Team rush and ECM - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 104 Old 10-04-2015, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
tripmaker
1982 CJ7 

Team rush and ECM

Guess I'm a little lost. From what I've seen the rush is kind of hard on the ECM am I right? So what do you do to fix it? Can you delete the ECM or bypass it? Mine has started going I think it is leaking the goopy stuff out and from what I've seen on here it's not long after that it dies.

Thanks for your help.

trip maker

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old 10-04-2015, 08:25 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmaker View Post
Guess I'm a little lost. From what I've seen the rush is kind of hard on the ECM am I right? So what do you do to fix it? Can you delete the ECM or bypass it? Mine has started going I think it is leaking the goopy stuff out and from what I've seen on here it's not long after that it dies.

Thanks for your help. trip maker

Are you confusing the ECM (Electronic Control Module) for the ICM (Ignition Control Module)?

The ICM is mounted on the driver's side fender, and it can't be bypassed, if you are running the factory Duraspark ignition system.

The ECM (aka: "computer") is located near the glove compartment on the interior side of the firewall, if you have one. It is what is bypassed when you do the Nutter Bypass.

Matt
post #3 of 104 Old 10-04-2015, 11:15 AM
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

'82, no computer.
Engine Control Module, or more to the point,
Emissions Control Managment.

Since we ruled out emissions control,
You must be talking about the Ignition Control Module.

The 'Team Rush' upgrade isn't any harder on the module than the stock ignition until you change out the factory canister coil for an E-Core coil.
When you change to an E-core coil, you are better off with a module designed for an E-core, simply for efficiency, increased spark energy.

The BASIC 'Team Rush' upgrade is just better cap, rotor, plug wires (provided you use quality components),
It has nothing to do with the ignition module, coil, ect.

The next step IS to swap out the coil for an E-Core coil.
This would be a good time to change out the factory style module for the 'John Strenk Stealth Upgrade'.
This is simply gutting the factory module and installing a HEI style module in the factory box.
Very easy to do and since it uses the HEI style module you get both increased dependability, along with a module designed to work best with an E-Core coil.

Not much to the entire thing,
Better cap, rotor, plug wires, more reliable module, coil that produces better spark energy...
All off the shelf parts, all replaceable at any parts store when you need replacements.
post #4 of 104 Old 10-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
'82, no computer.
Engine Control Module, or more to the point,
Emissions Control Managment.
Actually, the '82 California models did have a computer. There's a whole section in the '82 FSM devoted to it.

The FSM refers to the microprocessor (computer) for the I6 as a Micro Computer Unit, or MCU.

Matt
post #5 of 104 Old 10-04-2015, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
tripmaker
1982 CJ7 

Ok I get it now I did get the two mix up. And I do not have a ECM it's a Texas jeep. Matt Jeephammer many thanks on setting me on the right trail. So I got to start looking for parts. I know Napa has the cap rotor and wires and maybe the coil but the Stealth not for sure. Anyway thanks once again. ( )
post #6 of 104 Old 10-04-2015, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
tripmaker
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmaker
ok i get it now i did get the two mix up. And i do not have a ecm it's a texas jeep. Matt jeephammer many thanks on setting me on the right trail. So i got to start looking for parts. I know napa has the cap rotor and wires and maybe the coil but the stealth for sure. Anyway thanks once again. ( )
(
)
post #7 of 104 Old 10-04-2015, 02:10 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

NAPA sells a replacement ICM for your CJ. Some reports claim they are Chinese-made crap.

I didn't risk it when I upgraded. I went with the MSD box.

Matt
post #8 of 104 Old 10-04-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
tripmaker
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
NAPA sells a replacement ICM for your CJ. Some reports claim they are Chinese-made crap. I didn't risk it when I upgraded. I went with the MSD box. Matt
Ok now I'm back on the confusing side lol I was thinking if you went with the E coil and the rush you would drop the icm. Am I wrong ( as usual lol)

(
)
post #9 of 104 Old 10-04-2015, 02:19 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Yes, you are wrong. I think you are still confusing the Team Rush with the Nutter Bypass. Two completely different things.

The Team Rush is just a bigger distributor cap, rotor, and a cap adapter for your current distributor. Your ignition system still needs a ignition coil and module (ICM).

The Nutter Bypass disables the computer-controlled fuel and ignition system. It doesn't apply to your setup.

Matt
post #10 of 104 Old 10-04-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
tripmaker
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Yes, you are wrong. The Team Rush is just a bigger distributor cap, rotor, and a cap adapter for your current distributor. Your ignition system still needs a ignition coil and module (ICM), either way. Matt
Ok Matt thanks for getting me through this. So when I up grade my coil I need to up grade my icm to what ever I decide on (msd I guess still need to check on this) man it was easier on the 60 and 70 models lol.
Thanks Matt

(
)
post #11 of 104 Old 10-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You don't have to "upgrade" with the e-core coil, or the Team Rush. You can stick with the factory replacement ICMs sold at all parts shops, but the quality is suspect.

I think you need to do a little more reading before you attempt anything more than just the simple Team Rush.

Matt
post #12 of 104 Old 10-04-2015, 03:53 PM
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

The small/short distributor cap Jeep used doesn't do a very good job with an electronic ignition...

The 'Team Rush' is just the larger/taller cap & rotor the distributor Jeep should have used,
The taller rotor & wider cap controls the spark energy on the way to the spark plugs.
Has nothing to do with changing timing, modifying computers, ect.

------

Then next, now you have control of the spark energy through the cap,
Is better plug wires to get that spark energy RELIBLY to the spark plugs.
Again, factory wires of the period can't hold a candle to what a good set of modern plug wires will do for you.

-------

Once you can control the spark energy in the cap, and get that spark energy to the plugs,
Then *IF* you want to,
You can increase USEABLE spark energy by swapping out module and coil to a different design that makes more USEABLE spark energy.

-----------

Once all that is done,
Then you *CAN*, but don't have to,
Mess with timing a little.

The idea here is,
Jeep built a lot of 'Safety' into the ignition advance curve.
They didn't know if you were zipping around in a 'Bare' Jeep,
Or trying to tow a boat/car trailer that weighed more than your Jeep.

If you just drive the Jeep and don't try to tow the house around behind it,
Then you can tune for better power and fuel economy.

----

Along those lines,
The later models that had an Oxygen Sensor & emissions computer controlling timing had a really retarded timing curve, a big electrical connector sticking out the back of the carb,
Once the computer stopped working, the Jeep lost a bunch of power.

The 'Nutter Bypass' allowed you to take timing control back,
And adjust timing directly again.
You unplug the carb from the wiring harness,
Change and lock down some carb settings,
Change some wiring on the distributor to ignition module,
And directly take control of the timing.

-------

Matt is correct about '82 CA. Emissions Computers,
I ran into one a few years back.
Only on the I-6 engines as I remember...

Would have been a good time for AMC/Jeep to have gone to fuel injection, but they didn't and now they are extinct.

Change isn't always a bad thing.
post #13 of 104 Old 10-04-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
tripmaker
1982 CJ7 

Yes that's what I'm going to do. My cap and rotor are bad. So that is first. The timing is good and I should not have to worry bout that for now. My carb is in need of a work over. I'm going to rebuild my back up tomorrow but not put it on until I get the team rush installed first. And a drive . Jeephammer Matt thanks for your help and knowledge.

trip maker
post #14 of 104 Old 10-05-2015, 07:01 AM
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

The basic 'Team Rush' upgrade is simply using 'Ford' parts in a 'Tune Up',
Instead of the Jeep factory parts.

Taller rotor gets spark energy up off the distributor shaft and distributor body which reduces the chance of your spark energy jumping to 'Ground' instead of going to the plug wires/plugs.

The wider cap seperates terminals so your spark energy doesn't go to the wrong terminal in the cap.

The 'Ford' cap allows for much better post terminals on the plug wires.
Good wires get the spark energy to the spark plugs...

Its all drop on parts, and roughly the same amount of money as 'Jeep' parts.
Normally, no tools other than a screwdriver...

These are the 'Ford' parts that should have been used with the electronic ignition in the first place.
Ford/Motorcraft designed these parts specifically to work with the higher powered electronic ignition...
post #15 of 104 Old 10-05-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
tripmaker
1982 CJ7 

Pick up parts to day. Got them all but the riser and wires on back order should be here Wednesday. Then I will get busy. I do have a question will the ICM make the idle rough? When its cold it starts right up and idle ok. But when it warms up it's bogs down bad. But at the higher rpm,s runs great . I really don't think it's the carb. It's about year old and I did look it over and it's clean. The tubes have been drilled and not gummy. You guys know the ICM better than me.

Thanks in advance.

trip maker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.