TEAM RUSH UPGRADE (Does it help?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > TEAM RUSH UPGRADE (Does it help?)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 01-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
medicimortis
1985 CJ7 

TEAM RUSH UPGRADE (Does it help?)

Hello folks, there has been alot of discussion in the forum about the team rush upgrade. I am considering doing it but before I do I figured I'd ask your honest opinions. If you have done it (this is explicitly the taller dist. cap and nothing else) have you noticed any performance/ mpg difference. Be honnnnest.

medicimortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
medicimortis
1985 CJ7 

*and be nice with to other!
Unread 01-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

FYI: This mod has been around since at least the 80's...I bought the packaged setup from Jacobs Electronics back around '90. The TeamRush part of it is in the additional mods and tweaking beyond the cap & rotor swap that he has done and that's where you'll really see the difference.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

I did the search for you. Start reading

JeepForum.com - Search Results
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
Dad03
1975 CJ5 

Does it help? yes!. On my jeep (75 CJ5 w/304) it made it run better, more reliable, quicker response. There were no negatives for me. Plus the parts I used are readily avaliable at any parts store.
Dad03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
SinCityCJ
1986 CJ7 

I did it on my 86 CJ7 with 258 and it made a nice difference. Better throttle response and smooth idle and an extra couple of mpg didn't hurt either.
Unread 01-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Why not set up a vote option on the post. I'm sure more will vote than post.

I love my setup.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Stupid question.... this is not meant for Johns question but for the thread topic in general,

I vote yes... obviously

The SEARCH feature should ans your question... This on hundred of threads and I have heard many hundred go WOW after doing the TeamRush and process we have been asking you to do on your 300 post thread.

For you this upgrade of premium tune up parts will never work to your satisfaction. I have heard you can buy pixy dust and apply it once every monday evening for a month and it will correct all the issues and make you cj just squeel the tires even in second gear. I also have heard that you have to pic a month that has a full moon on the first 4 days or its a waste of money. I cannot verify this, but this is what has been posted on some of the forums.... I understand if you look for CJ PIXY Dust it shows up well on the searches.

TeamRush is the best bang for the buck you can do for a 30 yr old CJ engine. Anyone doing a tune up should use the taller cap/rotar/adapter that came out on the Ford DuraSpark Ignitions in the 80s'. As said above this have been around for years, proven, and should be done with other weak links corrections considering we have a 30+ year old vehicle.

Poster just did a tune up and missed the idea of using the TEAMRUSH type parts.... so he kinda wasted his money. There is little if any difference in the cost of the parts... so you missed the boat. You can wait another 2 yrs till your tune up parts are up for replace or do it now and use you OEM parts as "trail back up".
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
medicimortis
1985 CJ7 

well we are all aware of your opinions mr. fjeurico
Unread 01-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Here is the other thread, trying to better his mid teen mileage... its on post #300 or so...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ba...ven-cj-934717/
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
medicimortis
1985 CJ7 

I almost want to try this upgrade because im a doubter and I could probaly do it for sixty bucks.
If Im wrong I get better gas mileage and im happy.
If im right I get to vouch it doesnt help like I thought.
Unread 01-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Here are my thoughts,

The measure of improvement in performance and/or mileage is based solely on the condition of the parts being replaced.

Having said that, since you have to send the parts jockey to the back to get a cap and rotor anyways, you may as well have him bring back the larger ones.

I think it's a worthwhile upgrade and should be considered on your next tune up.

Shawn

Weber Carburetors for Jeeps
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #13
medicimortis
1985 CJ7 

Ive got respect for you Mr. Shawn, I may not wait until my next update to do it (aka next week) : p
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #14
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

If you have worn out or badly made parts, 'any' tune up will help.

I had never heard of the 'team rush' tune up until I came here. To be honest, Ford has a worse reputation for quality than Jeep ever did up in these parts, but hey that is just my opinion. (and the fact my Dad owned a few Fords, he kept cracking distributor caps in the rain all the time too...)

I learned 'way' back what the difference in quality parts, like distributor caps with brass terminals vs white metal ones will do for 'any' engine as well as quality plug wires and good strong plugs.

That said I have tuned a whole bunch of CJ's and YJ's with 258 to run like mine does and we all have to pass emissions. Most of use all wheeled together also so we got good comparisons.

Here is how mine runs with 91 octane ESSO gas and the timing set at 8-9 BTDC using the stock carb, OEM cap, rotor and wires and an Accel coil with 3.31 gears turning 33's. (while still passing emissions and giving 21 mph highway) Computer disabled.

1st lights up the 33's 'way' too easy off a stop. 2nd hauls fast to 52 mph@4400 rpm. 3rd pulls hard to 75 mph. 4th buries the speedometer and I have 'no' urge to find out how fast 5th will go.... It also will crawl up a sand pit wall or ravine wall at 400 rpm without a chug, get too steep and it just churns the tires in...

I mean what more could I ask for out of a poor old 258?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)

Last edited by Mike Romain; 01-10-2010 at 07:33 AM..
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #15
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

When I changed to the bigger cap and rotor I was replacing almost new parts so change was not huge but was still noticeable. Cap, rotor, plugs and wires did not cost too much and was worth doing.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.