T176 stuck in reverse, sorta. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-20-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

T176 stuck in reverse, sorta.

Okay so after all this work with the swap I decided today, in honor of man landing on the moon, I would declare my swap done. The jeep starts, all the lights work, holds all it's fluids; things are groovy. Except...

For what ever reason the T176 is stuck in reverse. So I quickly searched around here for information about it and learned how to pop the shifter out and manually move the shift levers. Okay, so far so good, I have everything in what appears to be neutral and yet it is still stuck in reverse. Don't belive me?

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/5...0907202114.jpg

The shift levers for 1/2 & 3/4 are all where they belong. I assume reverse is where it belongs. It has some forward motion which corresponds to shifter going to reverse. It is only a small amount compared to the others. Is this normal for reverse to have a very short engagement?

What are some of the things I might need to prepare myself for? Will I have to take the top cover off? Will I need the witchdoctor? Human Sacrifice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Elkhound
1985 CJ7 

It sounds to me like a simular problem that I had with my t176. I went through my shifter put in a new pin, spring, and re-tainer. and it didn't fix anything. I then found that I had a cracked shifter tower so I went on a search and after tons of headache I found one it cost 150.00. I put it in with my new pins, springs, retainer and still didn't fix my problem. So I took off my shifter tower wnd found that I had worn the brass shifter forks. I looked all over and for the price of new I bought a donor tranny and used the shifter forks out of it. What happens is the forks get so worn the will slip out of the grooves in the slides that shift your tranny. To get it back into gear you have to take the shifter tower off. To do this you put the tranny in nuteral. but in most cases it wont go into nuteral so you have to work at it to get the tower off. When you get the tower off you will see your shifter forks check them for wear but remember they can also bend so look for that. If everything seems ok then put them in nuteral. The two larger forks are for the foward gears as is the top cluster of gears in the tranny. The smaller fork that hangs down past the first set of gears is reverse, and below that first set of gears is The reverse gears. you have to now get the tranny in nuteral if you didn't already the slides will slide and dissengage from the gear. make sure they line up where the forks do on your shifter tower. Once you get the two forward slides right you have to reach into the tranny and line up the reverse slide. Your tower should slide in now like a glove and all bolt holes should line up. If you have to force it or your bolt holes don't line up then somethings wrong. If you use the search on here you can find some threads on the t176 and they will have pics and better directions. I have gotten so good at doing this I can do it in 20-30min. I have since bought a donor t176 and had a tranny guy I know swap the good parts out of the two and made one good one and the guy charged me 70.00. This is a pain in the a-- problem and it was hard for me to find info on I went through a process of elimination that was kind of spendy but still cheaper thant the 600.00 plus a shop wants. Plus I spent alot of time not being able to drive my cj. Which is never good. Hope this helps I'll bet there is someone who will post pics or a link for you . Because I am new here and not sure how to do all that.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-20-2009, 11:59 PM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

i have a spare t176 sitting here-- anyone interested? and i learned the hard way about using a big screw driver to reallign the shift pins-- happened on a snow run, at night and oops! its stuck in 1st gear?!!! drove home in 1st gear and only later learned about the screwdriver trick.

good luck

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

This is what I was afraid of. So from my reading of the situation, it is only partialy engaging reverse when it should be in neutral. If I select a forward gear, it will move forward but that's just not good enough for me because I know if I shift through neutral it'll double up and detonate.

If anyone has some good pictures of what I should expect to find and where I may need to fiddle around, that would be great.

Blueprints would be even better, build a working 3d model from them. But that's just crazy talk.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 PM
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
i have a spare t176 sitting here-- anyone interested? and i learned the hard way about using a big screw driver to reallign the shift pins-- happened on a snow run, at night and oops! its stuck in 1st gear?!!! drove home in 1st gear and only later learned about the screwdriver trick.

good luck
2x's on screwdriver trick. Had this happen with one I had all the time. Did it so often that I stopped putting the screws back into the shift boot.
To the OP if you end up needing another tranny there is a guy in Kingston near you that's got a "Jeep farm" with tons of parts and Jeeps. PM me if you need a number. Goodluck.

Seems like everyday is a Monday.

77' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
post #6 of 8 Old 07-21-2009, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

Yeah I've spoken to Terry and while he sounds like a nice guy, he wanted 500 for an SR4.

My plan is to pop the cover off and see what's what on the inside. This tranny was running just fine before I had to pop the shifter off for the swap so I have no reason to doubt the function of it. It's just being cranky.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-21-2009, 03:46 PM
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAD_Cowboy View Post
Yeah I've spoken to Terry and while he sounds like a nice guy, he wanted 500 for an SR4.
I don't blame you. I think he has his prices a bit high for some things. While other times he's not high on his prices. Nice to see another forum memeber close by all the same though. Goodluck.

Seems like everyday is a Monday.

77' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
post #8 of 8 Old 07-21-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

Que the steaks and beer! We have victory. I popped the cover off and wouldn't you know it, the reverse cluster was sitting half way between the two syncro sets and exactly a fork width away. A quick call to the PO later confirms it. Seems the best way to remove a shifter would not be to partially pull the cover off then quickly put it back on. DOH!

Anyway, things are groovy now which means I can finally tackle the very last task, one 25" cherry bomb and a down turn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.