TBI Troubleshooting thread (split from Truck Avenger Thread) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > TBI Troubleshooting thread (split from Truck Avenger Thread)

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-08-2006, 09:50 AM   #31
YJ_Aaron
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, after replacing the ignition module, it hasn't died on me anymore or fallen on its face when I try to take off from a stop.

So this might have fixed the problem but not sure just yet.

Aaron

http://ozarksjeepthing.com/c/index.php
YJ_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2006, 08:01 AM   #32
OJTV8XJ

Hey Bill - I figured out that the ignition module was bad. Aaron then took it to the local parts dummies and they tested it. It was bad at low RPM. It seems to enough of a fix to get us through this weekend until we can really get into cleaning it up and actually diagnose all the problems.

I do have a question. After installing the ignition module I bumped the timing up approx. 4 degrees to get the off idle hesitation worked out. I have always heard that TBI has that hesitation right off idle - but is this normal or the result of poor tuning? Can a TBI be tuned to compare with Vortec's? This is only as far as throttle response not HP numbers.

I am working on getting the cable stuff together so that we can stream a couple of motors. Like I said I am not the most computer literate. Wish me luck.
OJTV8XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2006, 09:53 AM   #33
Bill USN-1

Good to hear.

If set up and tuned properly, there should be no hesitation.

To be honest I have never heard that.
In fact most comment on just how responsive and smooth the throttle is compared to carbs.

I doubt it's much more then tuning the accelerator pump (AE for TBI).

Vortec or TBI doesn't really make a difference.
Unread 10-10-2006, 11:05 PM   #34
OJTV8XJ

Got the cable tonight. Had an electrical engineer do it for me, since he completely understood the transistor and resistor speak. LOL

Now to download the ALDL software and log some junk. This should be fun.
OJTV8XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #35
Bill USN-1

If you only have usb on your laptop then make sure the usb to serial cable has a driver disk with it.

You also have to make sure it is on a com port 1-4.

Most is covered in the data logging thread...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.