T176 tranny problems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T176 tranny problems

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-18-2013, 05:30 AM   #16
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post

Good thought but I don't think you can weld on new material. You just have to get new shift rods. Unless you mean the end of the shifter.
Usually the end of the shifter is what wears first.
I've done it that way before. I have a welding shop 2 doors down from my shop, and I had them fill the worn area with their MIG & then I carefully shaped the grooves in the ball area of the shifter with a cutoff disc. I polished it all smooth with emery cloth to finish the job.

The tip on the one I recently rebuilt was in pretty good shape, but that's not usually the case, just as you mentioned.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
Tigerpaw
1981 CJ8 

T177 that also needs rebuild any step by step instructions

Quote:
Good thought but I don't think you can weld on new material. You just have to get new shift rods. Unless you mean the end of the shifter.
Usually the end of the shifter is what wears first.
I have seen rebuilds that included replacing transmissions and rebuilding but no step by step beginning to end with the tranny on a bench. I'm looking for something that might have each step of the tranny rebuild only with pics. Example, using the lock ring pliers to remove etc, etc, etc.

Not trying to highjack tread but have the same issue.
Tigerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
If you think they are only braking devises, your missing half of the job they do.
John, what I meant was that the brass synchro rings act as friction/braking device to bring the respective gear up to speed with the main shaft. Worn synchro rings will not by themselves cause a transmission to jump out of gear. Worn synchro teeth on the gear or shift collar? yes, they could cause a gear to jump out.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
jfallon1
1980 CJ7 

I also read that poor motor mounts and tranny mounts could cause it to jump out as well. Has anyone had past experiences with that being the problem?
jfallon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #20
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfallon1 View Post
I also read that poor motor mounts and tranny mounts could cause it to jump out as well. Has anyone had past experiences with that being the problem?
Only if the are broken and the shifter is knocking on the tub from it bouncing around so much.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #21
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
While looking at your pic, I happened to notice that your output shaft splines appear to be a bit worn. You might take a look at them.

I just noticed the same thing. They look paper thin to me. Look at this starting at post #59

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/st...12/index4.html

You can see the difference between new and old splines.
S76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.