Teardown and Repair my 1985 CJ-7 Laredo - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Teardown and Repair my 1985 CJ-7 Laredo

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #61
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

As I read on another forum.. "I love the smell of NOS in the morning"

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #62
wm69

So you WAXED the face of your speedo? I took mine apart and cleaned everything, and painted the needle, but I didn't think about waxing it.

On that note, has anyone figured out a way to keep condensation out of the oil and volt gauges? I have mine cleaned up but around here it stays humid and I often get condensation on those two gauges on the inside of the lens.

Weapon, NOS fuel and temp gauges are out there, but pricey. I found a set on g503 for $55. Had them for a few years, but have a set of used gauges that work find and look good, so I sold the NOS gauges on ebay. IIRC I got about $125 each for them! (I'm engaged, had to have the $$$)

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #63
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
So you WAXED the face of your speedo? I took mine apart and cleaned everything, and painted the needle, but I didn't think about waxing it.

On that note, has anyone figured out a way to keep condensation out of the oil and volt gauges? I have mine cleaned up but around here it stays humid and I often get condensation on those two gauges on the inside of the lens.

Weapon, NOS fuel and temp gauges are out there, but pricey. I found a set on g503 for $55. Had them for a few years, but have a set of used gauges that work find and look good, so I sold the NOS gauges on ebay. IIRC I got about $125 each for them! (I'm engaged, had to have the $$$)

Yes I waxed it. It gives the face a nice deep rich black look and brightened up the white and blue printing a little since it's had 27 years to get dull. I think it turned out well. About the only thing it didn't do is bring back the over 55 orange as bright as they were originally.

What is this g503 you speak of? I'm always looking for other places than ebay and craigslist to find Jeep parts

Unread 09-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #64
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Wow! looks like some crazy stuff! nice work on the tub patches
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #65
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Progress has slowed down some in the past month or so. Fall events, getting things ready for winter and such have brought the project almost to a standstill. Here's the lastest progress over the past few weeks:

Had to push the Jeep outside to make room for birthday party we have every year (on September 29th) for a few of us that all our birthdays fall within a few days:

Got the Jeep back in the garage and finished getting the side panel and LH rear corner cut off. We had already patched the hole for the YJ fuel filler but since the side panel was coming off we decided to replace the corner as well.

Test fit the new side panel. Looks like it's going to fit properly.

Cut the "Joop" stamping out of the original panel. This will need to be spliced into the new side panel since the "Jeep" stamping is not correct for the year of my Jeep (mid 84 and newer are Joops) and it's not even the correct font compared to the '76-mid '84 that were stamped "Jeep"

Now I need to do some repairs to the floorboards in the driver's foot area and where the B Pillar mounts to the floor. I bought new panels from Quadratec that are KeyParts brand that appear to be exact duplicates of the original. Hopefully when installed correctly you won't know anything was ever done to the floors.

From there we will just need to do some spot blasting to the firewall where the side panel mounts to it and the lips of the fenderwells that have some surface rust developing. Then finally this thing will start coming back together instead of coming further apart!

Unread 11-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #66
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

"Cut the "Joop" stamping out of the original panel. This will need to be spliced into the new side panel since the "Jeep" stamping is not correct for the year of my Jeep (mid 84 and newer are Joops) and it's not even the correct font compared to the '76-mid '84 that were stamped "Jeep"

Are you saying the factory put out some "Joop"s? I never knew this. I always thought (when I seen them) people had repaired the area and were just too lazy to detail the putty back out of the eep centers.

I guess it's safe to say you've changed your mind about doing any major body repair yourself, huh? Looking good.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #67
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

All tubs from mid-84 on thru '95 were stamped "Joop" there's a few threads about it here.

Keith460's original tub was a "Joop" but his repli-tub is "Jeep". It is the correct "Jeep" stamping though unlike the replacement side panel that I bought.

I really didn't want to get into the body as much as I have had to. It just happens that the further I have went, the more I have found rusted. Right now I'm into this tub for about $600 in panels to repair it.

Had I known that there was this much hidden rust I would have purchased a "scratch and dent" repli-tub from Jeep Hut as they seem to regularly have the Jeep stamped tubs for about $2300 and the generic tubs for about $1900.

We will see how the installation of the floorboard panels and side panel goes and that will determine what I do from there. If it ends up looking like it's not going to turn out undetectable when finished then the tub will be replaced with a new one.

Unread 11-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #68
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

If I would have had the money I would have went with a new repli-tub. Then I'd have had a new frame and tub!! But as it stands now I've got probably 350-$400 in the tub, $270 for both floors front to rear and the rest in misc. sheetmetal that I either bent or had bent. But it's costing me a ton of time and that's what is most frustrating for me. Rewarding, but frustrating. I miss driving it!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #69
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
If I would have had the money I would have went with a new repli-tub. Then I'd have had a new frame and tub!! But as it stands now I've got probably 350-$400 in the tub, $270 for both floors front to rear and the rest in misc. sheetmetal that I either bent or had bent. But it's costing me a ton of time and that's what is most frustrating for me. Rewarding, but frustrating. I miss driving it!
I miss driving mine too. What I thought was just going to be a few weeks project has turned into months. I certainly hope it doesn't end up years. I had hoped to be done with the tub by now and onto blasting and refinishing the frame but that's going to have to wait until spring

Unread 11-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #70
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCJ7Laredo View Post
Test fit the new side panel. Looks like it's going to fit properly.

Cut the "Joop" stamping out of the original panel. This will need to be spliced into the new side panel since the "Jeep" stamping is not correct for the year of my Jeep (mid 84 and newer are Joops) and it's not even the correct font compared to the '76-mid '84 that were stamped "Jeep"
What makes that 'Jeep' script incorrect? Hard to see what's wrong in the picture and is that panel from Classic Enterprises? I've read somewhere that people who purchased the side panel from them did not like the Jeep script on their panels.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #71
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
What makes that 'Jeep' script incorrect? Hard to see what's wrong in the picture and is that panel from Classic Enterprises? I've read somewhere that people who purchased the side panel from them did not like the Jeep script on their panels.
Hey Keith,

Check out my earlier thread on the side panels: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ne...-jeep-1383012/

That shows what's wrong with the "Jeep" script compared to pictures from your repli-tub. This panel is another Cobra King panel like the first one from that thead except it's not dented and bent up like that one was.

Unread 06-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #72
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Its been 6 months since you posted progress. How's it going?

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #73
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Thanks for bringing this up! It hasn't progressed much at all. I decided to get a new tub for this CJ (which I got when I was 16) but I don't want to take the YJ tub off my frame until the panels are reattached so it doesn't take the tub out of square. I need to find a new person to do welding for me as that's not one of my stronger points. I think I have found someone, it's just a matter of him having the time to get that done.

I purchased a 1985 CJ7 Renegade this spring that's in really rough shape to use for a plow Jeep. This tub will be going on that so once that's done I can begin concentrating on the restore again.

C'mon folks give me some kicks to get me going at full speed on this again!

Unread 06-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #74
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Finally making progress again!! This tub won't be staying on this Jeep but I need to put it back together before removing it because I don't want to get the tub out of square. I'll be using this tub on a Jeep I picked up for snow-plowing. Once the tub is together it will come off and then I can continue on the project.

I will be starting a new thread for the Project Plow Jeep because I'll be doing a little fixer upper on that which I have to do first so I have a plow vehicle for this winter. I'll be cleaning/repairing the frame and installing this tub, and also new fenders.

And yes, that's the gas tank on the front of it. I'll be installing a new tank and running new fuel and brake lines as well. This won't be a show restoration, only fixing it up to be solid and roadworthy as it will be exposed to salt in the winter time with plowing and all. I will repaint it in the original Garnet Red and if I'm feeling froggy maybe even splurge for the original Renegade decal set. I can see were the original decals were under the paint in places so I'm fairly certain it was a Renegade. 66000 original miles.

Unread 02-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #75
GFox
1985 CJ7 

I enjoy reading all the discussions regarding Jeep and Joop. My '85 is a Joop on both sides but I'm replacing it with a replitub. I'm considering filling in the e's with filler or weld to transform it into Joop! A funny thing, since MD Juan went through so much trouble to have it! Quite the project you've got there! Look forward to more progress.
GFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.