T150 fresh rebuild Second gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T150 fresh rebuild Second gear

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 03-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

T150 fresh rebuild Second gear

Ok so got a question and maybe need a favor.

I just got done when I was home last time rebuilding my T150 I got my rebuild kit from Quadratech anyhoo 2 things missing from the kit but I carried on, one was the last snap ring on the mainshaft and 1 needle bearing.

When I rebuilt i checked my endplay of the first part of the shaft like the FSM says it was in spec well when I got to the last snapring on the end it was missing so I had to reuse the old one I had when I checked my endplay it was not in spec. Off the top of my head I think it was around .020 give or take one.

I put it together like that knowing better but did it anyway yeah I think it bit me.

Ok so go to drive it all excited it drives great hate the speedbumps LOL but anyway it jumps out of second gear.

I probably need to replace the engine mounts and the transfer case mount well the torque bushings they were a little loose.

On the snap ring does anybody have any laying around used nobody has just the snap ring new that I have found called Novak and Quadratech and neither had them and QT did not offer anything useful as to replacing the missing parts that were not in the kit the impression I got was buy the small parts kit that would fix it LOL.

Sorry for the long post stuck on the boat and ready to get home and fix her and drive

Unread 03-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Ivehad4
1978 CJ7 

Just finished doing my T150 a few weeks back. I had to re-use one of my lock rings as well. It didn't appear to have any problems so I don't think that's an issue. Like you, mine slipped out of 2nd after the rebuild. It had done that before. When I took it down the 2nd time, I found the synchro teeth on 2nd gear to be pretty worn. The mating teeth on the 2nd/3rd synchro asm. were also mangled. So I replaced both of those and now it doesn't slip out of 2nd. I really don't think the 0.020" of endplay is causing your slipping (spec is max 0.014"). Take your shifter back off and look at the 2nd/3rd shift fork to see if its bent or severely worn. Then take a look at the small syncro teeth on 2nd gear. I actually had to use a magnifying glass to look at these small teeth. If you replaced both the rear and front bearing and the shaft to shaft needle bearings you shouldn't have a lot of runout which could cause slip also, but you may want to check that. Let us know how it turns out.
1998 TJ 4.0
Ivehad4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Well got home today have not had a chance to tear into it but drove it again first is fine as soon as I let the clutch out in second it pops out and will not even think of going in not even holding it I mean it stays in the forward position almost like it goes past but will not lock into second gear.
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Ivehad4
1978 CJ7 

Pics of my 2nd gear teeth and synchro.
2nd-gear.jpg   synchro.jpg  
1998 TJ 4.0
Ivehad4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Ok got it figured out and well I am a DUMBA$% : I left the snap ring out of the front bearing housing and the bearing was moving forward and causing slop in the gears. Well at least I was faster getting the trans and transfer case out and in.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.