Is This T150 Shot? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is This T150 Shot?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Is This T150 Shot?

When I purchased my Jeep I also inherited many parts. One of which is a T150 with a Dana 20 attached. I was playing around with it today and the Dana 20 seems to shift ok but the T150 is frozen. The input shaft won't move and it will not shift. I opened the cover and it was completely dry and full of rust. The gear teeth looked ok but everything has a coat of rust on it. I'm not a transmission guy but know I that there are some pretty intricate pieces in this thing and wonder if it is toast now. Any thoughts? Hopefully I can post a pic tomorrow. Rob

robs7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Post pics, but all the bearings would have to be replaced and the gears MIGHT wear in clean again at the teeth.....might. post pics.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Yep get some pics T150s are cheap when you find them and parts are available if the gears look good then a master rebuild kit may solve all your problems the T150 is an easy rebuild.
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
robs7
1983 CJ7 

I tried posting some pics of it this morning and after I cropped the heck out of photos to get below the 540 allowable file size it said "upload failed". I guess there are still issues with posting pics so I'll try again in a bit. Rob
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Ok here's the pic. At least I think. We'll see if it loads this time. Rob
image-2670752779.jpg

Unread 06-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Rebuild time
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

Ouch. Those gears are tough though. I'd say buy a rebuild kit and get to work. The T150 is a relatively simple tranny to tear down and rebuild.
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
robs7
1983 CJ7 

So from what I'm hearing it is rebuildable? On a scale from 1-10 what's the difficulty and whats the rough cost doing it myself? I may do it for the learning experience and then pass it on to someone who could use it. Rob
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

That's not a good "learner" because it will be more difficult to disassemble it and you won't have a accurate feel of how it comes apart vs how it goes together. Heat and pullers may be needed when otherwise not called for. It might be able to be rebuilt and put in use again, it will just be a little more difficult. If upon disassemble, you discover more damage, you will need experience to make a judgement call on wether to proceed. Some times the shafts have built in surfaces that the gear clogs rest or spin on and if badly pitted or corroded, you might experience excelerated wear when back on use. Gear whine might be experienced as well. With break in, it will quite down.... In this case, maybe not.
I would give this one away and upgrade to something else...

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj
That's not a good "learner" because it will be more difficult to disassemble it and you won't have a accurate feel of how it comes apart vs how it goes together. Heat and pullers may be needed when otherwise not called for. It might be able to be rebuilt and put in use again, it will just be a little more difficult. If upon disassemble, you discover more damage, you will need experience to make a judgement call on wether to proceed. Some times the shafts have built in surfaces that the gear clogs rest or spin on and if badly pitted or corroded, you might experience excelerated wear when back on use. Gear whine might be experienced as well. With break in, it will quite down.... In this case, maybe not.
I would give this one away and upgrade to something else...
Thank you for the advice. I know a few guys that may be able to use it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.