TBI Fuel Pump Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > TBI Fuel Pump Question

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 09-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
ericksin
1982 CJ7 

TBI Fuel Pump Question

I need a new 20-psi fuel pump for my Holley TBI system, my question is the flow rate.

One pump I'm looking at has a flow rate of 23gph, 20-psi for $50. the other is 50gph, 20-psi for $140. Does any one know what a TBI system needs as far as gph? and has any one replaced the TBI pump with an aftermarket pump?

My Holley Manual says it needs a minimum of 12-psi to operate properly but doesn't say anything about the gph.....

Unread 09-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

What are the outlet sizes on the two? Wouldn't a pump rated for twice the flow at the same psi have to have an outlet twice as large? That might help you figure out which one you need as last I checked a Jeep doesn't need a 3/4" fuel line.

**edit** Nevermind, been a while since I was last in school.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Tyger78
1984 CJ7 

Just a thought, Your TBI system has a fuel pressure regulator yes? If the system states that it requires a minimum of 12 psi, to me, that suggests that it also regulates it to 12 psi if it supplied with more.

So..... as long as you supply the TBI system with it's minimum (12 psi), the extra psi is going to be diverted and regulated back anyhow.

In theory of course, the only question would be "which one do you want, and would you have to adapt the inlet/outlet".

Of course, this is just me throwing some pennies around, as I'm no pro.
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
ericksin
1982 CJ7 

Yea... the manual says to set your regulator to 15-psi..... so I figured the cheaper pump should be ok, both pumps have a 3/8 in/outlet...... just checking to see if there something not seeing.

Thank
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Toine
1986 CJ7 

Yes it will make a huge difference, especially at half till full trottle, you need that 50 gallon flow.
I have very good experience with the Airtex pump for TBI, rated @ 17psi, #E8094
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
ericksin
1982 CJ7 

Well I was about to order the cheep pump till I seen your info.... I found the Airtex E8094 Electric Fuel Pump like you posted for $85.13 free shipping on Amazon.... what can you tell me about your experience with TBI's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toine View Post
Yes it will make a huge difference, especially at half till full trottle, you need that 50 gallon flow.
I have very good experience with the Airtex pump for TBI, rated @ 17psi, #E8094
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
ericksin
1982 CJ7 

just found it on ebay for 71.99 free shipping
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
Toine
1986 CJ7 

My experience with the TBI is that it need really its pressure and flow for proper working injectors, this Airtex pump is a lot bigger and heavier than those cheap 14-15 psi pumps.
They can be loud when hot, but have a long life - mine run for 7 years now with 30.000 miles - still strong - I have one spare with me in case.
Go for it you would'n be dissapointed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.