t176 shift rail interlock springs no longer available - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > t176 shift rail interlock springs no longer available

Trailing Arms!JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
glautrey1
1981 CJ7 

I am currently building my cj7 from ground up. my t176 operates smoothly, but it used to pop out of 1st before the rebuild. while rebuilding engine (currently in progress) I decided to go over transmission to fix popping out of first. there are three springs in the cover that push on 3 ball bearings that lock the shift rails in place, the first/second one is worn out. I replaced the rail and the balls are available, but the springs are no longer available.

I was looking at a breakdown of a Dana 300 and noticed it has the same shift locking ball bearings as the T176 and was wondering if the Dana 300 springs would work or if close. I have called all places and Crown and the T176 ones are discontinued???

I was also thinking about swapping out the reverse and first/second springs and putting washers in housing to tighten up, but really hope dana 300 springs are a fit.

Last edited by glautrey1; 03-12-2014 at 06:19 PM..
glautrey1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
glautrey1
1981 CJ7 

Same diameter and height

the dana 300 ones are the same diameter and height as the t176 ones, they are available and are made of the same diameter spring steel as the t176 ones. I will just try them, I bought some for my dana 300 that just came in and got to compare them. they are available at Morris 4x4 and quadratec under the dana 300.
Unread 03-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
agear
1984 CJ7 

Cool thsnks. Follow up how they work
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2014, 04:45 AM   #4
glautrey1
1981 CJ7 

I used the Dana 300 springs and everything works, it all seems really tight now, but I did change shift housing, all rails, retainer plates, springs (dana 300) and balls in the housing. It is probably like new, all old stuff was worn from 30+ years
Unread 03-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
agear
1984 CJ7 

Cool,, I appreciate you taking the time to follow up
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dana 300 , shifter cover plate , t176 , tranny problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.