teardown/reassembly sanity check - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > teardown/reassembly sanity check

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
spittoon

1984 CJ7 

teardown/reassembly sanity check

so, as the teardown of my 84 cj7 continues and i start to get deeper and deeper to the point of no return, i get more worried. although i've taken hundreds of pictures and bagging and tagging everything, i still worry i'm in over my head. I've always thought of myself as pretty mechanically inclined, but this is a whole new ball of wax. What keeps me sane is the fact that there have been others on here that have had the same skillset as i, and they've done wonderful jobs, so it can be done. So is the reassembly a matter of common sense in most areas? how do you decide in what order it all goes back together? by system? like putting back together complete units, like steering, suspension, braking, etc...and it just seems to come together?

spittoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
TRex

1979 CJ7 

I sympathize with your worries of getting in over your head. I'm right there with you in my current (and first) build. Just know that the forum is here for you and there is an astounding abundance of knowledge and generosity here. I wouldn't have even attempted my project without the support and genius of this jeepForum.

Remember... take it a step at a time, read often and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Unread 01-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

After you've taken it apart, put it back together, taken it apart, put it back together, taken it apart, and FINALLY decided to put it back together:

You'll know what has to go in first.

Good Luck.
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
After you've taken it apart, put it back together, taken it apart, put it back together, taken it apart, and FINALLY decided to put it back together:

You'll know what has to go in first.

Good Luck.
Yeah, what he said

Basically you start by getting back to a rolling frame, drop the drivetrain in, drop the body on, re-establish all of the connections between the frame mounted components and the body (steering, electrical, brakes, etc), and just let it flow from there.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskate View Post
Yeah, what he said

Basically you start by getting back to a rolling frame, drop the drivetrain in, drop the body on, re-establish all of the connections between the frame mounted components and the body (steering, electrical, brakes, etc), and just let it flow from there.
3x. Just take your time. There will probably be a few points in there where you will put something together and go to do something else later and realize you need to either fully or partially disassemble something to get it on. It's almost inevitable.

Just have patience and rest well on the fact that once you get this whole thing done you will know your Jeep from top to bottom, stem to stern!

Good Luck!!

trailhead
Unread 01-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
srlangone

I know how you feel but when I took my Jeep apart for the 2nd time I did not label anything. My goal is to get it back in running before the end of the year. Like others have said this is a great place to come for help. Good Luck and remember to enjoy your build not hate it!

srlangone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
spittoon

1984 CJ7 

thanks to all, the only reason i decided to go for it was because of suggestions and success stories on this forum..i just needed to reaffirm you were out there and i was on the same page as i thought i was..i'm in no hurry, so thats a plus, and i'll keep diggin to find something out. talk to you all soon and good luck with your rigs..
spittoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.