Tail light help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tail light help

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

Tail light help

Problem: All lighting works fine on my Jeep except the taillights/running lights. No clue as to what could be causing it.

Background: The PO supposedly rewired my 81 CJ7 judging by the other things that he did to the Jeep we can assume he didn't know what he was doing. The break lights work fine on both sides, same with turn signals and reverse lights. Iv checked for burnt out bulbs and found none. In both my rear light housings there are three bulbs, one on top that lights up for reverse one in the lower center that lights up for breaking and for the turn signal. Then there is a small one that is located in the middle of the housing off to one side that does not light up. I'm assuming that this is the tail light/running light. Iv briefly looked at the wiring and the connections seem to be pretty good and the the wiring looks undamaged. No fusees are blown or missing as far as I can tell (would be helpful to know which fuse goes to tail lights).

If you guys know of common problems I can check, where things should be wired too, etc. it would be greatly appreciated!

-Knox

KnoxButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Booger1
1981 CJ7 

Start at the drivers side floor board and get in to the wiring harness and see if you can find a hot wire there with the lights on, (use a test light) when you have located a hot wire turn the lights off and make sure this is the taillight wire. Once you have done this go to the back drivers side and up under the body locate where the wiring harness comes out and find the wire in there and see if it's hot and so and so forth till you find where the problem is. I've had problems where the wires cross over behind the gas tank also. A little time and patience and a test light and you'll more then likely find your problem. Be sure and check the fuse, I think it's labeled T/L.
Booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

Did a ton of wire tracing today and I think iv isolated the problem to the light knob that switched the headlights etc on. I spliced the headlights to the taillight/running lights and works like a charm!
Thanks
-knox
KnoxButler is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.