Teardown and Repair my 1985 CJ-7 Laredo - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Teardown and Repair my 1985 CJ-7 Laredo

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #76
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Finally back at it!!

After 2 years of mostly stalling I'm in gear again and hope to have a working Jeep this year.

New side panel is lined up, and tacked into place. Tomorrow I'm pulling the tub off the frame to finish up the welding and prep the chassis. The work on the tub can be done while it's off the Jeep.

I think I'll be using this tub for this CJ and my repli-tub on the plow Jeep since there's just so many things not yet perfected on the repli-tubs.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #77
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Did a little mock up work with the fenders and hood to see how everything is going to come together once I get to the painting stage. Looks like all is going to be well.

Unread 05-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #78
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

Nice work....keep it up!
scooby533 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #79
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

After fitting up the fenders and hood ran into a little snag. Did some more work on it last night. The side panel was back about 1/4" from the front of the tub so had to split the few tack welds we put in and shifted it forward and tacked it back down. Now the door fits I'd say somewhat good... CJ doors never fit really well anyway. Anyway, here goes:

Unread 05-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #80
lugnut28

1985 CJ7 

I believe I would align the panel on the door side and add material to the front of the panel. Just my 2 cents.
lugnut28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #81
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I'm guessing you have a MD Juan side panel attached to the OEM cowl section? I remember the body modifications working on a Repli-tub all to well and can see it has the same effect on your project. But, looks good no matter what!

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #82
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

The panel is lined up with both the door opening and the front of the cowl. It's just hard to tell from the pictures.

The panel isn't from MD Juan. This is made by Cobra King in Taiwan unfortunately. You truely can't win with any of the parts. How was AMC/Jeep and Chrysler able to make good stampings and neither of these companies are able to get them right is beyond me. Also the B pillar is off by about 1/4" so I have to modify the door striker assembly.

Unread 06-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #83
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Making more progress today. Got the tub off the chassis and flipped upside down in the garage for more welding on the bottom and to prep it. Will get the chassis ready during this phase also.

Unread 06-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #84
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I'm getting a list of final items I will need to put it back together. I'm having trouble finding a few things though. If anyone can help feel free to message me. I'm looking for the following:

OEM tilt steering column

3/8" thick plastic spacer that goes between carb and intake.

OEM brackets for steering stabilizer.

I think that is all I'm lacking right now that I don't already have.

Thanks all!

Unread 06-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #85
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Got everything stripped off the frame today. Considering when I sandblasted it and coated with POR15 in 1998 I didn't topcoat it like POR suggested it has held up fairly well. I don't think I'll blast it again, just sand it down smoother and shoot it with Eastwood Chassis Black.

Broke the stud off the spring plate in the RH rear for the shock. I'll need a new one of those now, and also need better shock towers... both of mine are rusted thru. Luckily the POR was shaded from the sun behind them so the frame didn't suffer the same rusty fate.

What is the proper "Nutsert" to use for the brake proportioning valve? Looks like it broke off when I did the first restore as I had fished a 1/4-20 nut thru a hole in the frame to hold one of the bolts in.

Here's pics of the progress:

Unread 06-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #86
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Not a lot of progress since the last installment but moving along none the less.

Got the insert taken care of with a tool that I found. I think I'll use these inserts for all the 1/4-20 bolts that go in the frame to hold the fuel and brake line clips. Also will use them for a couple of the dash screw holes that don't have threads on the YJ tub.

Sprayed the entire frame down with some really good cleaner that's similar to Simple Green or Purple Power. Scrubbed with a scrub brush and it's cleaned up pretty good. I've only got to do some minimal sanding and blast a few small areas that I didn't get good enough in 1998. While POR 15 isn't the end all-be all, I guess it did a pretty good job considering I didn't topcoat it as they suggested.

And my tires came in! Shiny new stuff like this gives me a little more bump to get going and get this project completed!

The weld work on the tub is almost completed so soon it will transition to body work to get everything ready for paint. I'll probably order my decal kit soon. I'll be using the 1985-86 Silver Laredo decal kit. I see that Pheonix Graphix and Austin Jeeps both sell the kits that duplicate the factory stripes. Are the kits one in the same or is one better than the other? I want to be sure that I have the freshest and most accurate decals when I get to that stage.

Unread 06-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #87
lugnut28

1985 CJ7 

I bought mine from Austin Jeeps 7 years ago and they were not quite right. I have seen pictures of the Phoenix ones and they look more accurate. Let me dig up a picture of mine to show you what I'm talking about.
Unread 06-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #88
lugnut28

1985 CJ7 

image-3959062419.jpg

image-4021576305.jpg

In the pictures you can see the different arc on the fender stripes
Unread 06-15-2014, 12:00 AM   #89
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I've heard about that arc on the fenders not being right, and I can see now in your pics that it's not hearsay. How would you say the "LAREDO" hood lettering compares to original? The font looks a little different to me.

I guess maybe I should shoot George a note about these.. He's done quite a few Laredos plus has two originals sitting in his garage last I knew...

Unread 06-15-2014, 12:37 AM   #90
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Check out this one on page 2 he shows pics with the entire decal set installed..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/he...aredo-1342742/

By searching his other posts I'm guessing he got them from Pheonix.. I guess I'll be shopping there. The arch on the fender looks correct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.