Team Rush Quick Help (Jeep Hammer) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Team Rush Quick Help (Jeep Hammer)

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
elks96
1985 CJ7 

Team Rush Quick Help (Jeep Hammer)

Do I need to replace a stock coil with the TFI? I have a brand new stock coil, hatre to buy somehting else. Also what about the advance springs? I have a new stock distributor going in. I have the larger cap and good plug wires.

What wires attach to the stock coil? I am thinking thatONe has to be red in and one has to be green with a resistor in it? What allows the coil to mount to teh block? Can I get one new someplace?

I would search for this, but time is running out and would rather be wrenching trying to get ready for moab that reading the long pages.

1985 CJ 7 258 bored/Cammed, MotorCraft Carb, Mallory Ignition, NP435/Dana 300, 4.5 RE Ex, 1.25 JKS Body Lift, Detriot AMC 20 Rear(detroit locker and Warn Hub Conversion), Herculined Tub, Chevy Heater Blower, 34" Swampers, Custom Rear Bumper, more to come....

1972 K5 8" lift, 36" swampers, lockers, custom paint.
elks96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I'm not him, will I do?

The stock coil will still give you a spark, just don't open the gap.

The red wire has the resistor wire built into the harness for it, the green wire is the trigger that goes to the ignition module.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
elks96
1985 CJ7 

OK Mike so lets say the deal is botched up a bit. At one point the old stock set up was hacked out for a super coil. Then after that the super coild was axed and in went an HEI. I kept hating the idea that I might chew up a gear etc. and figured I need to get back to a Stock Distributor. This meant a few wire ends were clipped out and the factory connectors were lost. In this case I still have the red wire, just with out the original connectors. The new coil I have matches all the stock specs, but instead of the factory type wire connector on top it is a bolt style. Can I still use the red to positive and green to to negative set up and be ok? It has been too many years since it was stock for me to even attampt thinking back
1985 CJ 7 258 bored/Cammed, MotorCraft Carb, Mallory Ignition, NP435/Dana 300, 4.5 RE Ex, 1.25 JKS Body Lift, Detriot AMC 20 Rear(detroit locker and Warn Hub Conversion), Herculined Tub, Chevy Heater Blower, 34" Swampers, Custom Rear Bumper, more to come....

Unread 05-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
I'm not him, will I do?

The stock coil will still give you a spark, just don't open the gap.

The red wire has the resistor wire built into the harness for it, the green wire is the trigger that goes to the ignition module.

Mike,
I was under the impression that opening the Plug gap only put a strain on the ign. module, not the coil. I'm running the e-coil, because it's a V8. For a six, either coil is OK. Did I mis-read?
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Mike,
I was under the impression that opening the Plug gap only put a strain on the ign. module, not the coil. I'm running the e-coil, because it's a V8. For a six, either coil is OK. Did I mis-read?
Hotter or higher voltage spark is for a bigger gap as far as I know without harming anything. I run an Accel SuperCoil on mine with a bit larger gap for the last 9 years too...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 05-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elks96 View Post
. Can I still use the red to positive and green to to negative set up and be ok? It has been too many years since it was stock for me to even attampt thinking back
It could be fine. One fast test is to put the key in run and see what the red wire has for voltage. If if is lower than the battery voltage, the resistor wire is still there.

If it is missing, you can just get a 1.35 ohm Chrysler ceramic ballast resistor and put it before the coil.
Unread 05-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
elks96
1985 CJ7 

Cool thanks Mike. now I have to convince wife to let me get a voltage tester. I know I should already have one. LOL.

Unread 05-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Do I need to replace a stock coil with the TFI? I have a brand new stock coil, hatre to buy somehting else. Also what about the advance springs? I have a new stock distributor going in. I have the larger cap and good plug wires.
You would actually be better off with the STOCK CANISTER COIL with the I-6 engine.

(Good Quality) Canister coils actually give you slightly more USABLE SPARK ENERGY with the lower RPMs.

Quote:
What wires attach to the stock coil? I am thinking thatONe has to be red in and one has to be green with a resistor in it? What allows the coil to mount to teh block? Can I get one new someplace?
What happened to your stock wiring?

Quote:
I would search for this, but time is running out and would rather be wrenching trying to get ready for moab that reading the long pages.
If you want quick answers, then fill us in where the stock wiring went...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

OK!...

Lets clear some things up...

1. Opening the plug gap drives up the VOLTAGE output from the ignition coil.
(Has NOTHING to do with the Module or which coil you run.)

2. Using the 'TeamRush' upgrade (Large Cap, Tall Rotor) keeps the higher Spark Energy under control in the distributor cap, so the higher spark energies can't jump around from terminal to terminal or to ground inside the distributor.
(also gets you guys to throw away those 23+ year old spark plug wires an put some fresh ones on!)

3. Canister coil is a better choice for the AMC I-6 engines since the canister coil gives slightly more spark energy at lower RPMs and with less cylinders (I-6 vs. V-8 engines)

4. Factory 'Horse Shoe' coil connectors are available from Auto Zone for $5 to $7...

5. The coil 'Green' wire goes directly back to the module 'Green' wire...
*IF* you have done the 'Nutter Bypass' already.

6. A $6 or $0 'Test Light' can be purchased, or made from a dash light or park/turn light bulb,
And you probe the wires for 'Bright' (full 12 volts) or 'DIM', (less than 12 volts) to find things out...
Such as if the ignition resistor is still in place...

Good for diagnosing problems with the ignition, lights, and other wiring also, so it's not a one time use...
Unread 05-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
elks96
1985 CJ7 

Jeep Hammer,

Well I mentioned above that the majority of the stock system is there, I have the green wire and the red wire, but the ends were cut off for a super coil (dumb idea) that ran for a while going to a mallory dist. In the end I chewed up the mallory gear and was not really that impressed with the perfomance, research showed that the distributor I had was meant to function well at high rpms. Like over 4000. So I ditched that and swapped in a GM HEI distributor off the shop floor from my buddies shop. It was free. I set that up and ran it for a little bit, like 3 trips. In that time Il ooked over the threads for the GM HEI and realized that the one I swapped in was probably a junk ebay build. When I pulled it I could see wear on the distbutor gear and the wear was located low on the gear. After posting pics here you and a few others said that I was risking my cam gear. That was over 2 months ago, jeep has not moved since due to installing an NP435. Fast Forward to now. Since that time I have bought a new/reman distributor from NAPA, I have the propper top, 8 mm wires, etc. When I bought the coil canister we did a parts search cause the challenged NAPA people here had no idea which pig tail I was talking about and said it did not exist. We did however manage to find a canister that matched the factory specs to a T and had the bolt style top. I would go back to the stock coil and wires, but do not want to pay for the propper new coil. My build is close to road ready and I have ran out of money since my wife and I are moving soon.

Does this make sense? I will borrow a teser from my buddy today he is comming over. What will happen if I fire the engine with out the resistor? What are my options for installing a resistor?

Unread 05-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
elks96
1985 CJ7 

OK so I got the tester and found out that I have 11.35 at the battery and 11.13 at the red wire. I am assuming that I need a bigger gap. So I am assuming I need a resistor.

Also how exactly does the resistor wire up? Right now the green wire is looped. No end exposed at all, but it does have the black plastic junction. The red has an open end. Do I go red into the resistor then from resistor to + on the coil? On the greens do I end up with 2 green attached to teh -? One withte black plastic junction and one just attached? I am looking through my Manual now to see what I can find.

Unread 05-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The resistor just goes on the red line and from the other side to the coil plus.

You will need to find the end of the green line and hook it to the neg. I don't know what plastic junction you mean. The green wire goes to the ignition module.

You should read around this site: http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/ignmods.htm
Unread 05-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
elks96
1985 CJ7 

Here is a pic of the connector I have.... Not sure what it does. I did trace it back and it appears the slightly heavier wire is going to teh Motor Craft box on Drivers side wheel well.

Here is the pic. What do you think it is?

Unread 05-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
OK so I got the tester and found out that I have 11.35 at the battery and 11.13 at the red wire. I am assuming that I need a bigger gap. So I am assuming I need a resistor.
I have to ASSUME...
And I hate to ASSUME anything with you guys because there is ALWAYS something you left out and it makes me WRONG again...
And I have to start over when I finally pry what you forgot to tell out of you...

I have to ASSUME you mean 11.13 VOLTS since you didn't specify what 11.13 you were talking about...

Here is a bit of information for you...
The volt meter won't show resistance on an open circuit.
You will show battery voltage even if there is a resistor in place.

That's why I recommend a TEST LIGHT instead of a volt-Ohm meter when the coil is NOT in the circuit...
The light bulb provides the load to tell you if the resistor is in the circuit or not...

Since your wires are cut off and hanging, I have to ASSUME an open circuit, and the coil WAS NOT hooked up.
-------------------------------------------

Quote:
Also how exactly does the resistor wire up?
The power comes from the fuse block under the dash,
Proceeds through the ignition swtich,
If you have a factory tach, the ignition power goes through the tach before heading out to the engine bay.

Once in the engine bay, the power wire splits off into three wires at what is called a 'SPLICE Block'...
One wire delivers a full 12 volts to the ignition module,
One wire delivers current to excite the alternator so it charges right away,
And a third leg of the splice is the resistor wire that proceeds to the ignition coil positive terminal.
---------------------------------------------

Quote:
Right now the green wire is looped. No end exposed at all, but it does have the black plastic junction.
You mean the green coil wire isn't stubbed off somewhere near the stock coil mounting location?
If you are not sure WHICH green wire is the coil 'Negative' line,
Then you can run a 14 gauge wire from the coil negative terminal to the module 'Green' wire if you have the factory DuraSpark module still in place,
OR,
You can run it to an HEI 'C' terminal.
------------------------------------------------

Quote:
The red has an open end.
Do I go red into the resistor then from resistor to + on the coil?
By 'Open End', I guess you mean a stripped end on the wire?

The 'Red' wire will connect directly to the coil POSITIVE terminal, no matter what coil you use...
If no one bothered to put in a larger than factory wire, they never bothered to take out the resistor,
So I'm 90% sure the resistor is still there.
------------------------------------------------

Quote:
On the greens do I end up with 2 green attached to teh -? One withte black plastic junction and one just attached? I am looking through my Manual now to see what I can find.
I have NO IDEA what you are talking about...
If the 'Green Wire' is connected to something,
You many not have the CORRECT 'GREEN' WIRE!

That's why I told you if there was any doubt,
Run a fresh 'Green', 14 ga. wire back to the module and hook it up.
Unread 05-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #15
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I will agree with Jeephammer about just running a new green when in doubt, but you only found one end of it, where is the other end?

To see for sure if you still have the resister wire, just follow the red along a bit. It will come to a crimp connection with a fat soft orange or red wire and a wire going to the starter solenoid. This fat soft wire is the resistor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.