Team Rush HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Team Rush HELP!

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 09-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #1
pnorris
1976 CJ7 

Team Rush HELP!

I done the team rush this weekend on my 1976 CJ7 w/I6 and everyworks perfect except the engine keeps running ofter I turn off the ignition switch.
I installed the diode that summit racing supplied with the ignition module to the wire on the alternator. It seemed to work after I installed the diode, because I started it up and shut it down a few times. I thinking everything is working fine now so I drove it around the block and notice the voltage peged out to over 16V's. I pulled up in the drive way, turn off the switch and it kept running. I disconnected the red wire from the switch and it shut down. I started it back up and it, turned off the key, it shuts down. (Perfect) voltage meter working fine everything is good. Drove around a little bit. The voltage meter pegs out and it want turn off with the ignition switch. What's going on? Can I just install a toggle switch in line of the red wire from the ignition switch to keep the voltage from bleeding through?

pnorris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #2
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Sounds like you might have put the Diode in the wrong alternator wire, or installed it backwards.

The diode needed to go in the 'Excite' wire, small, 'Brown', stiff.
The diode had a painted 'Stripe' on one end, that stripe needed to 'Face' the alternator.

Radio Shack p/n 276-1143 or p/n 276-1144 will work,
Make sure the 'Stripe' faces the alternator.

Here is a picture of the plug/harness rig I make up for my builds and as a 'Field Tester' for Delco Alternators...

When I use this, I usually remove the 'Brown' stiff resistor wire completely and splice this in instead.

The alternator plug & wiring pigtail can be found at any auto parts store for under $5.
The diodes are $1.59 a package at Radio Shack.
The Extra small crimp connectors are from Radio Shack also.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
pnorris
1976 CJ7 

I"m sure I have the right wire. I must have install the diode backwards. Thanks JeepHammer for all of you help. Your THE MAN Hopefully I can drive around now and not have to worry about the old Prestolite system crapping out on me. Also I re-gaped the plugs to .045 is this correct?
Unread 09-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

With a CDI module, you can open the plugs up to 0.045" with no problems what so ever.

If you want to test the 'Run On' theory, just unplug the two wire plug to your alternator, and start the vehicle up a few times.

Don't get carried away since your alternator won't be charging, but two or three times won't hurt anything, just to make sure that it's going to shut down with the diode in place...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2008, 05:07 AM   #5
pnorris
1976 CJ7 

I turned the diode around. Now everything is okay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.