Teardown and Repair my 1985 CJ-7 Laredo - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Teardown and Repair my 1985 CJ-7 Laredo

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-15-2014, 05:52 AM   #91
lugnut28

1985 CJ7 

Yes the lettering on mine is off also. I've been waiting to see if it all gets corrected before I look into some new ones.

lugnut28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #92
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I did my friends 1985 Laredo decals a couple of years ago and the decals came from Phoenix. The only trouble we had was the stripe on rear side panel was two pieces and didn't quite match in width were they met. We had to actually stretch the one end so it would match the other piece so the overlaps would match correctly. Came out great and you could never tell it was done.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #93
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Back at it again this weekend. I really want to get this project done!!

Did some prep and repair work on the frame and it's almost ready to paint. Just need to clean it one more time and sand down the rough spots before I do that.

Friend came over and did some welding for me. To some it probably isn't pretty, but it's strong and won't fall apart. I used plain steel washers with the ID the same size as the original body mount holes to reinforce all the body mount points. Seems like the frames like to rust thinner there so wanted to do this for peace of mind. Also he welded up 8 holes on each side where I once had nerf bars mounted to it. Had to replace one welded in nut for the steering box support and one nut at the rear for the shackle hanger. I'll be cleaning out all the nutserts and studs and so on with a tap/die after painting and before putting back together.

Then I put the frame upright and tapped down the inside and outside of each rail with a hammer to loosen up any flaky stuff inside and flushed it out. Amazing the amount of crud that builds up on the insides of these frames. No wonder so many rust out. If anyone is wondering.. I have windows cut in the rear crossmember to allow flushing out the inside of the frame.

Next installment will be cleaning up and re-sealing transmission and transfer case.

Here's the pics of where I'm at now. Just waiting for roommate to get home from work so frame can go on sawhorses and I can get sanding and hopefully primed today. Also pics of my plow Jeep that is really rotted, but all original 66k mile Renegade that the only thing I can see has ever been done is it was given a really bad exterior respray. I don't think any of the bolts have ever been removed. I wish it had less rust but the tub is shot. It will be very helpful though to show me where everything goes when I put the Laredo back together!

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #94
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Decent progress this weekend. My transfer case was leaking so new seals were in order for that. When I removed the front yoke I discovered why I was leaking. Groove worn into the yoke by the seal. So new genuine Spicer yokes installed front and rear, new seals and lower gasket. On the yokes I had to remove the small slingers that came pre-installed on them and put the original larger slingers on from the old yokes.. Just a little heat from the oxy/acetylene torch and they slide right off due to expansion. Now just a little cleaning and will be repainted black. I won't be doing anything with the T-176 transmission due to it having new input bearing not long before I tore the Jeep down so it's in good working order. Just clean it up to re-install.

Then back to the frame. Got it all cleaned up, primed and painted between yesterday afternoon and today. I initially started out with Eastwood Chassis Black but boy that stuff doesn't go very far. Had a quart of it and only got one light coat on about half of the frame. Put on two good coats of Rust-Oleum Industrial Gloss Black (gallon can) and it covers well and hopefully holds up well.

Next project will be the axles, which I had already installed 2-piece Moser shafts, re-geared to 3.73 and has new rear brake shoes and drums so they will just be cleaned up and painted. Hopefully I'll be putting up pictures of a completed chassis next weekend!

The YJ Tub is almost ready for final body work as well. Only have to do final welding on tailgate striker/cable brackets, weld in the parking brake bracket that mounts to the A-pillar and I'm filling in the centers of the "Jeep" stamping on the new replacement side panel. The stamping of the inside of the letters is way wrong and there's no way the replacement "Jeep" decals would fit those letters so it will be a Joop just like the original panel was. The size is correct, but the inner stamping of the letters is wrong as far as I can see comparing it to the older OEM Jeep stampings used until mid-1984.

Unread 07-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #95
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Definitely making great progress lately on the Jeep project! I finally found an original OEM tilt steering column to replace my original that I butchered to make it compatible with YJ steering column dimmer and wiper switch when I wranglerized the CJ in 1998 and my decal kit came in from Phoenix Graphix. Also have gotten the rear AMC 20 axle cleaned up and painted. I started on the springs today but having difficulty getting the 15 year old poly bushings out of the spring eyes. My friends that are helping me are great to say the least. One has spent a good amount of time here this week doing the final body fill on the side panels and the other spent hours here today finishing up welding on the various brackets required on a CJ that a YJ tub doesn't have and also filling holes in the firewall that CJ's didn't have. He also repaired a bad section of my original 1985 hood using a piece we cut out of the 1985 Garnet Red Renegade parts Jeep shown above. The front of that hood is rotted out and the back section that mine needed was good so it worked out well. The final welding that the tub needed was at the A Pillar which if you go back to the beginning stages of the thread you'll see that rot hole is what started this whole project.

The next step will be to power wash the inside and bottom of the tub, prime those areas and apply needed seam sealer. I will then be painting the bottom and inside of the tub with the industrial Rust-Oleum paint that I used on the frame. Once he finishes the final glaze, block sanding, primer, and more block sanding on the outside I will then trailer all the body pieces to another friend's garage who will be spraying the final base/clear black finish on the exterior panels. He has a section of his garage he has converted to a spray booth so it will come out much cleaner than if I tried to paint it in my dirty garage.

Here's pics of the progress so far:

Getting the filler on the side panels:

Block sanding it out so there's no ridges. Unfortunately doing this will hide the original imperfections from OEM spotwelding of the tub but we can't win them all.

Other friend welding in the patch for where the outer sheetmetal rotted away at the A pillar and door opening:

Repairing the original 1985 OEM hood using a patch from a donor OEM 1985 Garnet Red Renegade hood.

Welded up unused holes in the YJ firewall and welded in a patch where the YJ MCU harness passes thru. It passed thru near where the CJ speedometer cable goes rather than near the battery on a CJ. Also welded in missing weld-nuts for battery tray and dash panel:

Patch welded in at A Pillar and door opening, and also parking brake pedal assembly bracket welded to inside of A pillar:

AMC 20 axle cleaned up, prepped, primed and painted:

Transmission/transfer case crossmember cleaned up and repainted:

Shot of the welder being used for the project... Lincoln 180C mig. Great little machine!! Wish I was as handy with it as my buddy Drew is... He makes welding the sheet metal look easy, but that's what he does for a living is welding; anything from 20ga sheet metal to heavy iron pipe.

And finally, the 1985-1986 Laredo decal kit from Phoenix Graphix in the "silvers" as my Jeep originally came equipped with in 1985:

I'm hoping to have this looking like a Jeep again within a month. Wish me luck!

Unread 07-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #96
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

A little more done today but not as much as I would have liked because I was plagued by rain earlier in the day so couldn't get any of the outside work done (axles, etc).

Got the OEM CJ windshield hinges freed up and fitted up to the YJ tub then fitted the Crown windshield frame to the hinges. Still not sure what the height off the top of the cowl is supposed to be so I've stopped here for the night. In the pictures you can see that the lip that is controversial measures out to be 3/8" What were the OEM frames? I suppose I could free up the hinges on the old '85 Renegade that still has it's original w/s frame to find out.. It actually looks to be in good shape from the visible areas, I don't know what shape the bottom of it is under the seal though. If I knew it was all good with no rust-through I'd probably use it on this project to retain as much OEM sheet metal as possible.

I also stripped the windshield frame bumper hardware off the Renegade hood in hopes of using it on my OEM hood. It's all original AMC/Jeep hardware, the fully rubber coated bumpers and footman loop and appears to have never been removed since new. Even when they did their crappy respray it was left in place so I've been soaking it in brake fluid today since that will lift the paint but not attack the rubber. So far the bumpers are about 99% stripped but the footman loop needs more time so I'll leave them soaking overnight. One bumper has a small nick out of the rubber but that doesn't bother me too much, unless someone has a nice unmolested one they'd like to send me these will be going on the hood after repaint.

Here's a couple pics of the windshield frame on the tub and of the hood hardware:

I haven't seen any replies in the last few updates.. Is anyone following my project anymore?

Unread 07-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #97
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I am! Looks good! Don't forget to transfer your firewall heat shield (if you using the straight 6).

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 11:28 PM   #98
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
I am! Looks good! Don't forget to transfer your firewall heat shield (if you using the straight 6).
I would.. If I had one to transfer. The one on the beater Renegade is rusted away. If anyone has a spare hanging around I'll gladly take it off your hands

Unread 07-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #99
stgil
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
I did my friends 1985 Laredo decals a couple of years ago and the decals came from Phoenix. The only trouble we had was the stripe on rear side panel was two pieces and didn't quite match in width were they met. We had to actually stretch the one end so it would match the other piece so the overlaps would match correctly. Came out great and you could never tell it was done.

Hello Keith,

The sides panels tub ('82 Laredo silver kit from Phoenix ) are now too long... need to be cut to fit perfectly!

Anyway, nice work BlkCJ7Laredo keep going!

Regards,

Gilles
Unread 07-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #100
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgil View Post
Hello Keith,

The sides panels tub ('82 Laredo silver kit from Phoenix ) are now too long... need to be cut to fit perfectly!

Anyway, nice work BlkCJ7Laredo keep going!

Regards,

Gilles
Thanks Gilles. Love how your project has turned out. Outstanding work!

When you say the side decals are too long, do two pieces come together at any point on the side panel? I know with the 1985-1986 kit where the wheel arch meets the bottom rocker stripe even the original OEM decals overlapped about 1/2" just ahead of the rear wheels.

Unread 07-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #101
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Looking good. Hope to get a little further on my project this week while I'm on staycation. Nice to have other builds to reference.
GFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #102
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFox View Post
Looking good. Hope to get a little further on my project this week while I'm on staycation. Nice to have other builds to reference.
Thanks GFox. Your build looks like it's coming along well too until you had the snag with the engine. It's amazing how much the chrome rims clean up once you get that old clear off them.

So what's the consensus on the heat shields? The YJ tub didn't have them, and my beater rusted out Renegade they're in rough shape, the one under the rear floor section is just about missing. Do I really need them, or is it just another item that "should" be there to make the tub CJ correct?

If they do really help keeping heat off the floorboards does anyone have a bombed out tub that I could get them from for a reasonable fee? Or if someone has a set that's off the Jeep maybe somehow be able to get them copied for me? Again.. I'll pay reasonable prices for any parts I need.

Thanks!

Unread 07-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #103
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Been thinking about the heat shield thing myself. Not sure which approach I'm gonna take yet. It's covered pretty well in another thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/id...hield-1077205/
GFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #104
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFox View Post
Been thinking about the heat shield thing myself. Not sure which approach I'm gonna take yet. It's covered pretty well in another thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/id...hield-1077205/
Yes, it's covered very well in that thread. I'm looking for the one that Keith has welded to his firewall and circled in his pics. Looks like it'd be simple enough to recreate it out of sheetmetal then weld it on the tub. If only I had a template.

Unread 07-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #105
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Ed, I'll be honest, I have a few of them but I also have a few YJ tubs that are in line for CJ's I build.....meaning I don't have extras, but Ill be glad to make a template for you and sent it with pics and measurements.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.