Teardown and Repair my 1985 CJ-7 Laredo - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Teardown and Repair my 1985 CJ-7 Laredo

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 08-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #46
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

That looks like a truck load of useful parts you got there. What's in the AMC/Jeep RENAULT box?

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #47
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCJ7Laredo

Thanks!

Things are moving along pretty slow the past few days. The guy I got the parts Jeep from has an '83 CJ that we are doing a ring and pinion change in from 2.73 to 4.10 so that is tying up my time. He did donate a truck load of parts today though, and I've begun to receive some of the NOS parts that I have been ordering to complete this build. We are going to work on it some more on Sunday. I'm hoping that Classic Industries will have the cowl reinforcement available soon that they've been working on so I can just put a new piece on the driver's side instead of trying to repair the original one. I called Monday and they said about 2 weeks, so that's better than the "about a month" response I've gotten the past two times I've called them on it.
What wheels are those? I like them... Hmmm
Unread 08-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #48
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
That looks like a truck load of useful parts you got there. What's in the AMC/Jeep RENAULT box?
That would be the upper bowl/lock housing for the steering column. I had converted my column to the newer type that had the dimmer on the signal stalk like YJ's had when I put the YJ tub on in 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
What wheels are those? I like them... Hmmm
Complete set of 5 OEM white wagon wheels and the set of OEM center caps is in the Bud box.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #49
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

The past two weeks I worked on a buddy's CJ-7 changing his gears from 2.73 to 4.10. Now today back to my project... Completed the patch work on the passenger side and got all the welds ground down. Then we started on grafting the defroster section removed from the parts Jeep a few installments back. Almost out of gas mix on the welder so the final finishing of it may have to wait until next weekend.

Here's pics from today:

Unread 08-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #50
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Got a little bit more done today but not much. Had a few problems with the sandblaster that took some time and a trip to Tractor Supply Company. Does anyone here have a Harbor Freight 40lb pressurized sandblaster? Mine keeps clogging up on the bottom and wondered if anyone had any remedy?

We did get the new defroster duct section cleaned up, blasted, then soaked in Prep & Etch and now it's drying. We're so close to being out of gas on the welder that we are going to wait to do the install after I get the tank filled. We did put bolt the dash up to the tub and made sure everything was going to line up ok. I know someone will say something about not having the proper attire on for the blasting pic but that was just trying to get the blaster set up to run. We had to go get new hoses and more sand before he actually blasted the part.

Then we took the wheels/tires off that I bartered with my buddy for helping with the work on the CJ. Put on the OEM white wagon wheels that I got for working on the '83 CJ gear change. Then we unbolted and removed the transmission/transfer case assembly bolted to the skidplate. Must be my Dad did a good job welding in new captured nuts because all 6 bolts came out easy as can be even after 14 years. Used the engine hoise to lower it down thru the floor plate hole just like I seen Keith460 do in one of his pictures. Worked out great. Also found one of the engine to bellhousing bolts that I searched high and low for and couldn't find before. I even bought a set off ebay so I'd have the correct bolts and it had simply fallen into the skid plate tray. At least I have extras now.

Unread 09-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #51
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Spent a little time with a couple speedometer heads trying to make one the nicest so I can install after my build is done. I think this turned out pretty good. Set the odometer to match the one that was in the Jeep (this one is a little cleaner and clearer) and waxed the face of the speedo and the temp and fuel gauges. I had already painted the needles a couple weeks ago with new flourescent paint.

Once these finally give up the ghost, I have all new NOS OEM fuel, temp, oil and volt gauges

Unread 09-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #52
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

More progress today. Picked up a little in the garage and moved some things around including the Jeep. Since we will be concentrating on the driver's side now after today's progress we decided to turn the Jeep around to give a lot more working space. Also finally removed the accelerator pedal, clutch/brake pedal assembly and the other few small items to give a completely bare tub. Got the cowl plate defroster section removed from the parts Jeep all prepped, trimmed and welded into place. Need some fresh grinding discs to finish it up but it's mostly done. Tomorrow we will begin fixing the rust issues on the driver's side of the tub in the rocker area. Once that metal work is done, it will finally be time to pull the tub.

I'm also throwing a couple firewall pictures in here. If anyone has any first hand knowledge I need to know which holes stay, which ones I need to fill in, and any holes that need to be added to be CJ-accurate. Thanks everyone!

Unread 09-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #53
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

This weekend we tore into the side panel. I had previously ordered a complete side panel with Jeep logo and sent it back because it was dented and the Jeep logo was wrong. Well we decided that the left side needed too many patches to do a good job on it so I ordered another one, and had a little better luck this time. The new panel doesn't have any dents so that is a good thing. The Jeep logo is still wrong so we will be cutting that out and using the Joop logo off my tub.

We started by taking many measurements around the tub to be sure everything stays square as we do the replacement. Then Tyler started separating the spot welds to get the panel off. Time was short this weekend so we only got partially done. We also found two places on the floorboards that need repair so I'm going to be getting the Key Parts pans to fix that as those appear to be the best quality vs. price.

Here's the pics:

Unread 09-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #54
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Hmm, and I thought a Repli-tub was a lot of prep work to get it up to CJ standards. You have me beat on that one!

What is that "hump" on the floor of the YJ tub, just ahead of where the roll bar mount, used for? At least it looks like Chrysler painted the tub BEFORE installing the roll bars unlike AMC did.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #55
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

When this tub was done originally it wasn't painted. That was done in 1998 when I restored it the first time. It's painted with POR15 inside. I'm not too impressed with that stuff.

The hump on the floor is where the body mount is underneath. I'll be removing those before we get the side panel on.

Unread 09-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #56
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Cowl turned out nice! This is next up for me. How did you decide on a common point between the two to cut the YJ cowl? Are the windshield hold down nuts in the wrong location? I cut out my enter section from the old CJ but i don't think I want to weld it end to end.
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #57
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

We just kind of winged it on where to cut. I should have done it about 2" longer as the YJ tub is cut out in a couple places on the inner piece of the sandwich that the CJ tub isn't. That will all be hidden by the dash and the double thickness part is all good. Since it is double thickness there wasn't much issue welding as far as warping goes. I think it will be ok.

And now that I'm this far into it, going back to what Keith said... Considering the condition my tub is in, I almost wish I would have bought a scratch and dent Repli-Tub that I found and went that route because I'll have almost that much money and time in this one and still have to do all the modifications.

Unread 09-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #58
gpower77
1985 CJ7 

Got a question,

What is the reason for cutting out the CJ defroster section, and welding it into the YJ tub? What would be wrong with just cutting out the 2 defroster holes in the YJ tub? Reading through several tub swap writeups, it looked like most guys just cut out the holes. Just wondering, as I am going to be doing a YJ tub swap too, and planned on just cutting out the holes.
gpower77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #59
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I often think that too, "a Repli-tub would have saved me a lot of time". But then I think of the money I saved and it makes it all seem okay. Course I didn't pay out for another tub either. I bet I only have $4-$450 in new metal.

Looks good so far. You definitely got your work cut out. What will you be doing at the floor/side intersection, welding a new flange to the floor, or what do you have in mind there?
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #60
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Man I really need one of those NOS fuel gauges. Jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCJ7Laredo View Post
Spent a little time with a couple speedometer heads trying to make one the nicest so I can install after my build is done. I think this turned out pretty good. Set the odometer to match the one that was in the Jeep (this one is a little cleaner and clearer) and waxed the face of the speedo and the temp and fuel gauges. I had already painted the needles a couple weeks ago with new flourescent paint.

Once these finally give up the ghost, I have all new NOS OEM fuel, temp, oil and volt gauges

weapon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.