T150 bonehead mistake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T150 bonehead mistake

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
jonrunamoc

T150 bonehead mistake

I recently bolted in a perfectly good T150 into my 76 cj7. I had my 16 year old son bolt the bottom up and he stripped the bottom bolts, During the test drive the shifter locked up, I discovered the stripped out trans to bell housing mounts. Now there is brass in the fluid, I suspect the shaft was placed in a bind because of the mounts and it burned up the synchros. Do I need a rebuild?

jonrunamoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Welcome to the Forum.

I would repair the bolt holes, line it up, bolt it down, and see if it works.

Then I would use the Jeep as an "Educational Teaching Tool" to help build the character of my young son. I have been in your shoes... still am. Great opportunity for you and your son. Give him a task, and check behind him. Critique him and point out improvements that could be made, if any. If someone had taken that kind of time with me when I was young, I wouldn't have to do everything twice!

BTW- synchro kits are cheap.

Good luck...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
OleBlue73
1973 CJ5 

I used helicoils in all four of my trans to bellhousing holes to strengthen them. The threads weren't perfect to begin with. The grade of aluminum of the bellhousings is easy to strip.
OleBlue73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

If these are 7/16" bolts.
Do what I did-Drill and tap the b'housing for 1/2-13thd bolts.
IMO-the OEM bolts were to small to start with.
You may have to drill the mounting holes in the tranny out to 1/2" dia, also.
SO-how many extra chores did the kid get?------LOL
LG

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.