Team Rush ??? Nuttered??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Team Rush ??? Nuttered???

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 01-21-2008, 06:58 AM   #16
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

For sure if you are going to do this job, it would be backward to use the 'el cheapo' parts! Defeat the purpose of the whole thing. Like Fred said, make sure the cap has BRASS contacts!

Bruce

HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:12 PM   #17
steveml
2006 LJ Wrangler 

HighCountry, I just sent you an email requesting the NAPA part numbers for the ford parts, including the proper coil, to do the team Rush mod. Hope you don't mind supplying them.
steveml is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #18
TexasCJ7
1986 CJ7 

Spark Plug Gap

Do you adjust the spark plug gap from the stock .035 if you do the Team Rush upgrade?

Thanks,
Unread 01-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #19
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

If you want the WORD on that for sure, we will need to chase down poor overworked JeepHammer! Please don't hold me to this, but I am pretty sure I rememer Hammer stating that you should run the plugs at .035. There was some thing about decreased 'spark energy' that was over my head that happened when you gapped wider!

Hammer, did I screw that up?

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #20
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCJ7
Do you adjust the spark plug gap from the stock .035 if you do the Team Rush upgrade?

Thanks,
You need a hotter spark to up the point gap. The Team Rush just gives you parts that don't wear out so fast basically. The stock cap and rotors go bad easy, especially the aftermarket ones. OEM still works pretty good.

I run an Accel coil and went to 040 on mine. Seems to work well, I get 23 mpg highway and it starts nice.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2008, 12:13 AM   #22
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

TFI, Ford E Coil Installation, Location, and Bracket

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a few good hints for those that want to install / hang this Ford E Coil on the JEEP 258 or 232. I used a 5x5" approx .025 thick sheet metal as a sub bracket. Drill 4 or 5 holes to match the E coil bracket holes. Mount E coil low & centered on this sheet metal sub plate. I used 3/16 x1/4" steel rivets to join the brakets together. This assembly will hang from the Jeep I6, 258, stock coil mount holes in the block. I drilled two 3/8" holes one at 2 oclock on the dial from the top/right corner of E coil connector. Drill the 3/8" hole so the head of the stock coil bolt clears the connector insertion path. The second 3/8 hole will be 2.5" to the left of the first hole. This is a tight fit and recommend you hand fit the adapter plate to block holes, elongate 3/8" holes if necessary. Paint both brackets with engine paint and let dry. The 2 BOLTS from the stock coil will hold new coil in place.

If you take the E Coil connector it makes electrical hook up easier. I crimped ring terminals to the E coil flying leads and inserted them into the Faston Connectors. This connects the E Coil to Jeep without damage to the Jeep Harness Coil Connections. In addition if on trail ride and Ford E Coil Fails you can reinstall Jeep Coil with nothing more that a knife to cut the heatshrink off and a wrench to remove coil bracket. Solder two Ring Terminal the same width as JEEP OIL Filled Coil connection tab. One for the green gound and one for the red hot on the used connector. The ring terminals will slide into the Jeep Stock Wire Faston Connectors that mate to the Jeep Stock Coil Tabs.

The Jeep Connectors can be extracted from the plastic c clip mounted on the stock coil, use a small screwdriver carefully. I also put a small amount of dielectric grease on the female faston/ring terminal combination and covered with heat shrink. Use the E Coil connector and flying leads as an extention of the Jeep Coil harnes... DO NOT REMOVE THE JEEP CONNECTORS. The E Coil Connector also has a second Red wire for the Capacitor with BOX type terminal. I put heat shrink over this Box Terminal and doubled over. I have a TAC installed on my Jeep Coil Harness +. It would also be possible to add TAC to the second Red wire in the E Coil Connector. I saved this wire in case the CAPACITOR was need for radio noise reduction. Cover the harness addition with split harness tubing and a tie wrap or two.

When using this stock coil location, the coil plug wire will be the correct length. This Ford E Coil assembly will just clear the oil dipstick and dissy. No additional holes are needed to mount this upgrade

Keep the original Jeep Coil and C clip as spare and always good to keep the OEM stuff. You will also need to plan ahead to have a coil plug wire that will mate to the old coil and new style cap.

I tried to keep the JEEP HARNESS whole using the ring terminals to mate to the stock .250" faston connectors from coil. The BEST way to do this would to be solder the E Coil wire/terminal combination to jeep harness. I do have a slight engine roll and it could be this connection. The alternative would be cut the coil terminals off with some wire(can be spliced back in) and solder in the flying leads from the E Coil connector. Some JEEPFORUM guys will like the ring/faston combination to keep the Jeep Original, others for reliability may want to solder in.

AFTER Changing the Coil, Cap, Rotar, Plug Wires from the BRAND NEW stock style Cap, Rotar, Plug Wires and the stock coil mileage was improved 2.3 mpg. I have a new rebuilt engine and got 15.2mpg last wk and after this change mileage inproved to 17.5 mpg. I was traveling at 70 mph and both times had a hour stop or more so engine cooled off. Temps in single digits. I did NOT adjust the timing or carb after this change. I have a slight engine roll and does not start as well. Next warm spell will try to get tuned in.

Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2008, 12:28 AM   #23
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

I pulled the USED FORD E COIL from the you pull junk yard. The coil for 80 & 90's Ford, bracket, connector & flying leads / wires I cut, noise capacitor, mounting screws (just in case want to mount to fender or fire wall) COST ME A TOTAL OF $4.00 AND 10 MINUTES TO PULL.
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #24
Keyser328
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskate View Post
The Nutter basically gives you a pre-'83 timing/mixture setup...1983 has the metering, my first Jeep was an '83.
As do the California sold '82s. The only major difference is the system was even less "refined." My computer is bolted to the fender well. At least it will be easy to pull out...
Unread 02-07-2008, 09:33 AM   #25
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser328 View Post
As do the California sold '82s. The only major difference is the system was even less "refined." My computer is bolted to the fender well. At least it will be easy to pull out...
The unit on the fender is the electronic ignition module, pull that and you go nowhere fast.

Look beside the battery for a large oval grommet in the firewall, the computer is behind there.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 02-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #26
Keyser328
1982 CJ7 

Noted. I haven't gone wire tracing yet, but that makes sense.
Unread 02-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #27
Uncle Russ
1984 CJ7 

If you have the engine control computer, it's inside the Jeep, behind the glove box screwed to the heater housing. Easiest way to pull it out is to remove the glove box, unscrew the computer and pull it out. The ECU's wire harness does penetrate the firewall near the battery.
-- Robert Earl Keen

Military Jeepers Click Here!
Uncle Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #28
tippmann243
1990 YJ Wrangler 

got a couple questions about this. can i just use a oem style coil for this application.

just wondering because ive got a brand new msd blaster coil sitting in my tool box.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

also im new to jeeps but according to the links and this post all i will need for my 1990 yj with a 4.2 are the cap, cap adapter, rotor and wires listed in post #21 correct?

ive already done the nutter bypass and im looking for anything to get my jeep running better. if anything a little bit more mpg cuz 14 mpg hurts the wallet.

*edit* found this in a search, sorry didnt realize it was in the cj section.

thanks
-mark
tippmann243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #29
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippmann243 View Post
got a couple questions about this. can i just use a oem style coil for this application.

just wondering because ive got a brand new msd blaster coil sitting in my tool box.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

also im new to jeeps but according to the links and this post all i will need for my 1990 yj with a 4.2 are the cap, cap adapter, rotor and wires listed in post #21 correct?

ive already done the nutter bypass and im looking for anything to get my jeep running better. if anything a little bit more mpg cuz 14 mpg hurts the wallet.

*edit* found this in a search, sorry didnt realize it was in the cj section.

thanks
-mark
Yes, you can use an OEM coil. Just keep your spark plug gap OEM also. I have a hotter Accel supercoil so I opened the spark gap on my Champion plugs a bit. I think I went to 040. I still use the OEM cap and rotor and wires though.
Unread 02-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #30
tippmann243
1990 YJ Wrangler 

can anyone comment on the extra ground strap/wire i have read a little about through the search.

when searching for team rush. you some times get a mention of adding an addition ground to the system but no one goes into detail about it.

can some one shed some light on the situtaion.

thanks
-mark
tippmann243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.