T5 lube question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T5 lube question

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 02-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #16
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
The T5 in the Jeep is more related to the T176 because they both use gear oil and both have bronze syncros that get killed by the sulfur I believe it is in gear oils with the GL5 rating.

The 'World Class' T5 in the Mustang needs thinner fluid like ATF because it uses nylon syncromesh.
ealier non world class t5's have fiber bonded to steel syncos in the lowers gears and a bronze in 3r,4th and 5th i beleive..the 1985-89 world class has fiber lined syncross in 1234,and bronze only in fith..the 90-93 has a carbon fiber lined synro assembly in some gears and then bronze in others..

the big difference in the needle bearings under the lower gears on the mainshaft..they need the thinner oil..

the jeep or non world class calls for gl5 wich do not have the needle bearings..

dug this up just for the year clarification..http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/349.shtml

"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #17
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Texas, I wasn't trying to be grumpy! But I have found that manufacturers of most aftermarket products don't really go to great lengths when publishing specifications. Regretfully, Lube marketers are among the MOST misleading of the bunch I even looked at a Mitchell Service book and they recommend GL-5 for ALL Jeep manual transmissions in 1986. Obviously that is incorrect since standard GL-5 will ruin the synchronizers in a T-176 rather quickly. I have found it is much better to compare at least 2 or better 3 recommendations before accepting it as factual. Being a certifiable 'old geezer', I steadily come across published information that I KNOW is incorrect due to the fact that I was THERE when it was NEW!!!

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:25 AM   #18
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

I just did a little poking around here and found this...

http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-chart.html

I also have a letter (a PAPER one) from these folks stating that their GL-5 uses a Hypoid Additive that is NOT corrosive to Bronze or Brass and is acceptable for use where GL-4 is specified. That does NOT mean that any GL-5 is acceptable in place of a GL-4.

Also read on this site under 'product description' referring to Brass!

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mtg.aspx

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #19
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashighridin View Post
I just want to clarify that I statements made were not based on faulty information. I don't know a lot, but when I post on the forum I make sure I'm not making statements that would mislead or otherwise cause a misunderstanding with another forum member. The information posted regarding the use of Amsoil in the T5 and other CJ transmission is based on information straight from the company. Here's a link, http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx, scroll down to the application list and it clearly shows that this lubricant is rated for the transmission.

Didn't mean to open up a can of worms with the post, but it has led to an interesting discussion.
I have read here in a fairly recent thread that there is a new high tech GL5 out that won't harm the syncros in the older trannies. I believe it was synthetic also.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #20
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Just for clarification neither of the Amsoil products will harm the brass synchros. The MTF is a 5w-30 and the MTG is a heavier 75w-90. For a reference, I'll use Mike's Jeep, a 1986 CJ7 with a T4, T5 or T176 would use the ligher weight MTF. The MTF is for non E-P applications where the MTG is needed where an extreme pressure GL-4 gear lube is specified, including those where high horsepower/high torque engines and towing or heavy loads increase transmission stress.
Alot of daily drivers are using the lighter weight MTF and are extremely happy with the shifting performance and have not taken hits in the performance/ protection department. The newer 6-speeds have lots of guys talkin about "clunky shifts". I have several jeeps using the MTF in the 6-speeds that are very happy with its all around performance.
I posted the weight differences in the two oils just to help you keep them straight as they have both been discussed. Anyone still unsure or have other questions please ask. -Gabe
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #21
texashighridin
1984 CJ7 

Bruce, no hard feelings. I didn't intend to be so anal in my reply, sorry about that. Yeah, the Syncromesh product description says the same thing about brass syncro compatibility. Either way, it's good to get things like this out in the open for future readers seeking clarification. So I'll get this stuff in sometime this week and I'll be sure to post a short-term/long-term update to let everyone know how it works.

Looks like Gabe beat me to it (barely)
texashighridin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.