onto some of the gears. I know about the poppet balls keeping you from shifting into certain gears, but I'm not familiar with the function of the TC enough to know if its working correctly. Also, looking at this thing upside down through the bottom cover while I'm trying to pull on the shift rods is confusing.
In all the pics, the rear of the case is at the top of the pic, and again I'm shooting through the bottom cover. Also, the input shaft has been removed so the rear output gear on the input shaft is missing from the lower left of the case.
In this pic, the front output is turning and the rear isn't-

I don't know if thats correct because I don't know why you'd ever have just the front turning?
In this pic, both front and rear are turning. Is this 4wd high or low?

In this one, only the rear is turning-

In this pic, as hard as I pull, I can't get the clutch sleeve to move down onto this gear. Is it supposed to?

Thanks for any help. I tried running this thing through the gears as much as I could trying to find out what gear was what, but with it upside down and without actually having a shift lever on it, it was very confusing to me.

Thanks for any help.

Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Did you notice if the PO had a boat? May have sold you his old anchor...
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

I think you might want to replace that input gear. It will probably make noise with those pits.

I would just take it all apart and clean it up. I don't think you can screw it up as you get all of the rollers in the idler. I did mine recently and you pretty much cannot put it together wrong as long as both shift rods move to both ends you are good.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

I poured some evapo rust in the case and let sit for a few days and when I dumped it out I had clean iron. I really like that stuff. Ive had the input shaft in a bucket of oil to break it loose from the input support. The shaft was frozen in the support and wouldn't spin. I hit the input a few times and its now spinning freely but it still wont come out of the support. Ive removed the small snap ring by the gear but its not budging. Is there something else holding the input shaft in the support.
Unread 08-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Also, can a 300 be rebuilt without a press? I know I'll need to replace everything on the input shaft so I might as well just get a master rebuild kit if I don't have to use a press to do it.
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dborns View Post
Also, can a 300 be rebuilt without a press? I know I'll need to replace everything on the input shaft so I might as well just get a master rebuild kit if I don't have to use a press to do it.
You can take it all the way apart with a puller inside the case but I think you need a press to put it back together. I think I needed the press twice and once was a total pain as I had to have the whole case in the press so it was a 2 person job.
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Ok, I may just replace the parts on the input shaft and not take the whole thing apart. I pulled the back cover to the front output shaft and everything in there looked shiny and clean, so maybe just that front bearing and gear need to be replaced. Both the FSM and Ludels book show you need a press to remove the shafts, but I hadn't seen anyone mention that on here.

Thanks
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

When I installed my 4:1 Lomax, I had to use a press to remove one of the inner bearings. I have some photos, and all the extra gears and pieces from the stock setup. They are in excellent shape, I just wanted the lower gears. PM me if interested...

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Ok, I may just replace the parts on the input shaft and not take the whole thing apart. I pulled the back cover to the front output shaft and everything in there looked shiny and clean, so maybe just that front bearing and gear need to be replaced. Both the FSM and Ludels book show you need a press to remove the shafts, but I hadn't seen anyone mention that on here.

Thanks
You can put a puller inside the case and push against the case rather than use bolt to push the shaft out but I think you need a press to get it in. You can take the idler gear out without a press, I would recommend doing that to make sure the bearings in it are good.
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

I came home to a heavy package on the porch and found that Truck633 had sent me all the gears to replace the pitted ones in my Dana 300. Thanks, Truck633, thats really going to help!
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

I'm going to work on this during the week and now that I have basically new gears thanks to Truck633, I only need a few items to put this thing back together. All of the bearings look clean except that input bearing that was frozen so I'll replace it. When I disassembled the input shaft, I didn't find any of the shims on it. So either it didn't have any installed, or they rusted away.
I know its a stretch, but does anyone have a set of shims that that they don't need? Maybe some that weren't needed on a rebuild? I'd pay for a set if anyone has some, Morris wants $34 for them???
Thanks
Unread 08-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I'm going to work on this during the week and now that I have basically new gears thanks to Truck633, I only need a few items to put this thing back together. All of the bearings look clean except that input bearing that was frozen so I'll replace it. When I disassembled the input shaft, I didn't find any of the shims on it. So either it didn't have any installed, or they rusted away.
I know its a stretch, but does anyone have a set of shims that that they don't need? Maybe some that weren't needed on a rebuild? I'd pay for a set if anyone has some, Morris wants $34 for them???
Thanks
I have shims for under the 4 bolt cover but the other shims do not come in the kit. I think it is unlikely they rusted away, more likely you did not need them. Mine were paper thin if I remember right.
Unread 08-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

I thought even if they rusted away I would find remnants in there but didn't. I'll put a dial indicator on it to be sure. I don't understand why that little shim pack would cost that much so hopefully I wont need them.
Thanks for the help.
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

I got the seal and gasket kit today from Morris. Its a Crown kit that has 3 gaskets. The rectangle one is obvious where it goes but there are a black and off white colored one that I have no idea where they go to. The black one is big and has a large circle in the middle of it. I thought maybe that went on around the input shaft support and sealed up the transfer case to transmission, but the hole in it doesn't fit around the support. The cream colored gasket also has a large round hole that does fit around the support but none of the holes in the gasket match up to any bolt holes. Do I just use rtv on the input shaft support or do these gaskets have a use?
Unread 08-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Deleted message, found the answer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.