T5 lube question - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T5 lube question

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Reply
Unread 02-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
texashighridin
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 96
T5 lube question

So my T5 has started grinding third gear and I initially thought maybe it was low on fluid. So I pulled the fill plug and discovered that when my T5 was rebuilt last March the mechanic put regular gear oil back into the transmission when he was done. I'm guessing around 85W-90, same as the transfer case. I know its bad on these things to use a heavy weight gear oil, so my question is can I drain this out and replace with a synthetic gear oil (synchormax/mesh) and be ok. The Jeep has less than 5,000 miles on the rebuild, I just hope that there hasn't been extensive damage to the syncros caused by the gear oil. I have a t-176 on standby to put in, but I was hoping to get at least a couple more years out of the T5.

texashighridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
MuddyMules
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by texashighridin View Post
So my T5 has started grinding third gear and I initially thought maybe it was low on fluid. So I pulled the fill plug and discovered that when my T5 was rebuilt last March the mechanic put regular gear oil back into the transmission when he was done. I'm guessing around 85W-90, same as the transfer case. I know its bad on these things to use a heavy weight gear oil, so my question is can I drain this out and replace with a synthetic gear oil (synchormax/mesh) and be ok. The Jeep has less than 5,000 miles on the rebuild, I just hope that there hasn't been extensive damage to the syncros caused by the gear oil. I have a t-176 on standby to put in, but I was hoping to get at least a couple more years out of the T5.
I have a T5 as well and the PO had syrup in mine, I think. I drained it and filled it with Pennzoil Synchromesh, let it run for a while, drained it again, filled it with the Pennzoil Synchromesh and it ran fine. Of course the synchromesh is thin and I didn't have to drain it again after that. It all leaked out. So, I pulled the T5, replaced the seals, refilled again and now it seems just fine.
__________________
1984 CJ7 Renegade - 258 4.2L, 5 Speed, 2" BDS YJ Springs with BDS CJ Conversion Kit, Weber 34 DGEC Carburetor, Aluminum Valve Cover, 73 Chevy Blower Motor, Bestop Supertop, Pro Comp XTreme Alloy 1079 Wheels, 33" x 12.5" x 15" BF Goodrich AT KO Tires, Holley Fuel Pressure Regulator and Gauge, Flowmaster 40 Series with Universal Catalytic Converter and 2 1/2" Pipe and still going.....

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index.php/1984[/url]

[B]There is a $10,000.00 CASH REWARD for anyone with information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) that killed my cousin Blake Dickus and his stepmother Chynna Dickus on July 24th, 2006. Please contact the Franklin, Indiana Police Department at [url]http://www.franklin-in.gov/police/[/url] or contact America's Most Wanted at [url]http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=51938[/url][/B]
MuddyMules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
1986cj
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 1,873
I have a 1986cj7 with a t5, second owner and I let the T5 run very low on oil and it shot craps 150 miles from home ( God I was glad I got a cell signal there) I have a long time friend that owns a transmision shop in town and gave me a rebuild T5 and told me the best thing I could do for that transmision was to run the pennzoil full synthetic (not a blend) 10/30 motor oil in it... Been over 2 years now no problems at all, and shifts very, very easy now even below 0 .
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 12,009
If you put the wrong gear oil in, the syncros fail fast. It happened to me.

I put a 'supposedly' compatible with GL3 85W90 gear oil in that was a 'GL5' grade oil. My syncros started failing really soon after. I drained it and put a plain GL3 'semi synthetic' because that is all I could find at the time, in and it has been shifting perfect since. I am up in Canada and don't have cold shifting isues at all, even down to -30 and lower.

The book for my 86 says you can use GL5 to top up the tranny if you have to, but for a refill use something compatible with the syncros like GL3.
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
texashighridin
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 96
Thanks to everyone for the replies, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'm only having problems with 3rd gear grinding (which is notoriously weak on the T5 anyway), I have some Amsoil Synchromesh in the mail and hopefully it'll straighten things out. On an unrelated note, does anyone know what bolts are used for the T176 to the bellhousing and the bellhousing to motor? I lost the one's I pulled with the transmission and I've been searching the net for answers but none thus far. Thanks again and I'll keep yall updated.
texashighridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by texashighridin View Post
Thanks to everyone for the replies, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'm only having problems with 3rd gear grinding (which is notoriously weak on the T5 anyway), I have some Amsoil Synchromesh in the mail and hopefully it'll straighten things out. On an unrelated note, does anyone know what bolts are used for the T176 to the bellhousing and the bellhousing to motor? I lost the one's I pulled with the transmission and I've been searching the net for answers but none thus far. Thanks again and I'll keep yall updated.
You really need to be sure that stuff is GL3 or you are wasting your money and time. Not all syncros are made the same and the ones in the T5 are picky about the GL rating.
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
texashighridin
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 96
I have a family member that distributes this stuff and according to him its rated for use specifically in the T4/T5 and T176. I'll double check with him/them just to make sure, but I think it will work. Thanks for the concern though.
texashighridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
Mr.Crowley
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: nj
Posts: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by texashighridin View Post
I have a family member that distributes this stuff and according to him its rated for use specifically in the T4/T5 and T176. I'll double check with him/them just to make sure, but I think it will work. Thanks for the concern though.
i wouldnt put anything that belongs in a 176 into a t5..t5's need thinner lube..whether be it atf like factory t4-5 in mustangs or a blend of atf and oil..but nothing like what belongs in a 176
__________________
1980 cj7 258 weber,5'' of lift,33'' boggers,lincoln locked,lockright and a snorkle...Khaki Jeep Club member No. 1
1984 cj8 350 on 35's..the wifes
[QUOTE=Me]
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #9
Ridin' Around
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rochester, Illinois
Posts: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by texashighridin View Post
I have a family member that distributes this stuff and according to him its rated for use specifically in the T4/T5 and T176. I'll double check with him/them just to make sure, but I think it will work. Thanks for the concern though.
synchromesh is the good stuff you need, no worries!
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 12,009
Quote:
Buy Amsoil lubricants, 100% American Made Synthetic lubricants reduce our demand for foreign oil.
Since when does Amsoil make 'real' synthetics? I know they have one 'fake' synthetic on the market that is just the cracked petroleum the oil companies when to court to change the definition of 'synthetic' for so they could sell their 'fake' synthetics at a high price.

I believe this also in the only oil Amsoil got certified so it doesn't void new engine warranties also right?

There are very few 'real' synthetics on the market, most are just ultra refined dino oil.
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
HighCountry
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North East Texas, Texas
Posts: 998
The instant RED FLAG up above is where the fellow stated "specifically rated for T4, T5 and T176. Obviously either the person or his source has faulty information.

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 08:38 AM   #12
Ridin' Around
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rochester, Illinois
Posts: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Since when does Amsoil make 'real' synthetics? I know they have one 'fake' synthetic on the market that is just the cracked petroleum the oil companies when to court to change the definition of 'synthetic' for so they could sell their 'fake' synthetics at a high price.

I believe this also in the only oil Amsoil got certified so it doesn't void new engine warranties also right?

There are very few 'real' synthetics on the market, most are just ultra refined dino oil.
Hey, I'm not gonna get too in depth on this link, I was trying to help answer the OP's question. I did not use the term "real" or "fake" in any of my posts. If you would like information about Amsoil's product please PM or Email me. Amsoil uses Group IV which are 100% synthetic base stocks for most of their oils. This as "real" as you can get. The Information you are reffering to is, I believe, about a couple of the Big Oil(Castrol & Exxon/Mobil) companies that had a lawsuit pending (against each other) about the use of Group III base stocks which are less than 100% and the use of the term "Fully Synthetic" on their product not 100% synthetic like Amsoil. This again, has nothing to do with real or fake only the purity level of the base stocks used. I can get you all of the Legal Information you need on Warranties & API certification. As long as the oil you are using meets or exeeds the OEM's specifications, they CANNOT void your Warranty based on a brand or API certification or drain interval for that matter. The API based its original rating system research on conventional oils decades ago and has some hurdles to overcome with Synthetic oils and their certification. You seem like you need some facts to help base your opinions. I will be glad to get you facts and you then can make educated decisions.

I am not here making any outlandish claims or "as seen on TV" offers. Like I said I was just answering the OP's question like the rest of you. I am not pushing Amsoil in the Forums. I am a dealer, I do not hide that. I sell lots of Amsoil through other channels and spend most of my time here as a hobby Jeep lover like everybody else. If You need Facts on Synthetic oils and the superior protection they provide versus conventional oils, call me. My cell # is 217/306-7882. I would be glad to speak to you and give you facts so you can make your own decision.
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #13
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Around View Post
companies that had a lawsuit pending (against each other) about the use of Group III base stocks which are less than 100% and the use of the term "Fully Synthetic" on their product not 100% synthetic like Amsoil.
Ya, that gave all synthetics a really bad name around here. The end result as I have read is all the companies can now use 'that' definition so what is 'called' synthetic isn't really, just more refined. The 100% moniker is a good thing.

The last gear oil I bought for my T5 called itself 'semi-synthetic' GL3 gear oil. Works really well.
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 09:22 AM   #14
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crowley View Post
i wouldnt put anything that belongs in a 176 into a t5..t5's need thinner lube..whether be it atf like factory t4-5 in mustangs or a blend of atf and oil..but nothing like what belongs in a 176
The T5 in the Jeep is more related to the T176 because they both use gear oil and both have bronze syncros that get killed by the sulfur I believe it is in gear oils with the GL5 rating.

The 'World Class' T5 in the Mustang needs thinner fluid like ATF because it uses nylon syncromesh.
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #15
texashighridin
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCountry View Post
The instant RED FLAG up above is where the fellow stated "specifically rated for T4, T5 and T176. Obviously either the person or his source has faulty information.

Bruce
I just want to clarify that I statements made were not based on faulty information. I don't know a lot, but when I post on the forum I make sure I'm not making statements that would mislead or otherwise cause a misunderstanding with another forum member. The information posted regarding the use of Amsoil in the T5 and other CJ transmission is based on information straight from the company. Here's a link, http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx, scroll down to the application list and it clearly shows that this lubricant is rated for the transmission.

Didn't mean to open up a can of worms with the post, but it has led to an interesting discussion.
texashighridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.