Tales from the 258: Can you identify these hoses? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tales from the 258: Can you identify these hoses?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Tales from the 258: Can you identify these hoses?

I'm starting work on cleaning up the plumbing after the Nutter, using this post where possible.

So far I've been able to pull the vaccum canister and that's about it. Can you identify the objects and lines in these two photos?

Photo #1: The red arrow points to a line that was capped off with a bolt:

Photo #2:

Unread 07-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I 'think' one is a non linear vacuum diverter for mixing the distributor vacuum up. It is an emissions part for sure that can go.

Number 2 is a recalled part that should be take out of the system. There should only be a T on that line picking up the charcoal canister only.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

I agree with mike, Took all this stuff off my heep as well. Actually I got rid of it all except the PCV, Vacuum advance, and Vacuum assisted choke...
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
I 'think' one is a non linear vacuum diverter for mixing the distributor vacuum up. It is an emissions part for sure that can go.

Number 2 is a recalled part that should be take out of the system. There should only be a T on that line picking up the charcoal canister only.
On the first part/photo (possible non-linear vac diverter): if I remove this, I'll be left with 2 unequal hoses. My choices are 1) join them together, or 2) cap them off. The large hose looks like a vent/vapor hose and the small one looks like a vaccum hose. Probably not a good idea to join them, eh?

I guess I need to figure out where they go before I can make the correct decision.

Ken
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

That is a Decel valve.
Very worth while if you have plans to control vacuum advance with manifold signal. I have a hunch that there will be a gentleman on tomorrow who may want to speak to you about taking it of your hands, if you're so inclined and have no use for it.

This is a very useful site Jeep Adventures Under the Hood which will allow you to make a positive identification of each part under the hood.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.