T150 problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T150 problems

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-01-2004, 07:56 PM   #1
cj7_79

T150 problems

Having problems with our t150 transmission. Searched and didn't find my exact answer so I will post.

The transmission likes to pop out of 2nd gear. You can hold it in with force and it will pop out sometimes. It also likes to make a grinding noise. It has been rebuilt in July, and been rebuilt once before. The first time it had a new synchro put in it, which we were told was good when it was rebuilt in July. The 2nd gear also looked good, mechanic (good friend of ours) thinks my dad had a new 2nd gear put in it the first time, which he can't remember. It also has gear oil flying from the transmission into the transfer case through a weep hole? Have to ask him for the exact details. It done the same thing the first time after we rebuilt it, first time didn't get some kind of seal you had to order extra, but we got it on the last rebuild and it still leaks. If you need more details I can ask him tommorow. But can anyone give us some insight? Thanks!

cj7_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 07:11 AM   #2
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

sounds like the gear teeth (small ones that lock it in gear)are gone and the brass ring and did they replace the sleeve at the same time - if the small teeth are not pointy or longer on one side they are shot same for the brass blocking ring too and the inside of the shifter ring is beat up at the end replace it to
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 05:00 PM   #3
cj7_79

Is there anyway to tell without having to take the tranny back apart completely? Can you just take the top off and look down in there?
Unread 12-02-2004, 05:07 PM   #4
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

you can do that and look there should be enough room to get the tranny top off
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 05:58 PM   #5
cj7_79

Just talked to dad wallago, reminded me to post that there was a new 2nd gear synchronizer put in the first time it was rebuilt. The synchronizer is the brass thing right? It likes to also make a little noise in 2nd gear, but not bad since it was rebuilt. Also, it likes to leak gear oil from the transmission to the transfer case, but he had a new mainshaft seal put in it, any ideas? Thanks!
Unread 12-03-2004, 07:42 PM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Broken detent spring, worn detent, loose,bent, or worn shift fork. pocket bearing worn, syncronizer sleeve installed backwards. Piliot bushing bad.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2004, 11:42 AM   #7
thompsong

I have a t150 in a 78 CJ7. I've had it apart twice. The early models did not have the weep hole for the fluid to go into the trnasfer case and they had a problem of burning up the output shaft on the transfer case if it wasn't put into gear frequently. You don't need the seal, it won't matter anyway and if you didn't put the oil slinger on ahead of it you could actually cause the rear bearing to burn out prematurely. Most of the time jumping out of second gear, and mine is starting to do that to, is becasue of downshifting a lot and wearing on the back side of the gear. My guess is as long as your pulling against the gear it stays in but as soon as you let up it jumps out. It will jump out going down hill when it is trying to hold back against the backside of the gear. Second takes the most wear. About the only real fix is a new second gear and then you haven't accounted for the wear on the cluster gear. The t150 was fairly prolific and they don't cost much from most of these guys that tear jeeps apart. If it were me, i'd try and buy a used tranny and either steal the parts from it or use it. Good luck.
thompsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2004, 12:01 PM   #8
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

As mentioned, you can remove the shifter cover and check the detent springs and shifter assembly for wear. This can be done by just removing the shifter through the hole in the floor. Often jumping out of gear is caused by end play in the mainshaft or end play of gears on the mainshaft. Often in rebuild kits there will be different thickness snap rings that can be used to adjust end play.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2004, 06:00 AM   #9
lil liberty
1989 YJ Wrangler 

take the floor pan off. take the bolts out that hold the top of the trans in. lift the top off. look at the shifting forks. you will see the are raised brass bumps on the end of the forks. these push the gears all the way into what ever gear you using. all you have to do is brase another-bigger tip back on. take a file smooth it down. it will stay in 2nd gear... use to fix these all the time. look around and see if you can find a t-18.
lil liberty is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.