Team Rush upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Team Rush upgrade

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 05-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Team Rush upgrade

I installed the 79 Ford F150 adapter and brass terminal cap/rotor. I'm finishing up the plug wires today (MSD 8.5 mm superconductor). I will be installing an MSD 6A CDI ingnition module on Monday. What's the optimum gap for my plugs after these upgrades?

LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
SCSEAJAYSEVEN
1978 CJ7 

I gap my plugs at .045 (Motorcraft/Autolite 985). I have the same setup as you will have, I'm thinking I might close mine up to about .042 for a trial.

I set mine at .050 once, to try them out, that was too much. .045 is about as far as I would go. By the way, I'm not real sold on the MSD 6A. After that install, I saw very little, if any difference in the ignition. I had better performance with the Team Rush upgrade, Accel 8mm wires, and the Ford E-coil setup.

I just had to try it, $200.00 lesson to me...

Bert
SCSEAJAYSEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I prefer no more than .040.

Shawn
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

But it does make sense to open them up more to gain more spark right?
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather View Post
You've got all the spark you'll ever need with that box. It's just too bad that it's a bunch of short bursts instead of one, long zap. CDI is great for high-rpm stuff where coil saturation time becomes a problem but not so much for low rpm. Oh well...

There was a good thread on Speedtalk recently and all of the pros running CDIs were in the .035 to .038 range.

I ran .055 (briefly), .050, .045 and after a long conversation with Don at 4secondsflat.com, dropped to .039. The wise old racer was right.

Hope it helps.

Shawn
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
You've got all the spark you'll ever need with that box. It's just too bad that it's a bunch of short bursts instead of one, long zap. CDI is great for high-rpm stuff where coil saturation time becomes a problem but not so much for low rpm. Oh well...
But Jeephammer said it's the best thing ever!

Are you saying that everything on the internet isn't true?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP

I'm a French model...
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post

I'm just saying that's the experience I had when I was developing the ignition systems for John Force and Dale Earnhardt back in the '80s

Shawn
Unread 05-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

How is it that one can tell the difference between .040 and .045 gap? I would really like to know because I see no difference in color on my plugs from .035-.045 gap settings.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
I'm a French model...
Uh, Bonjour!
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Diminishing returns. Opening the gap make the coil have to build up more voltage to jump the gap, but there's a sweet spot, then it gets too big and costs you amperage. So even though the voltage is higher, the spark is weaker.

MSD's are great, but you have to remember their Multiple Spark feature only happens at 3k rpm and less. After that, it's one spark. Of course, 3k and under is where your Jeep motor is spending most of its life.
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb
Diminishing returns. Opening the gap make the coil have to build up more voltage to jump the gap, but there's a sweet spot, then it gets too big and costs you amperage. So even though the voltage is higher, the spark is weaker.

MSD's are great, but you have to remember their Multiple Spark feature only happens at 3k rpm and less. After that, it's one spark. Of course, 3k and under is where your Jeep motor is spending most of its life.
So where would you say the sweet spot is?
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
So where would you say the sweet spot is?
Right in the .038-.043" range
Unread 05-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
How is it that one can tell the difference between .040 and .045 gap? I would really like to know because I see no difference in color on my plugs from .035-.045 gap settings.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
I never even checked for color on that deal. The difference (albeit slight) was mostly with start ups and normal driving. It was enough for me to tell the difference and keep them there from here on out, though.

Shawn
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSEAJAYSEVEN View Post
I gap my plugs at .045 (Motorcraft/Autolite 985). I have the same setup as you will have, I'm thinking I might close mine up to about .042 for a trial.

I set mine at .050 once, to try them out, that was too much. .045 is about as far as I would go. By the way, I'm not real sold on the MSD 6A. After that install, I saw very little, if any difference in the ignition. I had better performance with the Team Rush upgrade, Accel 8mm wires, and the Ford E-coil setup.

I just had to try it, $200.00 lesson to me...

Bert
I went the $129 route with the MSD Streetfire and have been very happy. Not giving up very much in the fire department and giving up a lot less in the wallet.

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
msd , team rush

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.