T150 main shaft seal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T150 main shaft seal?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
radrick
1974 CJ5 

T150 main shaft seal?

My t150 leaks the oil in to my dana 20 case. I have been researching this for a while and came to the conclusion that the rear main shaft seal must be lekaing, because I have all the holes in the back of the trans plugged. What my question is, can you replace the main shaft seal with out pulling the trans apart, ie: pulling the main shaft? Can you pull the bull gear off the shaft and install the seal that way or does the trans need to be pulled and gutted? I have searched here and other forums with no clear answer.

radrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
radrick
1974 CJ5 

Help
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

You might and I say might be able to do it without pulling the mainshaft but thats a alot of torque on the nut and when you tighten it back down it is torqued to 150ft lbs. You will have to pull the transfer case of coruse.

Make sure the seal is put back on this way.
img_0040.jpg  
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
radrick
1974 CJ5 

Thanks for the info. It looks like it can be done to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.