T18 Rebuild Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T18 Rebuild Problem

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

T18 Rebuild Problem

Ok, so I'm in the process of rebuilding my T18. Everything was going good until I went to fix the 3rd/ fourth slider (accidentally pulled it off during removal). I took off the snap ring that holds it and the I believe 3rd gear on, rebuilt it, and went to reassemble (literally that fast). Now the problem is, I cannot get that snap ring on again. I didn't change anything, everything is on the correct way, just I need about .5-1mm more to get the snap ring back on. I can't get the new or old one on. I have no idea why. Am I missing something or what?

No_Bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

I had this problem during reassembly, too. Need to look through my notes to remember how I solved it. I think maybe it had something to do with the synchro.
Unread 07-22-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

Thanks, I would really appreciate it. I realize the three detent plates have to sit right in the syncro grooves, and they are, so hopefully that was not your problem. Oh, and I'm using the same syncro that came off.
Unread 07-22-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Refresh my memory: are these the three detents that have the "dogs" that ride on spring-loaded poppet balls? If so, there is a trick to putting them back. The binder guys have it figured out. Going to do some digging. Wait one.

If the cluster was in front of me I could probably remember right off hand what was wrong, but trying to visualize it is a different story. I know it took me a good bit of cussing and head scratching to put it back.
Unread 07-22-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

Wow, I'm almost embarassed to say this, but I figured it out. The book I was using (The CJ Rebuilders manual) was telling me to install the "raised part of the hub forward", which is in fact, the wrong way. I flipped it and got the clip right on. Sorry about that. Thanks alot for your quick help anyway jayhawk.
Unread 07-22-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Ummm... Don't tell anyone, but I was logging back in to tell you that is what I did, too, and to see if you had it backward. I actually typed that above the first time I responded, but deleted it because I wanted to check my notes first.

As an aside, here is the manual I ended up using:
http://trailforge.com/TSM/Section_06.pdf

I also ended up having a hard time with the poppet balls and shift plates, and page 9 and 10 really helped me out putting it back together; no other manuals I was using (had Hayne's, Ludel, an internet source, and a library pub all spread out on the bench) had that crucial info about reassembly.
Unread 07-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

Ok, another day another question. I have an older version case of the T18 (pre 79, no buldge). I'm rebuilding the top cover shift rails and such since they are rusty. Heres the question, The reverse switch located on the back of the trans, behind the reverse shift rail has a push in cast housing that it threads into, what is that called and where can I find a new one? The spring in mine is shot, at least i think their is supposed to be a spring in there. ...
Unread 07-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
cromd

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Bs
The spring in mine is shot, at least i think their is supposed to be a spring in there. ...

Does this cause you to hit reverse when attempting to go into 3rd. Mine does the same thing. If there is an easy fix I would like to know it.
cromd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

Ok, another question, how can I reuse the stock cast iron shift forks? The plastic coating on them is like heat shrunk on, and its shot. regular pads like on aluminum forks don't work, is their something that can be used to re-coat them?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.