JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Team Rush upgrade (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/team-rush-upgrade-1525006/)

LeePrather 05-18-2013 11:06 AM

Team Rush upgrade
 
I installed the 79 Ford F150 adapter and brass terminal cap/rotor. I'm finishing up the plug wires today (MSD 8.5 mm superconductor). I will be installing an MSD 6A CDI ingnition module on Monday. What's the optimum gap for my plugs after these upgrades?

SCSEAJAYSEVEN 05-18-2013 11:14 AM

I gap my plugs at .045 (Motorcraft/Autolite 985). I have the same setup as you will have, I'm thinking I might close mine up to about .042 for a trial.

I set mine at .050 once, to try them out, that was too much. .045 is about as far as I would go. By the way, I'm not real sold on the MSD 6A. After that install, I saw very little, if any difference in the ignition. I had better performance with the Team Rush upgrade, Accel 8mm wires, and the Ford E-coil setup.

I just had to try it, $200.00 lesson to me...

Bert

swatson454 05-18-2013 11:18 AM

I prefer no more than .040.


Shawn

LeePrather 05-18-2013 11:27 AM

But it does make sense to open them up more to gain more spark right?

swatson454 05-18-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeePrather (Post 15449056)
But it does make sense to open them up more to gain more spark right?

You've got all the spark you'll ever need with that box. It's just too bad that it's a bunch of short bursts instead of one, long zap. CDI is great for high-rpm stuff where coil saturation time becomes a problem but not so much for low rpm. Oh well...

There was a good thread on Speedtalk recently and all of the pros running CDIs were in the .035 to .038 range.

I ran .055 (briefly), .050, .045 and after a long conversation with Don at 4secondsflat.com, dropped to .039. The wise old racer was right.


Hope it helps.


Shawn

CSP 05-18-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swatson454 (Post 15449062)
You've got all the spark you'll ever need with that box. It's just too bad that it's a bunch of short bursts instead of one, long zap. CDI is great for high-rpm stuff where coil saturation time becomes a problem but not so much for low rpm. Oh well...

But Jeephammer said it's the best thing ever!

Are you saying that everything on the internet isn't true? :D

LeePrather 05-18-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSP

But Jeephammer said it's the best thing ever!

Are you saying that everything on the internet isn't true? :D

I'm a French model...

swatson454 05-18-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSP (Post 15449083)
But Jeephammer said it's the best thing ever!

Are you saying that everything on the internet isn't true? :D

I'm just saying that's the experience I had when I was developing the ignition systems for John Force and Dale Earnhardt back in the '80s :rofl:


Shawn

keith460 05-18-2013 12:44 PM

How is it that one can tell the difference between .040 and .045 gap? I would really like to know because I see no difference in color on my plugs from .035-.045 gap settings.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Pacfanweb 05-18-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeePrather (Post 15449094)
I'm a French model...

Uh, Bonjour!
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BAiklzACQAA-wME.jpg:large

Pacfanweb 05-18-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeePrather (Post 15449056)
But it does make sense to open them up more to gain more spark right?

Diminishing returns. Opening the gap make the coil have to build up more voltage to jump the gap, but there's a sweet spot, then it gets too big and costs you amperage. So even though the voltage is higher, the spark is weaker.

MSD's are great, but you have to remember their Multiple Spark feature only happens at 3k rpm and less. After that, it's one spark. Of course, 3k and under is where your Jeep motor is spending most of its life.

LeePrather 05-18-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacfanweb
Diminishing returns. Opening the gap make the coil have to build up more voltage to jump the gap, but there's a sweet spot, then it gets too big and costs you amperage. So even though the voltage is higher, the spark is weaker.

MSD's are great, but you have to remember their Multiple Spark feature only happens at 3k rpm and less. After that, it's one spark. Of course, 3k and under is where your Jeep motor is spending most of its life.

So where would you say the sweet spot is?

Pacfanweb 05-18-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeePrather (Post 15449320)
So where would you say the sweet spot is?

Right in the .038-.043" range

swatson454 05-18-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith460 (Post 15449251)
How is it that one can tell the difference between .040 and .045 gap? I would really like to know because I see no difference in color on my plugs from .035-.045 gap settings.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

I never even checked for color on that deal. The difference (albeit slight) was mostly with start ups and normal driving. It was enough for me to tell the difference and keep them there from here on out, though.


Shawn

HALOjmpr 05-18-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCSEAJAYSEVEN (Post 15449010)
I gap my plugs at .045 (Motorcraft/Autolite 985). I have the same setup as you will have, I'm thinking I might close mine up to about .042 for a trial.

I set mine at .050 once, to try them out, that was too much. .045 is about as far as I would go. By the way, I'm not real sold on the MSD 6A. After that install, I saw very little, if any difference in the ignition. I had better performance with the Team Rush upgrade, Accel 8mm wires, and the Ford E-coil setup.

I just had to try it, $200.00 lesson to me...

Bert

I went the $129 route with the MSD Streetfire and have been very happy. Not giving up very much in the fire department and giving up a lot less in the wallet.


The time now is 05:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.