Team Rush ??? Nuttered??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Team Rush ??? Nuttered???

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
tumbleweed58
1985 CJ7 

Team Rush ??? Nuttered???

Okay Okay Yess I am a newbe but what is a Team rush and what is Nuttered

tumbleweed58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

It used to be team rush, but he's better with medication!

Nutter Bypass is bypassing all your emissions. Google search that, or search on here. MAkes your jeep run like a champ.

Team Rush upgrade is... is.... not needed on my jeep, I know that.
Project "Vote Utilitarian"
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Nothing wrong with being a 'Newbie'!
Some of the guys get cranky when the 'Newbies' ask the same questions over again, but it doesn't bother me.

I suggest you learn to use the 'Search' function on this Forum.
You can find some pretty good answers with out having to post and wait for someone to reply,
AND,
You get to compare answers!
Not all replies are created equal!

Glad to have you aboard! We can always use another CJ junky...!
-------------------------

'TeamRush' upgrade is simply using your existing distributor, and changing/Upgrading the distributor cap, rotor and plug wires (all tune up stuff) so the ignition works more efficiently.

Jeep used a very short distributor rotor, and a very small and poorly designed distributor cap on the Jeep/Motorcraft distributors.

By using the larger Ford/Motorcraft parts
(that drop right on the Jeep distributor with no modifications)
You ignition does a much better job of getting the spark energy to the plugs it was intended to be at.

This easy upgrade is available for both the I-6 and V-8 engines from '78 to '86 CJ's. Parts are 'Off The Shelf' at any autoparts store, although you should use a brass terminal cap and premium rotor, with some good plug wires.
----------------------

A guy named 'John Nutter' came up with a simple way to bypass the timing computer that controlled the idle and low rpm timing and fuel metering on 258/4.2L I-6 engines from '84 to '86 CJ's.
V-8 engines and I-6 engines '83 and older don't have the timing computer, so the 'Nutter Bypass' isn't necessary.

If you do the 'Nutter Bypass' you should it it in it's entirety.
Most people just jumper the wire, and quit.
There are some other steps that need to be taken to properly do the 'Nutter Bypass' including adjusting the carb stepper motor...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Basically, the "team rush" thing is this. Your jeep has the same ignition that was installed on Fords of those years. Ford upgraded their Distributor Cap and Rotor in order to use an Ignition Coil with a higher voltage spark. All you need to do is buy an Adapter/Spacer, Cap and Rotor for an early 80's Ford pickup truck with the 300cid 6 cylinder and they will snap right onto your Jeep distributor. Then you will need a set of plug wires from a later model Jeep 4.0 6 cylinder that has the reversed terminals on the cap like the Ford cap you just installed. You can put this all together first and then install your choice of Ignition Coil at a later date. Personally, my CJ runs perfectly well by just using the best quality original type ignition parts supplemented with an ACCEL Part # 8140HV 'high vibration' Super Stock Coil. I like it because it fits in my stock coil mount bracket!

If you would care to have them, I can supply you with the part numbers for the best quality items that you can get at a NAPA store. I have online access to their parts catalogs and served time there doing parts.

The Nutter modification is better explained by another poster here, a Mike Romain. I will let you wait for his help there...

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

And don't let JeepHammer off the hook without getting him to convince you to add an EXTRA ground wire to the ignition circuit! Be sure you do that!

Bruce
Unread 01-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
tumbleweed58
1985 CJ7 

Thanks good info and I have the parts on hand. I will do this mod except for the coil ASAP again thanks for ihe info and I will check out the search fuction
tumbleweed58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

I typed "what is team rush" into search a while back and got nothing - since I have a 64 134f head - I shall wait till the next build to make a wheelie popin rig and just couldn't bring myself to ask in a thread - now I know soooo - thank you for askin

Quote:
Some of the guys get cranky when the 'Newbies' ask the same questions over again, but it doesn't bother me
this is why jeephammer rules - but read what he posts and folow his advice

he should have his own section of the forum - wish we lived closer- I'd either make friends with him - or a steady customer - always dead on with advice
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 05:24 AM   #8
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

You shoulda just typed in 'team rush'...you're being too specific...that's part of learning how to use a search engine...try different combos to see what turns up.

What I credit our friend JeepHammer/the artist formerly known as TeamRush with is adding the TFI coil into the mix and really working out the details of the mod, instructions, and really good explanations & diagrams...the rest of what's termed the TeamRush upgrade has been around for years...I was running it back in the late 80's and it had been around before that.

The Nutter basically gives you a pre-'83 timing/mixture setup...1983 has the metering, my first Jeep was an '83.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Best upgrade for the f-head would be a pertronix kit and get rid of the points.

That is on the list for my '56, but that would require putting a ballast resistor back in. Running without one for 10 years and sill haven't burnt a set of points or killed a coil.
Unread 01-20-2008, 12:48 AM   #10
CompGuru
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCountry
And don't let JeepHammer off the hook without getting him to convince you to add an EXTRA ground wire to the ignition circuit! Be sure you do that!

Bruce

I completed the TR upgrade a few weeks ago but did not know about this step. What exactly is it and what is it's effect if any? Thanks. Dustin.

Team Rush, Halogen Headlights, Nutter Bypass, more to come...

"There is no mechanical problem too tough that cannot be fixed by brute strength and ignorance."

"Remember, Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic."
CompGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:35 AM   #11
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

There is a problem with resistance and intermittant grounding of the Ignition Module. It grounds by way of Black wir running all the way across to the Distributor and then "hoping" that the distributor is making good contact with the engine. Apparently a partial or sometimes ground can cause the Ignition Module to fail rapidly and most likely cause other odd running even if it doesn't die!

Find the BLACK wire coming out of the Distributor, trace it into the harness, splice into it with a GOOD weather/water/corrosion proof connection and then connect the other end of the splice to a definite ground location. I used the factory grounding pad on th side of the block just above the Oil Pressue sending unit!

Just be sure to do your connections WELL, or the Gremlins will get you after a few months!

Bruce
Unread 01-20-2008, 08:23 AM   #12
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail
Best upgrade for the f-head would be a pertronix kit and get rid of the points.

That is on the list for my '56, but that would require putting a ballast resistor back in. Running without one for 10 years and sill haven't burnt a set of points or killed a coil.
already done
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #13
kharmajavah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCountry
Basically, the "team rush" thing is this. Your jeep has the same ignition that was installed on Fords of those years. Ford upgraded their Distributor Cap and Rotor in order to use an Ignition Coil with a higher voltage spark. All you need to do is buy an Adapter/Spacer, Cap and Rotor for an early 80's Ford pickup truck with the 300cid 6 cylinder and they will snap right onto your Jeep distributor. Then you will need a set of plug wires from a later model Jeep 4.0 6 cylinder that has the reversed terminals on the cap like the Ford cap you just installed. You can put this all together first and then install your choice of Ignition Coil at a later date. Personally, my CJ runs perfectly well by just using the best quality original type ignition parts supplemented with an ACCEL Part # 8140HV 'high vibration' Super Stock Coil. I like it because it fits in my stock coil mount bracket!

If you would care to have them, I can supply you with the part numbers for the best quality items that you can get at a NAPA store. I have online access to their parts catalogs and served time there doing parts.

The Nutter modification is better explained by another poster here, a Mike Romain. I will let you wait for his help there...

Bruce

Any chance you can hook me up with those part numbers?
kharmajavah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #14
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

kharmajavah, I sent you a PM with the part info. This time I wrote down the numbers and filed them!

Bruce
Unread 01-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #15
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Goood Job Guys.
Yes We Need To Searchfirst.

Jeephammers Link To Junkyard Dog Article On Teamrush Upgrade
www.junkyardgenius.com/ignition/jeep/heicompair.html

I should also add OReily Auto parts had the Cap, Cap Adapter, and rotar for less than the others when I priced out and all had lifetime warranty. These are brass contacts in the cap and all have grey color. NO BLACK, read link to see why??????????????????
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.