T176 Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T176 Removal

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 05-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

T176 Removal

Hey guys, picking up a new T176 tomorrow to replace mine while I attempt to rebuild it. I cant seem to find any good threads on the steps of removing the transmission. It will be a 1 man job so I will want to do it separately from the transfer case. I am guessing I need to removing the Dana 300 first? Do i need to unhook the drive shafts to get it out? I don't know where to start.

Can someone either:

A) Direct me to a thorough step by step thread about removing the T176 from the jeep.

-or-

B) Run me through the necessary steps, tools needed, difficulty level etc.

Any help is appreciated..

smitty010203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Remove driveshafts, support skid plate and transmission, remove skid plate bolts, remove skid plate, unbolt linkage and take a picture to get it back on right, remove wiring, vent hoses, now support the TC and remove the bolts (It's Heavy), and carefully set it on the ground
Unhook battery, remove starter, remove shifter/shifter cover plate/rubber boots, unhook clutch linkage, unbolt bellhousing or unbolt gear box from the bellhousing, lower transmission, replace clutch/pressure plate and throwout bearing. Get flywheel checked and machined. It's been a few years since I did my last 176, but thats the down and dirty version. Get a helper and get the Jeep up pretty high as well.
I rebuilt my 176 in the spare bedroom in our apartment years ago and the wife still knows just how bad old gear oil smells. Something she'll never forget.
Standard tools and get a manual or look on line for the torque spec along with floor jacks, jack stands, breaker bar and a good friend with a lift.
Good luck and it's time consuming but not that difficult and lining it back up is tricky. Much easier with 2 guys unless your wife or GF can handle it.
idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
jeepwhore
Lucky S.O.B.

1984 CJ7 

My preferred order of operations is similar.

#1- CHOCK YOUR WHEELS AND SET THE E-BRAKE!!
-disconnect the battery, remove driveshafts, starter, clutch linkage, trans tunnel cover, trans and tcase sticks, reverse wiring plug
-remove the bolts and nuts from the trans mount and torque arm (note: these are the bolts sticking through the bottom of the skid, not the bolts securing the skid to the frame)
-place a jack under the tcase rear output and raise the jack so the trans mount comes off the skid about half an inch
-place blocking under the engine oil pan as tight to the pan as possible
-remove the skid
-place blocking or second jack under the trans
-lower the jack under the tcase rear output so that the weight is being supported by the trans
-remove the tcase mounting hardware and remove the tcase (it's awkward and heavy so either use a jack to support it or get a buddy to help
-remove bellhousing bolts and pull trans (again its awkward so either strap it to a jack, get a buddy or run a board across the door openings and use a large ratchet strap through the tunnel cover opening)
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
orange80cj7
1980 CJ7 

Both of the above ways will work, I had to pull my t176 twice this year and it is definitely a good idea to have someone to help you!
orange80cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

This project will no longer be happening this weekend haha.. Thanks for the info guys, didn't realize it involved that much disassembly. Ill have to wait till I get an extra set of hands. I just couldn't bare the though of having my jeep out of commission for more than a couple days! guess its something I need to learn to get used to though. (first jeep, only had it a couple months)
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Please Explain why?

-disconnect the battery, remove driveshafts, starter, clutch linkage, trans tunnel cover,

Ok guys, believe it or not I ran into some questions. Got the driveshafts, tcase, and transmission shift cover removed... So all i have left is the transmission. Just looking at it made it seem like you could just unbolt it from the bell housing. However, you guys tell me to unhook the starter and clutch assembly.

Can you explain why the clutch parts and the starter? Is it spring loaded up inside the transmission? Will I need a special tool to get it back on later?

I don't the doubt wisdom of a more experienced jeeper. I work better if I understand how something operates, especially if Im taking it apart.

Also, replacing the clutch pressure plate, throwout bearing, and remachining a flywheel?? is this something that would be smart to do while its all apart? What does something like that cost?
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

If you are just removing the tranny, You can leave the clutch and starter alone.

If you are going to go further and replace the clutch then yeah remove that stuff first.

Quote:
Also, replacing the clutch pressure plate, throwout bearing, and remachining a flywheel?? is this something that would be smart to do while its all apart? What does something like that cost?
Do you want to do all this work and then find out you have to do it again? Yes, this will be a good time to replace all this stuff.

Prices Very. Around $200 in parts + cost of refinishing flywheel.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Thanks John, is replacing those parts something I could do myself? (apart from refinished the flywheel). I am mechanically inclined yes, however this is all new to me. how about special tools?

Any do's and don'ts are appreciated at this point.

I was already planning on replacing the driveshaft ujoints. anything else in that area I should get done while there out also?

Thanks,
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes, you can do that all yourself.
Get a flywheel lock and new flywheel and pressure plate bolts. never know what the PO did...
Blue locktite also.
Torque wrench
Clutch guide tool, usually comes with the new clutch
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #10
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Will do. John you seem to know about the t176 so tickle me this/
I just bought a used T176 from a guy to replace mine while I rebuilt it, he said it came from a 1980 cj.
It looks just like mine except the reverse wiring hookup is located on the opposite side of the shifter boot, and the 2 dowel cover bolts are in different locations, also the gear where one of the forks ride looks different on his, more square on the edges than mine (rounded). Those are the only differences I know of right now. Is there more to that than I realize? or should this be no problem?

FYI: Before I started removal of the tranny I put his cover assembly on mine and the gearing wouldnt work right. Wouldnt shift into gears correctly. 2nd gear would move as would reverse. but 1st would stall out. Didnt drive it 2 feet though.
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well I heard there was an upgraded top cover on the T-17X there were also 3 trannies in this range. T-176, t-177 t-178.
best to check the numbers stamped on the side.

Also check the length of the input shaft.... Some were extended to use on some trucks.
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Ok. Ill need to check the numbers on the side of the case however I have checked the numbers on the top cover on both and they match. I was thinking the T177 was for the trucks and had the granny gear. Ill report back later on with my findings. thanks for the help
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

i'm running a T177 on my CJ7/258. It is geared lower than a T176 but not what i'd call a granny gear. Go to Novak.com to read about the different transmissions and how to identify them.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yeah, not a granny gear. Not even as low as 1st in a SR-4 but lower than a t-176.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.