T176 Transmission Issues... would like your input - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T176 Transmission Issues... would like your input

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 06-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Chipmunk222

1979 CJ7 

T176 Transmission Issues... would like your input

1980 CJ5 with a 304 and T176 transmission, purchased 1 week ago. Last owner said he had just changed the clutch, we drove it, it shifted ok, although it was a little hard to get into gear. He said it needed the shifter repair kit and it was a common problem. Took it off the trailer at home and it got stuck in 3rd gear, had to take out the shifter and line up the gates to get it to move. Found some wear in the shift forks, shifter and lugs, so we purchased new shift forks, lugs, pins, shifter and repair kit. Installed everything, and finally got it all lined back up and the shift tower back in place and it was a little difficult at first to get it to shift, but it was going through all the gears sitting still. So my husband took it for a short neighborhood trip and made it about a mile before it all went haywire, he went to shift from 1st to 2nd on the way back home and it wouldn't go in 2nd... got stuck in neutral and will not come back out.... ugh... I have no idea where to look next and have no experience with this transmission (other than working on it for a week now).... what should I be looking for? the gears don't seem to be chewed up, when the cover is off, it seems to move ok (nothing seems to be stuck)... and I also have no idea if the previous owner knew anything about installing a clutch... can this be part of my problem? I would like to be able to make it a mile without the shifter getting hung.... I'm exasperated.... help please

Chipmunk222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Is there any pedal movement in the clutch before it starts to release the clutch? Use your index finger, and push the pedal. How far can you move it? If you can move it more than an inch and a half, you may have to adjust the clutch a bit to allow it to release fully.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Chipmunk222

1979 CJ7 

Um, Yeah, mine moves about 3-4 inches, think we will try adjusting it a bit to see if that helps, fingers crossed, thanks will check back in with the results.

But as the female side of my over-thinking brain kicks in....( i'm sure all the guys understand lol)... why would the jeep start out shifting fine and then after driving a few minutes, refuse to return into gear again, if the clutch was the problem wouldn't it be that way ALL the time ? (Ignore me if that was a stupid question)
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Chipmunk222

1979 CJ7 

Ok, so after some readjustment of the clutch .... nothing changed...

I remembered a post where someone had purchased a shift fork that the drilled hole for the roll pin was slightly off.... when we received our new parts I noticed that ours also had this issue and we had difficulty getting the roll pin installed.... fed up with whatever is wrong with the shifting problem, I changed out the #1-2 shift fork again and now we are shifting again. Yay, so far so good!
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Chipmunk222

1979 CJ7 

update

Update:

Our problem seems to be solved with the changing of the shift fork, shifting is good now, and the company refunded our money on the incorrectly drilled shift fork with no issues.... driving for several weeks now with no problems.

Now, to figure out why we go from running to not running and when the jeep stops running the fan is cutting on...lol

1979 CJ7 AMC 360*T150 3 speed/Dana 20*Moser 1 piece axles*Edlebrock intake manifold/carb*Cooper Stt 35x12.50x15 tires* Black Keystone Wheels*MSD cap, rotor, wires*Rusty's HD Tie Rod and Drag link* Goferit tie rod reversal* Borgeson steering shaft* Sams HD steering box bracket*Tire Carrier Bumper*Skyjacker Nitro N8000 shocks*Mountain Offroad Heavy duty 4 inch shackles* 12,000 lb Badlands Winch with wireless remote*

1980 CJ5, AMC 304
1988 YJ, 258

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.