T5 to T176 swap help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T5 to T176 swap help.

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 03-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
jason400
1985 CJ7 

T5 to T176 swap help.

Thinking about swapping out the T-5 5 speed in my 85CJ7 for a T176. I believe I will need new drive shafts, but not sure about anything else. Can someone give me some insight on this? Will I need any adapters, bell housing, cross member change?

By the way, is $450 a good price for a complete working T176. Not sure on mileage. Anything I should look for in the transmission before buying it?

Thanks
Jason

jason400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

I'm getting my part to do the same swap. There are mixed answers on the Bell houseing. Some say they will fix and the extra holes are there to fit the T176. Others say you have to drill new holes and tap them. Them there are some that sat no it will not work at all. Be prepared to hear them all. But most of the comments are the bottom 2 holes match up and you will need to drill 2 new top holes. I'm hope thats the worst case. Now for the drive shaft again you will get different answers. This is due to Jeeps having lift kit or sagging spring. But the T5 is about an 1" or so lonfer then the T176 so the rear shaft may work. As for the front. It may work if you have lift. Sorry those anwser don't really help, but those are things that I have found out looking for the same answers. You will need to replace the sheet metal trans cover. The T5 and T176 shifters are in different locations just enough to make it an issue. You could always cut your to make it fit. The Clutch, pressure plate and all those little parts should be the same so those should work. The skid plate provided it OEM will have the correct holes.
Now on to the Price of the T176. I got mine for $50, The guy wanted it gone. Nothing wrong with it, he put in T18. But from what I see $450 is a normal price. But make sure you get the adpater to attacht the Dana 300. Some guys sell those seperate and are asking $200 for those alone.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
stamp32
1983 CJ7 

The T5/T4 bell housing will work with modification to the upper bolts but a T150 bell housing will bolt up to the T176 with out problem. The driveshafts will need to be shortened (rear) and lengthened (front). Not that big of deal for a competent driveshaft place. Clutch components are all the same as well as crossmember and mount. Like said above you will need a new transmission cover plate and new boots as the shifter is in a different location.

It is a fairly easy swap other than dealing with the weight of the trans and Dana 300. Best thing to purchase is a transmission holder that mounts in to you jack. It will really help out with maneuvering it around.

-Chris
stamp32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Just did the same swap last week...

Cross member will work, uses front 3 holes on frame, and the middle set of holes on the cross member for trans mount.

On my 1983 CJ7 with the 258 (4.2) the bell housing had the correct holes in place. I had to drill and tap all 4 to correct size though.

You will need the adaptor to bolt the T176 to the D300...the one I bought, had it still bolted to the tranny.

You will need the T176 / D300 floor plate, or fab one up yourself.

You will need to correct the wiring pigtail to the transfer case and tranny... I have not done that yet.

I put in a new flywheel, pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing, pilot bushing, urethane tranny mount, urethane torque arm mounts, and seal kits on the tranny and case, while I had it all apart.

Your old flywheel and clutch components will work if they are still in good condition.

Rear shaft will need to be lengthened, and front shortened...another member here spotted a used set for this combo (on a different site), with new Spicer joints...$120.00 shipped. I bought them.

Took the T5 and case out as a single unit...but put them back in 1 at a time...not hard with the floor plate off.
capt205 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
jason400
1985 CJ7 

Thanks. I am still not sure if I should spend the money on the T176 or just rebuild the T5. It works now, just has minor issues, typical wear.

I have another 258 that I am rebuilding, slowly. I may do the swap when I put that motor in.

Thanks
jason400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
wm69

I'd keep driving the T5 and try to find a better deal on a T176. I've picked up two over the years for $200-250 complete with bellhousing and adapter. Just be patient and watch CL and get a deal on one, ideally with shifter plate/ boots, drivelines, and bellhousing and adapter.

I WOULD do the swap though. I bought the T176's I have to swap in for a T5. If you're gonna spend money the T176 makes more sense.

There was a T177 in Siloam Springs OK about a week or two ago for $350 (about an hour from Joplin). Not sure where Savannah is.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

Or if you want a 5 spd and hydraulic clutch you can always go AX15 as well... easy swap, ax15 belhousing will bolt right to your motor, can use your dana 300 still and is a nice strong 5 spd. Same pilot bushing as your t5 and all the clutching will work the same. You'll need a clocking ring to space the 300 back a little but they are $50 on ebay and a yj master cylinder from a 95 yj so it has the threaded line along with a slave cylinder if the ax15 didnt have one. A external slave is ideal. Will be a little more work but is a great setup.

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
jaketr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

on craigslist tulsa area there is a sm460 or whatever its called 4 speed with bellhousing he is asking $150
jaketr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
swap , t176 , t5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.