Tank Type Block Heater - Assist Please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tank Type Block Heater - Assist Please

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

Tank Type Block Heater - Assist Please

Has anyone installed one of these? I need to utilize an available engine block drain to install the nipple that connects to the cold water inlet on the tank heater. The heating unit must be fastened at least 6 inches below the top of the valve head. The only available point of connection I can see is on the manifold side of the block but it is so close to the cat converter and exhaust and I fear the rubber hoses and electric cord would be vulnerable near too much heat. I have placed a red arrow on the photo to pinpoint the drain port I am speaking of. I am thinking of extending the heating unit away from this hot spot with an 8 inch length of pipe. Also, the heater outlet must connect to a heater hose on the opposite side of the engine which seems quite a long run of hose that must not be routed above the water level in the radiator and must go around the front of the engine avoiding the fan and pulleys without going over the engine to get to the other side. I would really appreciate any suggestions offered. Thanks!

Photo credited to John Foutz

[]=O=[]
littlebuddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
th3_d0c
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had a heater on my old YJ(Canadian version, probably still aftermarket). But I believe it was actually in one of the big shiny holes just above that bolt. The rear one to be exact. I will comment, when it breaks it will scare the poop out of you, "WHY IS THERE SO MUCH STEAM FOLLOWING ME?!"
But, I guess it would have been more of a block heater.
th3_d0c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
ElZorro
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3_d0c View Post
I had a heater on my old YJ(Canadian version, probably still aftermarket). But I believe it was actually in one of the big shiny holes just above that bolt. The rear one to be exact. I will comment, when it breaks it will scare the poop out of you, "WHY IS THERE SO MUCH STEAM FOLLOWING ME?!"
But, I guess it would have been more of a block heater.
Yep, that would have been a freeze plug heater.
ElZorro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

Thanks for your replies th3_d0c and ElZorro,
I suppose a freeze plug heater might have been easier to install but I have had this tank-type heater new in the box stashed in the garage for many years and decided to install it this year. I know both these type block heaters are popular in colder climates so maybe in the near future someone with one of these tank-type heaters will add their experience. Hopefully before it gets too cold............
Thanks Guys!!

[]=O=[]
Unread 11-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
JCJ
1985 CJ7 

I haven't purchased one yet and I'm sure there are a few different kinds with different plumbing requirements. I was under the impression that it could either be installed inline or with a couple of T's between the heater hoses pulling from the intake side and supplying the warmed coolant to the pump side. A possible good or bad side effect would be that the heater core also receives warmed coolant.

What brand and model do you have?
JCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

Hi JCJ,
As you can see, it has been stashed in the garage for a long time - it's a NAPA Balkamp.........Balkamp??? Yup. The primary requirements are that it is mounted no less than 6 inches below the top of the valve head and that the hoses are placed so that there is no air lock along the route, so I guess that means keep the hoses low, short and below the highest point of the coolant/water level. Thanks for your interest in my question.

[]=O=[]
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

Bump.......still need advice.......thanks............

[]=O=[]
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Why not use the other port on the engine. Both of these were used for a CTO device.

Yellow arrow.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

I had one on mine. Just took it off as I did not find it to be all that effective. Mind you it was PO mod, so maybe it could have been installed better. But none the less, it was more pain than benifit.
Unread 11-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

Excellent, thanks John! I was wondering if I could use that other port. I'll keep what you say in mind chewtoy but the good thing is it is easy to pull the unit without any problems or repairs if it doesn't work out.
Thanks!!

[]=O=[]
Unread 11-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Wanna know a trick on how to replace these plugs without loosing any coolant?
Unread 11-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

You can use the front plug and add a pipe to it to clear the exhaust pipe then mount the heater on the inside fender well. For the return line use a copper pipe that can be bent in a shape to clear the fan belts.
tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
cheese_man
1977 CJ7 

it is meant to be connected to the lowest point of the engine block ( coolant port )

find a plug near the oil pan and connect the pre heater to that port
cheese_man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

"Wanna know a trick on how to replace these plugs without loosing any coolant?"

Yes
Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #15
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordwrench View Post
"Wanna know a trick on how to replace these plugs without loosing any coolant?"

Yes
Remove the radiator cap, get a shop vac and attach the hose to the top of the radiator. Turn the vac ON. You can then remove the plug without any coolant leaking out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.