Tank is full, fuel gauge reads Half tank!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tank is full, fuel gauge reads Half tank!?!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
martyweir
1976 CJ7 

Tank is full, fuel gauge reads Half tank!?!

I have stock dash cluster, and the fuel gauge is reading half full when tank is full (just filled her up for first time in several years).
I put in new temp gauge / fuel gauge about 3 years ago before storage. New Fuel sending unit at same time, and I'm pretty sure it worked then.

Any help on where to start here???

martyweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

Has it ever been acurate. I replaced mine and had to calibrate it by bending the float arm. You can also bend the stops. I ended up with 2 gallons left on empty and the had barely goes to full. Good luck. jc
80 CJ-7 Straight six,comp cam,4.0 head, cherokee header, DUI distributor, Affordable FI TBI ,4.10's wide track amc 20 aussie locked and trussed, Dana 30 aussie locked, PSC steering box, 4.5 RE lift, twin sticked dana 300 with Lo max 4to1 35"STT'S ON DC-1 "It's getting there"
aero mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
whittlecj
1980 CJ7 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/fuel-guage-doesnt-work-607785/

I was going to recommend John Strenk's web pages but they seem to be down. If he needs a host I will provide if I can, they are too good to go missing from the net.
whittlecj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
martyweir
1976 CJ7 

Thanks for the help aero. I may consider this, Will have tub off soon... WittleCJ, I read all of those, and didn't come across anything with guage working, but giving incorrect reading. Might be callibration issue / or voltage issue from gauge.

Anyone else ever have an issue w/ this?
martyweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I would be checking the ohms from the sender on the pink wire.

The gauge 'can' be calibrated from behind. It has a range and top/bottom adjusting slot in the stock gauge.

Here is one page on the gauge diagnostics:

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=261534
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
I would be checking the ohms from the sender on the pink wire.

The gauge 'can' be calibrated from behind. It has a range and top/bottom adjusting slot in the stock gauge.

Here is one page on the gauge diagnostics:

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=261534
Mike can you go into little more detail. I wasn't aware of this I am going to change my sending unit out soon beings it worked for two tanks of gas and now inop. You just can't find good replacement parts jc
80 CJ-7 Straight six,comp cam,4.0 head, cherokee header, DUI distributor, Affordable FI TBI ,4.10's wide track amc 20 aussie locked and trussed, Dana 30 aussie locked, PSC steering box, 4.5 RE lift, twin sticked dana 300 with Lo max 4to1 35"STT'S ON DC-1 "It's getting there"
Unread 09-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Dear Aero,

Take a look at the link in Mike Romains post... very good article and lists the resistance levels for the sensors so they can be checked out.

An example.
My CJ7 reads low on temp guage even when hot and going down the road. Using this write up link tested the cold reading and the Thermister is reading 47 ohm cold vs 73 ohms so close and will ck when hot and should be close to 9 ohms. If it is does not ohm out hot, I may need a new sensor.

Similar values were posted for the fuel tank and oil pressure systems.

Nice article, I printed it, Thanks Mike,
Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 03:47 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Maybe the float on the sending unit is filled with fuel and wont float anymore. Many guys go with a brass float now.

I'll see what's up with my web site.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 03:56 AM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Ahh
Here we go...

http://home.roadrunner.com/~john.str...for_cj_gau.htm
http://home.roadrunner.com/~john.str...QuickFacts.htm
http://home.roadrunner.com/~john.str...eQuickTest.htm

http://home.roadrunner.com/~john.str...ageGauges1.htm

Still, maybe I need an alternate site to host them. Just in case. i was pretty jittery when I realized I might not have a backup to restore the pages.
whittlecj, you still offering some room?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #10
whittlecj
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post

Still, maybe I need an alternate site to host them. Just in case. i was pretty jittery when I realized I might not have a backup to restore the pages.
whittlecj, you still offering some room?
Sure, PM sent.
whittlecj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #11
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post
Dear Aero,

Take a look at the link in Mike Romains post... very good article and lists the resistance levels for the sensors so they can be checked out.

An example.
My CJ7 reads low on temp guage even when hot and going down the road. Using this write up link tested the cold reading and the Thermister is reading 47 ohm cold vs 73 ohms so close and will ck when hot and should be close to 9 ohms. If it is does not ohm out hot, I may need a new sensor.

Similar values were posted for the fuel tank and oil pressure systems.

Nice article, I printed it, Thanks Mike,
Fred
Fred, Thanks for the tip. I understand about the omhs part. I tested mine before installing it and also filled the fuel tanks and checked it that way. I was actually refering to the adjustment on the gauge. I'll check the sight links posted up. Thanks again jc

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.