t176 overheating, loss of power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > t176 overheating, loss of power

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 08-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
90lsturbo
scratches add character..

1984 CJ7 

t176 overheating, loss of power

So I been dd the cj mostly the whole summer as of last week it loses power in the transmission. I feel Like its overheating, so for those running trans coolers, what the Best option, route, fan, etc, some of you ran so I can get a idea as to wtf is going on

1984 cj7- new rig and no rust lol

#89 UJC
"Real men dont let their friends drive prius's"
90lsturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
dechlin
1980 CJ7 

usually a trans cooler is for an automatic. There is no pump in a manual trans
dechlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lsturbo
So I been dd the cj mostly the whole summer as of last week it loses power in the transmission. I feel Like its overheating, so for those running trans coolers, what the Best option, route, fan, etc, some of you ran so I can get a idea as to wtf is going on
I would suspect the clutch is on it's way out. Does the transmission shudder when you take off from a stop?
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #4
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Any slipping in the higher gears? What fluid are you using? Any noises?
Unread 08-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
90lsturbo

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post

I would suspect the clutch is on it's way out. Does the transmission shudder when you take off from a stop?
Oddly no it doesnt

#89 UJC
Unread 08-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
90lsturbo

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200 View Post
Any slipping in the higher gears? What fluid are you using? Any noises?
No slipping at all, just a loss of power after a short drive on the freeway doing 60 as far as fluid just standard atf from what I can tell. I did notice it could use a service by color of it. Its fine otherwise around town and what not so I find it odd its getting that hot

#89 UJC
Unread 08-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lsturbo View Post

No slipping at all, just a loss.of power after a hard push.on the freeway doing 60 as far as fluid just standard atf from what I can tell.
Well that at least says it is an automatic. ;-). Have you checked the fluid level? Likely running, hot, level and either in neutral or park, the stick will say.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
90lsturbo

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post

Well that at least says it is an automatic. ;-). Have you checked the fluid level?
4 speed bro ;-)fill plug on side by tcase shifter, drain is dead center bottom...but yes I checked it this morning and it was full. I bought.some Lucas trans stuff and added 1/4 the bottle into it, will add the rest from.the top thru the shifter housing tomorrow at work and see if that helps. Also how can one run a temp gauge off to see if it really is getting hot?

#89 UJC
Unread 08-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
jcalhoon84
1980 CJ5 

If it's a t176 you should be running gear oil gl-4 80-90w.
jcalhoon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #10
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalhoon84 View Post
If it's a t176 you should be running gear oil gl-4 80-90w.
And there is no way for power to "slip". Its a gear driven trans......either it transmits power to the rear or it doesn't. If it was something in between it would be making all kinds of nasty sounds. Hence why I think its a clutch problem. If the clutch doesn't shudder it could be past that point and the friction material is gone completely.

The other option could be a partially spun rear axle shaft.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
Unread 08-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Just to clarify, when you say a loss of power are you saying you can maintain the same rpms but the jeep won't hold it's speed? Or is the engine losing oomph? I'm beginning to suspect it's not a trans issue and maybe related to fuel delivery or engine temps if you pushed it harder than normal on the freeway.

Unread 08-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #12
90lsturbo

1984 CJ7 

Quote:

And there is no way for power to "slip". Its a gear driven trans......either it transmits power to the rear or it doesn't. If it was something in between it would be making all kinds of nasty sounds. Hence why I think its a clutch problem. If the clutch doesn't shudder it could be past that point and the friction material is gone completely.

The other option could be a partially spun rear axle shaft.
No weird sound, I rebuilt/twinned sticked the d300 in her earlier this year after a u joint broke at the input shaft last winter I haven't fixed the trans tunnel for the mod so there is a open hole of sorts lol but you can feel a blast of hot air and that's when it loses acceleration,power, etc. I can stop on the side of the road for a few and continue on like nothing happened..if it spun.a shaft I don't think the rear locker would be engaged and spinning both wheels like it does now

#89 UJC
Unread 08-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #13
90lsturbo

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Just to clarify, when you say a loss of power are you saying you can maintain the same rpms but the jeep won't hold it's speed? Or is the engine losing oomph? I'm beginning to suspect it's not a trans issue and maybe related to fuel delivery or engine temps if you pushed it harder than normal on the freeway.
Motor itself does not overheat. I watch and maintain that on consistent basis it loses acceleration like you have no power at all with it floored. After initial loss I can pull over for a bit and move on like nothing happened.....so??????? I'm lost on wtf it's doing

#89 UJC
Unread 08-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #14
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Ok, not the rear axle then. My trans tunnel cover wasn't screwed down all the way and I had hot air blowing in as well....that may not be a symptom. But I think you can be fairly certain the issue is not in the transmission itself. If the engine doesn't sputter or buck and revs still increase when you floor it but it doesn't accelerate like it should then I would concentrate on the clutch. If there is very little friction material left it may work fine for a short period until it gets heated up.

Unread 08-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #15
90lsturbo

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Ok, not the rear axle then. My trans tunnel cover wasn't screwed down all the way and I had hot air blowing in as well....that may not be a symptom. But I think you can be fairly certain the issue is not in the transmission itself. If the engine doesn't sputter or buck and it still runs fine when it acts up I'd concentrate on the clutch. If there is very little friction material left it may work fine for a short period until it gets heated up.
Hmmmmm interesting It doesn't do the typical indication of if slipping to let you know the clutch is going out upon initial startup

#89 UJC

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.