T-5 Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T-5 Problem

Free Flowmaster Gear from Black Friday to Cyber Monday!!!!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueCorbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!

Unread 02-08-2002, 11:40 PM   #1
Petey

T-5 Problem

I was test-driving my ’86 CJ7 during timing adjustments after installing a Howell FI kit.
I was in first gear starting to accelerate from a stop and heard a loud “pop” and the jeep would not go. The engine was running and you could hear noise coming from the transmission and t-case area. Not a loud noise just a small and fast clicking/rubbing sound.
With the engine running and in first gear the drive shaft is not turning.
After turning the shafts by hand in several different arrangements it appears that 1st and 2nd gear does not connect. I dropped the transmission out and started disassembly. I have not removed any gears yet, however, looking in from the top of the tranny with the top cover removed I cannot see any damaged parts.
Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks!

Unread 02-09-2002, 03:07 PM   #2
hamyscj

Did you check the clutch? I had one that the rivets sheared between the hub and the friction area. Does it attempt to move in gears 3-5? If no gears work, then you probably have an input problem, ie clutch or shaft. Was there any "sparklies" in the fluid when you drained it? That is usually a give away to internal damage. Good luck, Steve.
Unread 02-09-2002, 07:42 PM   #3
Petey

Steve, Yeah I checked the clutch. I put a new clutch and pressure plate in it in December and first suspected it for this failure. However it checked O.K.
Thanks

I found the problem. I went ahead and started disassembling the main shaft assembly.
By turning the input shaft and holding the output shaft from turning in 1st and 2nd, but couldn’t hold the output shaft from turning in 3rd, 4th and 5th I figured I had striped something in the 1st and 2nd gear synchronizer assembly, however, I could not see any damage. After fully disassembling the main shaft it was obvious the external splines on the main shaft and the internal splines on the 1st and 2nd gear synchronizer hub were stripped. Oh well, time to let go of a few more frog skins.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.