tach hookup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > tach hookup

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-12-2002, 04:15 PM   #1
KG4PAM

tach hookup

could someone give me some pointers on tach hookup? i just got one and the instructions are a little vague. there are four wires on it, a green for tach signal, a black for ground, a red for ignition 'on' power, and a white for lights. the one i have a question about is the green. according to the instructions, i am to hook it up to the coil? if so, which side (pos or neg)? i have done the TFI upgrade, is hookup still the same? thanks for your help in advance! jairus

KG4PAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2002, 09:37 PM   #2
SamFromCO

It hooks to your coil on the TFI setup but I can't remember which side and it's cold and dark outside. I'm thinking the negative side but since I have a 50-50 chance of being wrong, I probably am. I think that I hooked mine up to the wrong side first and it didn't work so using my tremendous power of deduction I hooked it up to the other side and it did.
SamFromCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2002, 10:58 PM   #3
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, hook up is the same. I can't remember either but I think it is the negative side. I'd do the same as mentioned. Try it, if it doesn't work, change it. Also, you may need to configure your tach for 4 cyl if I remember correctly. Yes, I know, that sounds weird. Trust me, I read it on this board today. If you have the Mopar TFI, your tach needs to be set for 4 cyl. Do a search on Tach. You can read for yourself. HTH
Unread 12-13-2002, 06:49 AM   #4
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

It usually hooks up on the distributor side of the coil.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2002, 09:55 AM   #5
KG4PAM

thanks! i searched 'tach hookup' on google and found how to as well. it looks like the negative side! thanks for your help!
btw, i may have got my acronyms mixed up, but the TFI i was talking about is the ford Thick Film Integrated distributor cap and coil upgrade, not fuel injection. jairus
Unread 12-14-2002, 09:02 PM   #6
KG4PAM

tach works great! thanks for yall's suggestions! jairus

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.