Tail light/brake light confusion..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tail light/brake light confusion.....

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Skinnyfeet
1979 CJ7 

Tail light/brake light confusion.....

Not that its that hard to do, but my brake lights/tail lights have me totally confused. A couple of days ago all the lights worked fine, then both tail lights quit working (bulbs are good). Today I discovered that one of the brake lights quit as well....sort of. It wasn't working so we turned on the blinker to see if it worked (it did), then stepped on the brake again and this time it worked fine.

Any ideas? If its a short, how exactly do you find it to fix it?

Skinnyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

Check all your grounds first, it usually ends up as that.
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

Also check your brake lamp switch. My switch has a habit of walking backwards so the brake lamps are always on. When it is not doing that it likes to wiggle the connector free so they are then never on. It's a battle that one day I will win.
ACAD_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
thewolff
1986 CJ7 

Had the same problem on my 86 and on a friends 81. Jiggle the turn signal lever. Contacts needed cleaning. Check the wiring diagram. Crazy!
thewolff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.