T5 grenaded after fluid change, planing stages of tranny swap with several options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T5 grenaded after fluid change, planing stages of tranny swap with several options

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 02-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

T5 grenaded after fluid change, planing stages of tranny swap with several options

My new to me Jeep was low on trans fluid, so I drained, and filled it with GL4-5 compatable oil per my FSM (FRIGGIN service manual). It exploded after a few weeks. I have an old trail truck with an SM465 in it, and am planning to swap that in its place via a Novak kit. I also have a 1986 Mustang with a good motor that also has a T5...looking for a reliable fun rig that will be a daily driver with mild trail use. Also have a 1969 GMC 2wd pickup with an SM420...trying to weigh the pro's, and cons here. any advice from anybody experienced with any of these swap options is appreciated. Cost is a very big issue, looking for the best bang for the buck. Hotrod Jeep is cool, but I like my 4.2L also...

Fletchlives85CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

No gl4/5 is recommended for the T4/5 tranny used in Jeeps.
What oil did you use?
Best oil for'em is 75w-80 syn gear oil.
The FSM/MR252 only sez to use that special stink oil that AMC sold. So don't blame a 29 yo book......
LG
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

this is what i used after listening to LG and have no issues
6.jpeg

seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 11:51 PM   #4
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I believe that Mustang T5 is quite a bit different than what was in your Jeep. Not saying you couldn't make it work, but it would be far from easy.

If you wanted to drop the whole Ford motor in your Jeep, it's not a difficult swap (there are a couple of good build threads with details). I'm running a '91 5.0 HO with a Ford T18 (plentiful and easy to connect to a SBF motor) with a Novak adapter for the D300. Lots of fun to drive.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

The OP is in CA. so smog would be a PITA.
The 'pony' T5 has a 'taller' first gear than the Jeeps.
Don't know what it would take to mount the t'case.
LG
Unread 03-01-2014, 01:30 AM   #6
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I also have smog requirements (Denver). Just have to pass requirements for a 91 mustang in my case... (easy peasy).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 05:59 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I helped a gent finish up the mustang swap and it worked quite well. He spent a lot trying to jury rig a cable clutch linkage that just didn't have the travel so I went back to the stock CJ linkage and just moved the bottom ear of the bell crank from the bottom pushing position to the top of the bell crank to make it pull on the rod like the Mustang T5 needs. The clutch fork moves the opposite was on the new T5.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
No gl4/5 is recommended for the T4/5 tranny used in Jeeps.
What oil did you use?
Best oil for'em is 75w-80 syn gear oil.
The FSM/MR252 only sez to use that special stink oil that AMC sold. So don't blame a 29 yo book......
LG
My bad, it was a "component service manual" for the t4/5 from AMC (pretty much a factory service manual which I also have). I don't have it here to refer to, I left it a work, but I am certain it called for GL 4, 0r 5 (cant remember specifically) I used Valvoline GL4-5 compatilble non synthetic originally, then changed it to Pennsoil synchromesh oil, it started to come back, but the damage was done.
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
The OP is in CA. so smog would be a PITA.
The 'pony' T5 has a 'taller' first gear than the Jeeps.
Don't know what it would take to mount the t'case.
LG
I think the engine just has to be newer than the vehicle, and retain factory emmisions equipment from the engine donor to pass a smog referee, but yes...still a PITA, and I would be stuck with another T5...is there a way to hang a 5.0L off the SM465? Now that would be a sweet drivetrain!
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

My FSM/MR-252 sez to use the stink oil sold by AMC in the day.
This was after AMC said to use ATF and smoked a bunch of T4&5 trannys and had to replace them on their 'dime'.
When was that manual of yours published?
Can you post a picture of the page that sez to use GL4/5 in the tranny?
It was the spec'd oil for the t'case and axles.
LG
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchlives85CJ View Post
I think the engine just has to be newer than the vehicle, and retain factory emmisions equipment from the engine donor to pass a smog referee, but yes...still a PITA, and I would be stuck with another T5...is there a way to hang a 5.0L off the SM465? Now that would be a sweet drivetrain!
Love my T5 and been run'n it since 1985.
LG
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #12
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieg8 View Post
I believe that Mustang T5 is quite a bit different than what was in your Jeep. Not saying you couldn't make it work, but it would be far from easy.

If you wanted to drop the whole Ford motor in your Jeep, it's not a difficult swap (there are a couple of good build threads with details). I'm running a '91 5.0 HO with a Ford T18 (plentiful and easy to connect to a SBF motor) with a Novak adapter for the D300. Lots of fun to drive.
Unfortunately I am stuck trying to work with what I have, I do have a couple Scout T19's but I understand they are oddballs...and my skill level is mediocre...still thinking the SM465 for the Jeep, maybe I will save the 5.0 for my Scout...when I find my fortunes...
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
My FSM/MR-252 sez to use the stink oil sold by AMC in the day.
This was after AMC said to use ATF and smoked a bunch of T4&5 trannys and had to replace them on their 'dime'.
When was that manual of yours published?
Can you post a picture of the page that sez to use GL4/5 in the tranny?
It was the spec'd oil for the t'case and axles.
LG
I heard a lot of confusion in reguards to the recommended oil, after I tried the wrong stuff...LOL. I will have to get back to you tomorrow on that pub date...my engine one (MOT I-6) is from 1986...
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #14
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

It will cost me approx. $1100 to swap in my SM465, and it looks like a straight foreward deal. The only adventurous part for me will be swapping the main shaft in the T-case which is probably due for a rebuild anyhow...ooops theres more money...
Unread 03-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #15
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

You will also have to change the lengths of both of your driveshafts.
This swap is well worth the cost!
LG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.