Team Rush Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Team Rush Problems

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Team Rush Problems

Well I Team Rushed today and now she will not start. About a week ago I got a miss that I narrowed down to a plug wire. If I moved the wire around it would stop missing. Well I figured since I was going to have to change the wires why not to the Team Rush. I also changed my coil and coil connector during the process.I bought all the parts from Advanced Auto with the exception of the recommended autolight wires that came from Auto Zone. I have already double checked the part numbers to make sure everything is correct. After the install she will not start. I have drained the battery and am calling it quits for the day. I followed the team rush directions with the execption of doing the water proofing. This is what I have done so far....

1) Checked all 6 points and the coil point on the distributer for a spark. They all have a spark.
2) I have cut and recrimped the new coil connector to make sure the connections were good. I also tried starting with my old coil as well.
3) I have checked and she is getting fuel. It is.
4) I took out the new plugs and installed the old ones just to see. Nothing.
5) I have triple checked that the plug wires are all correctly installed. Also my old number 1 is in the same position as the new number 1.

The only other option I can think of it puting it back to stock and seeing if it starts.... I also noticed that my oil level is a little higher then it was last week. There is not water in the oil, however it has a strong gas smell.

Any ideas????????

MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
frankush
2002 WJ 

Oil smells like gas because of all the cranking without starting. You have gasoline in your oil. I'm no Team Rush expert and will leave it to others with more knowledge than myself. You'll want to change the oil once you do get it started. Good luck and I'm sure it will be worth the effort. This is just a hiccup.
frankush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Did you try starting fluid to verify it's not a fuel issue?

OK... on the oil with gas smell.

Have you replaced your mechanical fuel pump? If you haven't and your fuel pump is original it may have a torn diaphram that lets gasoline drain into the crankcase as you run it. That will thin your oil and wear your bearings... ask me how I know.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

gojeepin-I have not tried starter fluid but I did pure gas in the carb several times. Once I get it running I will change the oil. If I still get the gas smell I will start with the fuel pump. Thanks for that advice!
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

OK... the gas in the carb trick will work too.

If you think you may have a leak in the fuel pump, don't let it go too long. When I drained the oil one time it sloshed around in the drip pan there was so much gasoline in it.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
Dad03
1975 CJ5 

Timing issue?
Dad03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Well a timing issue is about the only thing that would make sense to me, however I did not move the distributor when changing the cap and adding the cap adapter.
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

If it running way rich can that keep it from starting?
Unread 08-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Bump to get me back on the first page
Unread 08-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
BillyPilgrim
1979 CJ7 

Yes if it is running rich that will keep you from starting, try cranking it no choke wide open throttle see if you can get a hit. Also timing being off can make it very difficult to start. You should start over, if you are sure you have spark then I would find TDC on #1 and go from there. Good Luck and let us know if you figure out the problem!

[B]79 CJ-7:[/B]
t18
d300 twin sticked
Locked Waggy 44's / 4:88
RE 4.5in outboarded suspension.
BillyPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #11
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

If you are getting 'Fire' at the plug wire terminals on the cap,
Test for 'Fire' at the plugs themselves (ends of the plug wires).

If you are getting spark at the plugs, it's NOT the ignition system unless you have moved the distributor.
That is easy to check with a timing light since you can check timing while cranking the engine.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

The distributor did not move, I checked to make sure it was tight before I started. The only thing I have not checked yet is spark at the plug wire ends. There is a spark at the coil wire and all 6 points on the distributor. Since the wires are brand new I can imagine that they are bad but I will check them soon....

So I guess the next question is what can it be carb wise?? As I stated it was missing before I did the team rush upgrade and I though it was a bad wire. Is it possible that if it was running realy rich it would miss? Carter bbd that has not been nuttered. It was black smoking a little when it was missing, however I though it was from the miss. Is it commom for the stepper motor to go bad and cause symptoms like i described. When I pulled my old plugs they were a little black. I thought is was carbon, but after looking at them again it looks like oil. What else becides a bad stepper motor would cause this. The po did me know favors when it comes to the vac setup. Most of the lines are gone. The egr and electric choke are disconnected as well. It was running ok before it started missing. Ok, but not great.
Unread 08-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #13
BillyPilgrim
1979 CJ7 

well if your oil smells gassy and your plugs look like they could have some oil on them, could be rings, have you done a compression check? As far as not starting, I would def. check for spark at the plugs.

[B]79 CJ-7:[/B]
t18
d300 twin sticked
Locked Waggy 44's / 4:88
RE 4.5in outboarded suspension.
BillyPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Well I will start with a compression check this afternoon. Thanks for the help so far everyone. I will continue under a new post title since we have ruled of the rush upgrade as the real issue.
Unread 08-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #15
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
The distributor did not move, I checked to make sure it was tight before I started. The only thing I have not checked yet is spark at the plug wire ends. There is a spark at the coil wire and all 6 points on the distributor. Since the wires are brand new I can imagine that they are bad but I will check them soon....

So I guess the next question is what can it be carb wise?? As I stated it was missing before I did the team rush upgrade and I though it was a bad wire. Is it possible that if it was running realy rich it would miss? Carter bbd that has not been nuttered. It was black smoking a little when it was missing, however I though it was from the miss. Is it commom for the stepper motor to go bad and cause symptoms like i described. When I pulled my old plugs they were a little black. I thought is was carbon, but after looking at them again it looks like oil. What else becides a bad stepper motor would cause this. The po did me know favors when it comes to the vac setup. Most of the lines are gone. The egr and electric choke are disconnected as well. It was running ok before it started missing. Ok, but not great.
I am not the comuter control expert... If you are using the computer, carb BBd with feedback pins and all / many of your vac hoses and sensors are not hooked up you are in LIMP Mode. This will most likely be a rich running condition and very poor operation. Nutter and fixed position feedback pin are in your future or a hook up off all the old stuff again.

Regards,
Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.