T150 REBUILD ?? Please Help. (Pictures) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T150 REBUILD ?? Please Help. (Pictures)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-27-2011, 03:49 AM   #1
langstonjones
1994 YJ Wrangler 

T150 REBUILD ?? Please Help. (Pictures)

I currently have a '78 CJ5 with a T150 popping out of first. I picked up a parts Jeep this weekend that had a T150/D20 with it. It appeared to be in very bad shape, so I figured I would pop the transmission open and have a peek to see if this was something I wanted to tackle or not. When I separated it from T case I could hear a bunch of parts rattling in there. I guess these were needle bearings and such. Anyway, I'm having trouble with the 3rd step of procedure where it says remove locknut, flat washer, and T Case gear. Is there a trick to getting this lock nut off? Thanks for any input.

langstonjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

by the looks of the tranny there is no shifter ring in the back of the tranny that is why you found the square pc - try hitting the nut with a impact gun to spin it off
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

The loose parts are the syncro blockers and the pocket bearings (they go between the input and main shaft). Loosing these is a common problem with the T150 during disassembly due to the main shaft sliding back when the t case is removed.
To remove the locking nut, place both locking rings in the transmission on a gear (it looks like your there now). That will "lock the trans in two gears, keeping the mainshaft from turning. Using a socket, remove the self locking nut (an air impact will make short work of this), bull gear, and adapting ring. This will allow you access to the rear bearing snap ring. The rest of the disassembly instructions should be in your book.
On a side note, be sure to keep an eye on the rear shaft during reassembly. They have a bad habit of sliding back and if that happens, you will be tearing the trans down again. You can use a piece of wire wrapped around the mainshaft to help retain it. Bolt it to one of the holes, wrap it around the bull gear, and bolt it tight to the other side on the back of the trans as a bearing retainer.
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
stodg73
1979 CJ5 

These rings should be furthers apart, while in the trans, in order to lock the trans up to facilitate the removal of the nut and gear.

This pic show the bearing and syncro slider.

This shows where the syncro sliders go. There are 3 of them.

This shows where the bearings go. Make sure to use vaseline to hold the bearings in.

This shows how they fit together outside of the trans.

This is why I have the trans apart.

Another reason, same trans.

Some small pieces removed for blown trans.
Unread 09-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
langstonjones
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help especially the pics! !! I've got everything apart and am gonna clean everything up and I will post more pics to get opinions on the condition of parts. This was more of a bucketlist rebuild than anything, but if I succeed I will be very happy. Thanks again for the help so far. David

Sent from my DROID X2 using JeepForum
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:27 AM   #6
langstonjones
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz401 View Post
by the looks of the tranny there is no shifter ring in the back of the tranny that is why you found the square pc - try hitting the nut with a impact gun to spin it off
What does this mean? Hate to sound stupid, but when you say there's no shifter ring does this mean something is missing, left out, eat up....?
Unread 09-28-2011, 04:46 AM   #7
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

see were his 2 fingers are pointing
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/y...f/DSCF0862.jpg

your does not have one
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...-28-24_597.jpg
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:18 AM   #8
Falcon_CMH

I see his having both am I missing something.
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #9
stodg73
1979 CJ5 

On the first OP pic, they are both there. Look closely and you will see the rings in there that I am pointing to. They are there, just hard to see because of the shadows.
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
langstonjones
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yep they are both there. We're all good so far. Been cleaning parts this afternoon. The "innerds" look good overall from what I can tell but the previous owner never said anything was wrong with it. I've got it apart though, so there's no way it's going back together with out at least a minimal rebuild kit. Stay tuned.

side note: Does anyone have a link to an excellent step by step rebuild procedure? The manual is great if you know the terminology and can glance at a bad parts breakdown and know what your looking at.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.