TEAMRUSH Upgrade, Who SELLS PLUG WIRES?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > TEAMRUSH Upgrade, Who SELLS PLUG WIRES??

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, Skids

Unread 01-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

TEAMRUSH Upgrade, Who SELLS PLUG WIRES??

Collecting the parts to complete the TEAMRUSH IGNITION UPGRADE. Articles say to get the Autolite or MSD BLUE spark plug wire for the 1994 JEEP 4.0.

AUTOLITE PLUG WIRES:
Locally Napa, ORiley, Red Rooster, Checker, Advance Auto, do not carry the Autolite plug wire. LOOKED ON WEB, Summit does carry them on the web but the pkg does not have the coil wire for some reason. Summit does not show or sell the Autolite COIL wire for some reason. The kit was a good price, $25.95 #frm96624, but did not have the coil wire.

MSD BLUE PLUG WIRES
I was interested in compairing the MSD BLUE also because in future, If Flush, I may upgrade ignition to MSD. So why buy wires twice. SUMMIT carries the MSD RED & BLACK for $78 and includes the coil wire. SUMMIT DOES NOT CARRY THE BLUE VERSION. WE also went to the MSD web site, www.msdignition.com, and the BLUE version was not listed just the red 32239 and black 32233. SUMMIT SAID THE BLUE & RED ARE COPPER ALLOW CORE AND THE BLUE WAS A SS CORE.

VERY GOOD CHANCE IN FUTURE I MAY UPGRADE TO THE MSD 6 IF I COME ACROSS A GOOD BUY. For now will upgrade to the Ford E coil. With that in mind should I get the MSD Plug Wires. Will the MSD work ok with the BELDEN Lifetime plug wires from NAPA, they cost $31.49. NAPA local also said they have the SUPER BLUE ones HighCountry speaks of below.

I value your opionion, I wanted your opinion, on the plug wires before I buy. I also wanted you to know finding a complete set of Auotolites is not easy. Summit is the only suppier of Autolite Plug Wires I have found so far. MSD does NOT seem to offer a BLUE wires from supplier or their MSD WEB site for the Jeep 1994 4.0L. YOUR PAST THREADS talk about both, Autolite & MSD Blue, offerings and wanted you to know. I have not had a chance to contact the manufacturing companies directly yet, buy may.

??? Should I still be lookging for the MSD BLUE plug wires? Are the RED and BLACK better or worse for the JEEP application??

??? SHOULD I look for another engine set,for MSD Blue that will also fit the Jeep 4.2 like the ford 300??

???? Who carries the complete set of the Autolite plug wires??

thanks,

Fred

Last edited by Fjguercio; 01-17-2008 at 04:16 PM..
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Go to the NAPA and get Belden Wires, Part # 700444. I have used those for 30 years and never had a problem. Also, the lastest revision is even better than the older one. If you open the box and the wires are a dark Navy Blue, they are super wires. Also, keep the receipt and they are lifetime warranted!

Not many folks are aware that Belden hand builds the wires for many NASCAR teams.

Autolite is a division of the same company that make Fram filters... Enough said?

MSD does not build those wires, they have someone else build them!
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Calling Jeephammer

BUMP to TOP for reply

Dear JEEPHAMMER,

I would like your opinion on the SPARK PLUG WIRES for the 1978 CJ7 with 258 and stock DURASPARK. Will be upgrading to FORD E coil.

HAVING TROUBLE GETTING THE AUTOLITE AND MSD BLUE SPARK PLUG WIRES YOU WRITE ABOUT IN PAST THREADS. PLEASE READ THE ABOVE AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.

Thanks,

Fred
Unread 01-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I did it several years ago and still run it. I used the 8 mm wires for the Ford 300 I-6, they are the Bosh wires.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

It's not that big of a deal as long as you stay away from the Chinese Specials! That NAPA Belden number I referenced is a dang good set of wires and they are not 'ripoff' priced!

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio@aol.c
Collecting the parts to complete the TEAMRUSH IGNITION UPGRADE. Articles say to get the Autolite or MSD BLUE spark plug wire for the 1994 JEEP 4.0.

AUTOLITE PLUG WIRES:
Locally Napa, ORiley, Red Rooster, Checker, Advance Auto, do not carry the Autolite plug wire. LOOKED ON WEB, Summit does carry them on the web but the pkg does not have the coil wire for some reason. Summit does not show or sell the Autolite COIL wire for some reason. The kit was a good price, $25.95 #frm96624, but did not have the coil wire.

Look again, it looks just like a regular plug wire.
Most 'Kits' don't show the coil wire, don't ask me why.
You can buy single wires from MSD and most autoparts stores.

Quote:
MSD BLUE PLUG WIRES
I was interested in compairing the MSD BLUE also because in future, If Flush, I may upgrade ignition to MSD. So why buy wires twice. SUMMIT carries the MSD RED & BLACK for $78 and includes the coil wire. SUMMIT DOES NOT CARRY THE BLUE VERSION. WE also went to the MSD web site, www.msdignition.com, and the BLUE version was not listed just the red 32239 and black 32233. SUMMIT SAID THE BLUE & RED ARE COPPER ALLOW CORE AND THE BLUE WAS A SS CORE.
ANY plug wires would work with MSD module...
Why would you want to change plug wires when you went to the MSD module?
You only upgrade plug wires ONCE if you are smart...
Get a good set, upgrade the cap and rotor, and switch out the coil if you feel like it...
No big deal...

VERY GOOD CHANCE IN FUTURE I MAY UPGRADE TO THE MSD 6 IF I COME ACROSS A GOOD BUY. For now will upgrade to the Ford E coil. With that in mind should I get the MSD Plug Wires. Will the MSD work ok with the BELDEN Lifetime plug wires from NAPA, they cost $31.49. NAPA local also said they have the SUPER BLUE ones HighCountry speaks of below.[/quote]

Like I said, you are putting too much emphasis on the plug wires...
Getting the larger cap and rotor, then a reasonable set of plug wires on IS the upgrade...
The Cap, rotor, plug wires will work with ANY module/coil combo.
Depending on the coil type, you may have to change the coil wire from socket type terminal to spark plug type terminal, but since you can buy single plug and coil wires from MSD, that's not a big deal either.

I can't crap on any plug wires in specific, but don't buy 'Discount' or 'Store Brands'...
Ford's brand 'Autolite' is still carried by AutoZone I think, and MSD wires are the top of the heap right now. (Compaired to stuff like Accel, Taylor, ect.)
If I find better wires, I'll darn sure start using them!

Quote:
Summit is the only suppier of Autolite Plug Wires I have found so far. MSD does NOT seem to offer a BLUE wires from supplier or their MSD WEB site for the Jeep 1994 4.0L. YOUR PAST THREADS talk about both, Autolite & MSD Blue, offerings and wanted you to know. I have not had a chance to contact the manufacturing companies directly yet, buy may.
I suggest MSD 'Blue' wires simply because they are the 'Economy' version of MSD wires.
Excellent in the V-8 kits!.
VERY good wires, but still not so expensive you can't afford them...
Feel free to use Red wires if you can find a reasonably priced set.
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 01:52 AM   #7
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCountry View Post
Go to the NAPA and get Belden Wires, Part # 700444. I have used those for 30 years and never had a problem. Also, the lastest revision is even better than the older one. If you open the box and the wires are a dark Navy Blue, they are super wires. Also, keep the receipt and they are lifetime warranted!
I went with the NAPA wires and VERY NICE. They had the Dark Navy Blue ones and lifetime warranty. $32 Running well and nice value.

Wanted to get back to forum on what I did and bump up to top again.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE TEAM RUSH IGNITION UPGRADE.

Regards,
Fred
Unread 02-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
oldwindsurfer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jeephammer,can you post part numbers for the cap and rotor you are talking about.I have a 4.2 1990 YJ Thanks
oldwindsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
wigsajumper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwindsurfer View Post
Jeephammer,can you post part numbers for the cap and rotor you are talking about.I have a 4.2 1990 YJ Thanks
links with the numbers

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/ignition/jeep/jeep06.html
http://www.geocities.com/cantwait_fo...ce/cj_tfi.html
http://www.swbbbs.freeservers.com/teamrush.htm

Good Luck
Unread 02-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

For the cap and rotar, going with Ford f-150 truck with the 300 I6 engine. The idea here is the new models have the upgraded BRASS cap, rotar, adapter. Taller, bigger diameter, male contact on top of cap, and this stops the arcing in the cap to ground and fire to wrong cylinder.

ORiley Auto parts sells the Borg Warner, lifetime parts and best price I found

cap adapter bwd c193a $7.99
rotar d219 $4.29
cap c193 $25.99

Regards,
Fred

Thanks JeepHammer awsome upgrade, Team Rush Ignition and Used Ford E Coil

Last edited by Fjguercio; 02-20-2008 at 03:08 PM..
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:23 AM   #12
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the part numbers neek.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #13
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for reviving old thread but I gotta want to ask since it is related and don't have to start a new thread about it.

The part numbers for NAPA are no good anymore. I went to the guy works at the napa locally and when I told him I want cap adapter and he just looked at me like I am idiot.

I just need some help finding the napa part numbers so I can mouth off to that guy.
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #14
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinothPro View Post
Sorry for reviving old thread but I gotta want to ask since it is related and don't have to start a new thread about it.

The part numbers for NAPA are no good anymore. I went to the guy works at the napa locally and when I told him I want cap adapter and he just looked at me like I am idiot.

I just need some help finding the napa part numbers so I can mouth off to that guy.
How about taking it from 'TeamRush'...
AKA, Jeep Hammer.

Stay away from NAPA plug wires if you know anything about plug wires,
High Resistance, High Impedance, poor insulation and bad terminals.
the boots are 'OK', but that's about all.

MSD is running a V-8 'Universal' set of plug wires for $42 bucks at Advance Auto,
Yes, that's real, cut to fit so the ACTUALLY FIT, for $42.

The next best/more reliable wire is a BIG step down,
And that's MOTORCRAFT wires...
They are $46 bucks,
So why not get the best since they are cheapest?

Cut them so they actually FIT your vehicle instead of being all over the engine bay!

Plugs,
Regular Autolites, common resistor plugs.
Stay away from the 'Super Duper, Kryptonite, Platinum, 14 electrode 'Gimmick' plugs, they don't work with the lower powered common ignitions, (meaning a single coil instead of a coil per cylinder)...

Cap Adapter, Cap, Rotor,
MSD for V-8,
Brass terminal cap, cap adapter and rotor from
'82 Ford F-150 Pick Up with 300 CID I-6 engine

Except for putting one end on the plug wires,
It's all drop in place of what you have now.

Now, if you REALLY want to piss him off,
Check the top post in this thread for parts and application...
Link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-...nitive-669495/

Make sure you show him a picture of before and after when you are done!
And tell him you found out about the 'Belden' wires they sell and wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole!
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #15
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinothPro View Post

NAPA part numbers are ECH FA136 cap, ECH FA139 adapter, ECH FA159 rotor
wires BEL 700230 (has 2 different coil wires so you can keep the canister coil if you want to ) or use the better wires specified by jeephammer
plugs autolite 985
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.