Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

T176 hard to get into 2nd gear.

9K views 85 replies 9 participants last post by  agear 
#1 ·
It's hard to get my t176 into 2nd gear. You might describe it as feeling very tight putting it in 2nd gear. I don't think it's synchronizers because it is a recent rebuild. My mechanic friend believes its in the shift tower ,where the shift rails and forks attatch. I hope so ,because rebuilding the shift tower doesn't require me removing the tranny from the vehicle. Anybody know what is causing this ?

#2 ·
It only seems to do it when moving. So my b.i.l. was thinking synchronizer but I also had it get stuck in gear so he was also thinking shift tower parts(shift rails etc.). So basically I still don't know what it is. Looks like I might be taking the tranny out during winter vacation.

#3 ·
I would start by taking the tower off and take a few pics of the shift forks and the gears. Then you can post those here so maybe someone can spot something that doesn't look right.

I had a similar situation with my 176 and it was the 3-4 synchro plates. They were worn and popped halfway out of the assembly causing it to stick in third gear. It was very hard to shift out of that, (to the point of feeling like I was going to bust something), and I had to remove the tower to push them back into place. After doing that, if I wasn't driving, it would shift just fine, but as soon as I had it running and shifted they popped out again. It took a rebuild to keep it from doing that again, but the plates can also be bought and replaced individually. You said it had a recent rebuild so I would think those would have been replaced and it doesn't sound exactly like your situation, but something to check. The plates are #17 on the diagram here:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-transmission-parts/tremec-t176-t177.htm

#4 ·
Hmmm . those plates are supposed to stay laying flat when you slide the collar/synchronizer hub assembly ?

#5 ·
That's correct. My 3-4 pack had one of the three plates popping out halfway jamming the trans in 3rd gear. Depending on how its sitting, you should be able to see 2 of the three plates to see if they are flush in the pack. You can run your hand under the pack to feel if that 3rd one is popped out.

#6 ·
hmm.I wonder if you can push the collar too far causing a plate to pop up in that case too........?

#8 ·
Yeah, it only happens when I'm movin............ It's fine when stationary. It only does it in 2nd , so that wouldn't be a lube problem ,right ?

#10 ·
Im using amsoil synthetic 80-90..... gl-5

#12 ·
I've read that because Gl-5 lubes are formulated for LS diffs, some are too slippery for some manual transmissions. Manual transmission synchronizers require a certain amount of friction to work properly. You probably paid a decent price for that Amsoil synthetic lube but if I had your problem, I would try GL-4. For one thing, changing oil is easier than pulling things apart. NAPA carries the Sta Lube brand of GL-4. I just thought I would throw that out there. You make the decision.;)

Edit: Just curious. If you put the transfer case in neutral and run the engine, does the transmission shift normally?

#11 ·
Interesting. Ive had the same problem two days ago. My transmission has become stuck in 2nd gear, so i took the tower off, and tried to push the synch hub out of second, then I saw that one plate is missing, and the other two make the synch hub be stuck.
What could cause that? the synchro ring appeared on a pretty good condition to me.
By the way, it brought me a little desire to simply pull the other two plates out and see what happens :)
Basiclly, the shifter fork will hold the synch hub in gear, no?

#13 ·
Actually got the amsoil for free so no problem with buying more.The tranny is also clunky going into 2nd. Interesting question. Anyway I put the transfercase in neutral and went through the gears. Yes it shifts normally. So what do you think ?

#15 ·
damn. Do you have an assembled t176 or an assembled t176 mainshaft. I want to see if you can check something.

#17 ·
oh. My 2nd gear can slide forward and back 1/16th of an inch. I'm trying to find out if it is supposed to.

#19 ·
I noticed it last time i had tranny out. I took the mainshaft apart and tried to figure it out but couldnt find anything missing. Im gonna take the top cover off next weekend......

#21 ·
hmmm. Yeah that should be less than what I had. I guess the T177 is the same except for the gear tooth count. I just don't want to shim something I'm not supposed to, assuming that is what is causing the difficulty to get into 2nd gear.

#23 ·
I noticed it jumped out of gear once going over a speed bump recently.

#24 ·
Hey bob , do you have an email or facebook page I can send a video of my 2nd gear moving back and forth , to ? Because I'm gonna take the top cover off this weekend.

#25 ·
I took the cover off. Everything looks normal. My synchronizer plates do not pop up cockeyed when I slide the collars. Trying to send you the video bob. As of right now it says file exceeds maximum size.

#26 ·
I can't seem to upload the video I made. But I wanted to say that my first -second gear synchronizer assembly was new a year ago. My friend was suggesting it just might be tight........ When I was just out there looking at it I also noticed that 1st gear had the same amount of back forth movement/play. So I don't know . Does that tell you anything ?

#27 ·
My synchronizer plates do pop up cockeyed when I slide the collars
Do they come out of the assembly, or are they still flush with it? Mine would have one end pop out and that would jam it in third gear. I wasn't able to shift out of gear unless I physically got in there and pushed them back into place. They should have some play in them and slide back and forth a little bit, but not pop up out of the assembly. If their popping up and out, then somethings worn and didn't get replaced in the rebuild that you say it had.

#29 ·
The plates stay flat when I slide the collar

#30 ·
So ofcourse the shift tower is removed from the tranny right now. And I was just messing with the shift lever(stick) and when I tried to put it back on the tranny it the shift forks were not lining up and the stick was lost as hell, like it was stuck in a gear and the stick could move all around like it was in nuetral. You think this is related to it being hard going into 2nd gear ? I suspect if the stick isn't in the shift fork lug right it might make it hard to shift because if you're sliding the synchronizer assemblies by hand you have to be pushing on them kinda just right to get it to slide on...........

#32 ·
Okay , I read the thread. so replacing that synchronizer assembly spring, which was too short, allowed the tranny to spin freely again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.