T5 grenaded after fluid change, planing stages of tranny swap with several options - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T5 grenaded after fluid change, planing stages of tranny swap with several options

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #16
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
You will also have to change the lengths of both of your driveshafts.
This swap is well worth the cost!
LG
I was hoping to run my original shafts. The T5 is 15.25", the SM465 + Novak adapter is 15.20" so the .05" shouldn't cause me any issues since the PO lifted my Jeep without addressing anything like tie rods, brake lines, or shaft length...

Fletchlives85CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #17
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Hope your 'rite'.
LG
Unread 03-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #18
Booger1
1981 CJ7 

I went with a NP 435 and I love it, with that being said I think you'll really like the SM 465 heavy truck type tranny. And your worries are over. I'll not bash T-4's or T-5's as I've had both and they have served me well. But the are a little light and if your ever planning on very large tires and doing any serious wheeling they just wont hold up. I'm sure there's the exception to the rules out there all day long. Novak adapters are expensive but like most things that are, their worth it. Great tech support to go along with it.
Booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #19
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
I helped a gent finish up the mustang swap and it worked quite well. He spent a lot trying to jury rig a cable clutch linkage that just didn't have the travel so I went back to the stock CJ linkage and just moved the bottom ear of the bell crank from the bottom pushing position to the top of the bell crank to make it pull on the rod like the Mustang T5 needs. The clutch fork moves the opposite was on the new T5.
My Mustangs (1985-1986) had a "Clutch quadrant" like a pulley with increasing/or decreasing leverage as you go through the pedal stroke. I replaced mine with an adjustable kit from "Maximum Motorsport" it is an adjustable pair of treaded sleeves that you simply crank in/out cable tension at the firewall from the engine bay, pretty sweet setup..
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #20
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger1 View Post
I went with a NP 435 and I love it, with that being said I think you'll really like the SM 465 heavy truck type tranny. And your worries are over. I'll not bash T-4's or T-5's as I've had both and they have served me well. But the are a little light and if your ever planning on very large tires and doing any serious wheeling they just wont hold up. I'm sure there's the exception to the rules out there all day long. Novak adapters are expensive but like most things that are, their worth it. Great tech support to go along with it.
I agree, the T4/5 may be fine for a lot of people out there, but I do intend to wheel this thing occasionally, as well as use it for DD duty. So reliability is a huge factor, as well as cost. I figure a decent rebuilt T5, with shipping would cost me about as much as swapping in my already gone through SM465 from my old trail truck...plus it has wheeling heritage with me...
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #21
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Hope your 'rite'.
LG
Me too! Oh BTW you were correct, the manual says that GL5 was approved (1983) ONLY for topping off between servicing...and the nonexistent mystery stink sauce is the only approved gear lube for fluid changes. The cave man in me didn't read past "GL5 is approved for..."
Unread 03-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #22
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Called Novak, and they now make a bearing retainer for the SM 465 that fits the 4.2L bell housing, so that eliminates the need for machine work, just have to drill, and tap for SM465 bolt pattern, and get the adapter, pilot bushing, and main shaft, or spud shaft to mate the SM465 to the factory Dana 300 T-Case. That all cost me ~$700 shipped. Now all I need is a clutch, and flywheel resurfacing. Pretty excited to get this all put together.
Unread 03-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #23
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Be sure to post some pics.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #24
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Okay, it has been a while, but here is my update. due to several issues I will be doing this entire upgrade in the parking lot at my work. The down side is that it is a secure facility, and there are no camera's allowed in. I removed the Trans, and T-cases from my Jeep, as well as the donor (1979 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 "Vanilla Gorilla"). I ordered an adapter kit from Novak, I opted to swap the input shaft to the T-case since it has 190k miles, and will drill and tap my bell house for my tranny pattern, the modified SM 465 bearing retainer will take care of the rest. I also bought a new clutch / pressure plate / throwout bearing, and had my flywheel resurfaced locally. I am mildly concerned about re-using the hardware for the Flywheel, and pressure plate, but everyone seems to think the old stuff will be fine...any input here?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.